C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whatever happened to Ed Wright (pioneer LS1 tuner)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Whatever happened to Ed Wright (pioneer LS1 tuner)

For anyone that has owned an LS1 Corvette or F-Body back in the late 90s ... About the first guy to ever tune these LS1s was a guy named Ed Wright.

I think you could say he was the pioneer tuner of his time for this series of engine. He was expensive back then, but really about the only guy to fully understand the coding ... he must have had some friends working for Delphi.

The problem with Ed Wright's tuning back then was that he would "lock" the PCM and you could never get in there again to change any coding (unless you sent the PCM back to Ed himself).

Anyone ever know what ever happened to Ed Wright?

EDIT: "Thunder Racing" was also one of the first to start tuning the LS1 useing "LS1 Edit", but I believe Ed Wright was tuning the LS1 as early as late 1998

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
For anyone that has owned an LS1 Corvette or F-Body back in the late 90s ... About the first guy to ever tune these LS1s was a guy named Ed Wright.

I think you could say he was the pioneer tuner of his time for this series of engine. He was expensive back then, but really about the only guy to fully understand the coding ... he must have had some friends working for Delphi.

The problem with Ed Wright's tuning back then was that he would "lock" the PCM and you could never get in there again to change any coding (unless you sent the PCM back to Ed himself).

EDIT: "Thunder Racing" was also one of the first to start tuning the LS1 useing "LS1 Edit", but I believe Ed Wright was tuning the LS1 as early as late 1998

Pretty sure he retired just recently.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

My Firehawk had his tuning for a bit back in 2000 or so.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
BruteSpeed
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA

Ed is still tuning, FASTCHIP.com is his website. Bob
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard Ed is doing limited tuning at his home in Tulsa now. Doesn't have the shop anymore. This is just what I've heard though. He tuned my Camaro SS at his shop about 2 years ago. I doubt there is anyone better. He has even worked with GM on some factory tuning issues.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 AM
jp260z
Instructor

Yup Ed is still tuning at his home in Sand Springs OK by appointment. Tuned my modestly modified LS1 today and all I can say is WOW!! Completely transformed the car. I am absolutely convinced that Ed is the "Best of the Best" period! I feel very fortunate to have been able to make a short trip to have a legend like him work his magic on my car. Absolutely money well spent!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

A friend of mine got a chip for his 92 chevy conversion van/short bus. As funny as it sounds, he sure did help.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Ed tuned the modified LT4 in my 944 Porsche.

Get notified of new replies

To Whatever happened to Ed Wright (pioneer LS1 tuner)

Quick Reply: Whatever happened to Ed Wright (pioneer LS1 tuner)