C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand Alone Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 AM
whatthef
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand Alone Engine Management

Hello All,

Is there any standalone engine management that can be employed with the C6? I no longer want to deal with the TPS (Tire pressure sensors)and the excess of other electronic controls that seem to plague the corvette. Simpler would be better. I know AEM and Motec have units, but I would like to find something that is ideally marketed as a kit replacement for kit car corvette engine installation.

Thankyou for your input!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

The tire pressure sensors have nothing to do with the engine management system. They are part of the BCM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
whatthef
Heel & Toe

Lets say you are at the strip and you want to run drag tires. If you run excessively low tire pressure, you will get a fault from the tire pressure sensors. After a short distance the engine gets derated by the engine management system right?

Another example; lets say I agree with the Z06 concept of less weight is good, so I replace all of my window glass with lexan. No point in having the electric motors in my doors, so I lose those. Now the computer doesnt see the door motors and starts causing problems. The system is a bit too smart for its own good... or for my good at least. There are multiple computers in the corvette and they are all tied together. I want a stand alone system for the engine and I will drive the car. Everything else is not wanted.

I appreciate your input DSteck. I guess I could have expanded on my concerns a bit.

Last edited by whatthef; 01-20-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
kjlindgr
Intermediate

ProEFI supposedly has a plug-n-play for the C6:

http://www.proefi.com/Chevrolet.html
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're wanting to gut the car of all it's modules, you could probably run whatever you want. Seems a shame though, unless you're building an all out race car.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I've never had a problem with tire pressure sensors restricting me, and I ran around with a drag pack with no sensors for a few thousand miles straight.

If you really wanted, you can gut the modules and still use the factory PCM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:51 PM
whatthef
Heel & Toe

It has been my experience that when you upset one module, the rest kind of go on strike until all is fixed. I am just looking for the easiest way to remove all obstacles. ProEfi does say they have a plug and play unit. That sounds very promising. I hope to have time on Monday to focus on this and see what they offer.

DSteck, I am blown away that you were able to go so long without the tire pressure sensors. I find it odd how different cars can respond so differently to the same faults.

I guess I am part of the fringe. While I love every mechanical aspect of the C6 Z06, I find everything computerized (not including the engine management) to be a frill which I dont want. The only place in North America that one can fully utilize the performance of these cars is on the track, so it does get lots of track time. I still find rolling down the street to be very exhilarating.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input.

Get notified of new replies

To Stand Alone Engine Management

Quick Reply: Stand Alone Engine Management