C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator 7194 Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Predator 7194 Failure?

I just was in the process of installing the Diablo tune in my '08 C6 A6 for the first time and the unit just died or shutdown at the final steps of install. It appears it got to the point where it's supposed to confirm that I selected the Diablo tune, it's step 16 in the booklet, like the last step and that confirmation screen flashed for about 1/2 a second and then it went dead; just shutdown.

So then I tried unplugging the unit, turned the ignition back off, and plugged the unit back in again, like starting from step one, but now the unit does nothing. Wont boot up/start up, nothing. I was a little nervous, but started the car and no issues, so far. Drove it down the block and back and didn't really notice any diffrence.

So now I'm not sure what to think or do. Any one have an idea or three?

p.s. This is my 2nd Predator; I have one for my GTO, so I'm familiar with the process and I've never experienced anything like this before with my other unit.

Last edited by Thunder8; 05-05-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: info
Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 AM
gnmontagnino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to reach out to 06 MonteSS he is the Diablo guru on this sight
Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

If it shut off, and wont power back up, my guess is you popped a fuse, likely the cig lighter fuse, check it out...
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

yeah, check your cig lighter and aux power fuses... if those blow, your obd port has no power either...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-07-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah, check your cig lighter and aux power fuses... if those blow, your pbd port has no power either...
Thanks guys...I'll check those when I get home from work today.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

Please post some feedback when you get loaded and going. I have an JSB 08 A6 and looking at a predator set-up. I hope to improve the way the transmission acts and would like to here how it does in that area and a little more power is a good thing have. I also like the fact you can reload the stock tune if there is a warranty problem or move it into a GS or ZO6 down the road. GL with the install.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

you can also plug it in to another vehicle's obd port to see if it powers up... that'll tell ya if it's the predator or your car having the issue...

have the power adapter for it? can plug that into it also and see if it powers up...
Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Thunder8
Racer

you can also plug it in to another vehicle's obd port to see if it powers up... that'll tell ya if it's the predator or your car having the issue...

have the power adapter for it? can plug that into it also and see if it powers up...
So, here's the latest. I checked the fuses, both the Lighter and the Accessory, both are good. I tried plugging the unit into the port again and then turned on the ignition, nothing. I've got the power adapter so I tried that and the screen lit up but stayed completely blank.

On another note, the tune definetely took. I drove the car for about an hour yesterday and it was very apparent and the car performed very well, even the shifts are better.

But I don't know what to do now about the dead Predator.

Monte: any more suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Thunder8
So, here's the latest. I checked the fuses, both the Lighter and the Accessory, both are good. I tried plugging the unit into the port again and then turned on the ignition, nothing. I've got the power adapter so I tried that and the screen lit up but stayed completely blank.

On another note, the tune definetely took. I drove the car for about an hour yesterday and it was very apparent and the car performed very well, even the shifts are better.

But I don't know what to do now about the dead Predator.

Monte: any more suggestions? Thanks
on the back of the predator, you'll see a recessed screw... try turning that while the unit is powered up - that screw is for the screen contrast, and hopefully should bring things back into view...

if not, then it sounds like the screen may have crapped out, so you should call diablo tech support on Monday...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Thunder8
Racer

on the back of the predator, you'll see a recessed screw... try turning that while the unit is powered up - that screw is for the screen contrast, and hopefully should bring things back into view...

if not, then it sounds like the screen may have crapped out, so you should call diablo tech support on Monday...

Thank you for your suggestions. The screen and or unit is dead now. I'm just glad it didn't screw anything else up or end up with a no start situation. I'm going to be contacting Diablo TS on Monday first thing for sure!!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by 2004
Please post some feedback when you get loaded and going. I have an JSB 08 A6 and looking at a predator set-up. I hope to improve the way the transmission acts and would like to here how it does in that area and a little more power is a good thing have. I also like the fact you can reload the stock tune if there is a warranty problem or move it into a GS or ZO6 down the road. GL with the install.
This is my 2nd Predator; my first one is for my GTO, but that was an M6not an A6 like on my 08 C6. I liked it so much on the GTO I figured I'd get one for the Vette too.

I'm very happy overall (save for the dead Predator now that I've still have to go through tech support on Monday to trouble shoot, hope that goes well), with how the unit performed.

It definetely "wakes" up the car, shifts are quick and crisp now, car has a very noticeable increase in power too. It pulls much harder from mid-upper RPM range and better throttle response from the jump. Guessing that a took a few tenths off my 0-60 times too.

For $275 shipped, this has to be one of the cheapest HP gains you'll find anywhere!

Oh, I almost forgot about the increase in freeway MPG. I travel 41 miles one way to work and it's 95% freeway. I reset the avg. MPG indicator. I was getting a solid 25-26 MPG using cruise prior to installing the Predator tune. I couldn't believe it when it now averages 30.5 MPG at 72mph I checked it twice and came up with the same result, amazing

To me, it's worth every penny! I just hope tech support takes care of me.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Thank you for the update. Also glad to here the tune loaded and you had no running problems.Please let us now how your dealings with tech support work out. That was a great price for the unit! Best I can find is 300 and fifty more for the PC cable. This was a new unit correct? Could need some of that info also.. Nice improvement on MPG! I did 27.5 mpg on a vegas trip last may. You tell people and they look at you like you are crazy These cars are awsome all around and have killer style.. Wife is good with it so just need to find the deal and pull the trigger. Thanks again! Ill keep checking to see how it goes.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

if there is a screen issue, no big deal, the tool is under warranty for 2 full years.

fill out the rma request form on our website and we'll get it fixed up asap.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Mike does the tuner adjust anything in the trans? The A6 in the 2010/11 has different programing from early years from what I have read. I know it's been asked a zillion times but on a "2010" LS3 what kind of performance and mileage improvement can one expect.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

No, trans support is limited to improved shifting through the torque management changes in the tune.

Trinity will be getting updates to add support for the TCM in the near future.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
if there is a screen issue, no big deal, the tool is under warranty for 2 full years.

Thanks
From what Monte posted and from what I can tell, that seems to be the issue and I hope nothing more. I'll fill out the RMA request form as soon as I get home from work; assuming I need my Predator specifics, i.e. serial number, etc. Thanks for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Predator 7194 Failure?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by 2004
Thank you for the update. Also glad to here the tune loaded and you had no running problems.Please let us now how your dealings with tech support work out. That was a great price for the unit! Best I can find is 300 and fifty more for the PC cable. This was a new unit correct? Could need some of that info also.. Nice improvement on MPG! I did 27.5 mpg on a vegas trip last may. You tell people and they look at you like you are crazy These cars are awsome all around and have killer style.. Wife is good with it so just need to find the deal and pull the trigger. Thanks again! Ill keep checking to see how it goes.
Sent you a PM re: Predator pricing
Old 05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport

Thanks
I just spoke with Mike and will be getting my RMA squared away today . I hope it goes smoothly and doesn't take too long...I still have to modify the Predator tune that I was able to load just before the unit died
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Thunder8
Racer

The Unit has been returned to DiabloSport, fingers crossed it goes well and quickly!! I'll post up after I know the end result when I get the unit back.

Quick Reply: Predator 7194 Failure?