C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a tune on a stock car a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
I have a serious, honest question. What are the trade offs? I mean if a 160 stat, intake and a tune results in a 25hp gain, and I don't doubt that it does, why doesn't GM do it from the factory? Can't GM design a better intake and use a 160 stat? Don't they know how to best tune their own engines? I just think there have to be some trade offs in reliability, air cleaning, emissions etc.
I can see your point, I wouldn't tune unless you've added anything aftermarket. As for them not doing it from the factory I believe that's more red tape than anything to do with the design of the car.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Guys.... Take a good look around....

Originally Posted by cstapp99
Lots of comments about a tune being helpful with the A6. Does the same go for an A4? I've got an 05 with the A4 and just added aftermarket exhaust. Otherwise totally stock.
Guys.... Take a good look around.... I don't think you'll find a better A6 or A4

tune than what we offer.

EVEN IF YOUR CAR IS TOTALLY STOCK My A4/A6 tune will totally change

how you feel about your car!

Give me a call any time.
Chuck CoW
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a serious, honest question. What are the trade offs? I mean if a 160 stat, intake and a tune results in a 25hp gain, and I don't doubt that it does, why doesn't GM do it from the factory? Can't GM design a better intake and use a 160 stat? Don't they know how to best tune their own engines? I just think there have to be some trade offs in reliability, air cleaning, emissions etc.
When GM makes a car,they have to design it to be able to perform whether it ends up in Fairbanks,AK in winter or Death Valley,AZ in the dead of summer. During it's lifespan,the car could end up at either of those points,or anywhere in between. All while maintaining emmisions compliancy.

Plus,they have to warranty it for 100k miles.You can bet they're going to hedge their bets as far as the tune is concerned.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone

...they have to warranty it for 100k miles.You can bet they're going to hedge their bets as far as the tune is concerned.
I agree with that but what I want to know is how close to the harry edge does a tuner go to get those extra ponies?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

The real answer is that GM is calibrating their vehicles to make power in an operating condition without causing any harm. They are tuning cars to accommodate the person going wide open throttle in fifth gear up a 30* incline in 120* heat with two fat asses in the car. They ate conservative in the sake of longevity, durability, and consistency. An aftermarket tune won't neccessarily put you at the ragged edge, but it may not be friendly with a full minute of sustained WOT in crappy conditions. For most drivers, that scenario will never happen and you can "safely" enjoy the car.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Good Point...

Originally Posted by DSteck
The real answer is that GM is calibrating their vehicles to make power in an operating condition without causing any harm. They are tuning cars to accommodate the person going wide open throttle in fifth gear up a 30* incline in 120* heat with two fat asses in the car. They ate conservative in the sake of longevity, durability, and consistency. An aftermarket tune won't neccessarily put you at the ragged edge, but it may not be friendly with a full minute of sustained WOT in crappy conditions. For most drivers, that scenario will never happen and you can "safely" enjoy the car.
Good Point... The manufacturer always does a lowest octane, worst abuse, and bad environment

test to be absolutely sure they are safe and the cars will survive.

As tuners, I know that I always do something similar, but some of the things I personally

do to minimize problems are.....

I ALWAYS INSIST on a 160 deg stat with specific fan calibrations. HUGE BENEFIT here,

I'm not after power so much with that one, it's more of a safety/longevity thing.

NEXT, I highly recommend EXCLUSIVE use of 93 octane when available, and a minimum of

91 octane when 93 is not available....

Beyond that, a SMART calibration and a sit down with the customer explaining

what I've done and why.... And I make some suggestions for how to use the car

intelligently to make it perform, and most of all...to make it KEEP ON GOING...and GOING...and GOING.

Chuck CoW
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 PM
detaildude
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As an owner of an 05 A4 I can attest to the value of a tune. My only performance mods are NPP over the axle exhaust, 160 t-stat and a vararam intake. I then let the mad scientist Chuck from CoW have at it a couple of weeks ago and I'm totally impressed with his skills and with the results. He completely woke up the car(as I expected...I'm not new to tuning) and made it run better and more efficiently while upping the fun factor 10 fold.

A tune on a completely stock car, especially an A4, IMO would be money well spent.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 AM
1st Time Corvette
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driver_WT
I have a 2008 LS3 with manual trans and Halltech Superbee. Tune made a noticeable difference in throttle response (which is what I was going for), and the increase in gas mileage will pay for the cost of the tune over time. So it is essentially free.
Mine is a 2011 GS auto bone stock. As yours, I'm thinking of Halltech and a tuner. What tuner did you go with? Diablo, Jet?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default VARARAM! & AutoCal with Chuck CoW TUNE!....

Originally Posted by 1st Time Corvette
Mine is a 2011 GS auto bone stock. As yours, I'm thinking of Halltech and a tuner. What tuner did you go with? Diablo, Jet?
VARARAM! & AutoCal with Chuck CoW TUNE!....

And a CoW BOOSTER! will just simply add to that!

Chuck CoW
Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default VARARAM! & AutoCal with Chuck CoW TUNE!....

VARARAM! & AutoCal with Chuck CoW TUNE!....

And a CoW BOOSTER! will just simply add to that!

Chuck CoW
Old 11-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Not to toot my own horn ...but...

It would seem the fastest bolt on C6 on CF is a GS running our 93 octane tune

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...-question.html

11.74 @ 120

Last edited by Mike@DiabloSport; 11-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Danfw
Intermediate

Newbie question, I'm sure. Yes, my 2008 LT3 A6 with 20k miles all stock isn't even here yet; still waiting for a truck to pick it up and bring it to me..... hopefully before Christmas! but that's now much of a newbie I am. Last Corvette I had was a '77.

I'm reading about the tuning; we live 100 miles from the nearest 'performance' shop, no dynos nearby, no (legal) drag strip, etc. so I'm pretty much on my own. Is the tuning something that an individual buys the device from a vendor, mods you've made, or select from a pre-set list and it does it, or do you provide the info to someone (elevation, mods, type of driving, etc.) and they recommend the programming changes? I'm just looking for crisp shift, throttle response and hopefully otimize mileage when I'm not lead-footin it.

Could someone please reply for point me to where I need to go (be nice) to find out more info, with out volumes of tech data. Main quesiton is; is this something a standard car guy can get and figure out without a dyno or taking it to a 'tuner'?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Good Point... The manufacturer always does a lowest octane, worst abuse, and bad environment

test to be absolutely sure they are safe and the cars will survive.

As tuners, I know that I always do something similar, but some of the things I personally

do to minimize problems are.....

I ALWAYS INSIST on a 160 deg stat with specific fan calibrations. HUGE BENEFIT here,

I'm not after power so much with that one, it's more of a safety/longevity thing.
How does running a lower thermo stat help in safety/longevity? Is there some type of data to back this up over running what the manufacturer insists on running ?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Colder thermostats just help to keep underhood temps down. Every car I've ever tuned made more power with coolant at 200-210 than 180 though. That said, I run a colder thermostat in mine.

To Danfw, lots of people get remote tunes where hardware is sent and files are exchanged back and forth between the customer and supplier.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave - THEN SOME of us (ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) are fortunate enough to get the real tuners! Leaving to drive MY NEW Tune in about 10 minutes..... WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Danfw
Intermediate

after poking around it appears the 'remote tune' process is removing the on-board computer and shipping it off to be reprogrammed.
What parameters does the tuner need? normal altitude range, modifications (cat-back, air intake, etc)?
I was reading one of the articles on here and the person mentioned that after a battery disconnect, they lost their programming and it reset to factor default. Is the programming change done to an EPROM or such so that it doesn't reset to factory default on accident? And, in the event something did go south, is there a simple way to reset the on-board computer to factory defaults, but keep your changes to be reloaded at a later time?
Once the first go-round of programming is done, is there a way to receive 'tweeks' via email or FTP to be loaded via a USB or Bluetooth connection?
If the upgrade process is slow, i.e. air intake this month and a cat-back exhaust in a couple, is it safe to assume no damage will be done if you make the mods and wait to have the reprogramming done one you have all the upgrades done?
On some of my other cars, I've used JET and on my Dodge Diesel an EDGE box. Is there such a 'generic' device for a C6?
Besides air intake and exhaust, what other 'bolt on' mods are there to consider?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

Default Suggestion

Performing a tune with no mods will add power and increase the fun factor a little, however, I would suggest taking baby steps. First drive the car for a month and make sure it has no bugs. If you tune it before you really know the car, you will complicate the diagnostic process tremendously if a problem should arise. If everthing on the car works/runs good, then I would recommend buying a Diablo Predator. Do some reading on the Diablo forums and familiarize yourself with the unit, (I think its a U7194). I've used these before and they're very user friendly. They also give you the ability to make small adjustments after mods or pull the tune completely without the help of a shop or tuner. They have a good support system and will not screw up the car if you follow their directions. The reason I recommend the Diablo is that its the best and safest hand held tuner,(in my opinion). With your distance from a tuning shop being considerable, I think it's best that you learn to do some tweaking yourself.

If you want to make a bigger power increase then get a cold air intake like a Halltech or Slp blackwing, etc. If you have the NPP exhaust, I say leave it alone, (the exhaust). If you don't I would recommend either used NPP mufflers or a Corsa Sport system. Great sound with good power and NO DRONE!!! Any system other than a Corsa or a stock/modded NPP is a waste of money in my opinion. If you would like more info or suggestions, feel free to pm me. I won't steer you wrong.

Good Luck with the new car.....Enjoy!

Last edited by Yawlak80-86; 12-18-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a tune on a stock car a waste of money?

Old 09-01-2015, 01:10 PM
g's13 GS
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

how can I tell if I have a stock or custom tune?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Ask someone to download it and compare it.....

Originally Posted by g's13 GS
how can I tell if I have a stock or custom tune?
Ask someone to download it and compare it.....

or, have someone with a tech II read your CVNs and call me with the numbers.

or, note the temps the fan turns on and off and compare to stock settings available around the forum.

If it has a higher rev limiter than stock, or the skip shift is disabled and there is no dongle under the car.

There's tons of ways to tell.

Call me if you have questions.
Chuck CoW
Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 PM
rjkrumb
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I instaled a diablo tune on my 06 with A6 the shift improvement and a 2 to 3mpg was well worth money for me. It's hard to tell a 5% hp gain from the drivers seat but I'm happy

Quick Reply: Is a tune on a stock car a waste of money?