C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo with HP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo with HP Tuner

I got a Diablo tuner and was wondering if I switched to the HP Tuner does it read the tune that's already uploaded in my ECU? After it reads it can I use the Diablo to revert back to my OEM tune and than use the HP Tuner to rewrite the Diablo tune back in with tweaks?

Or am I way off...don't really know the HP Tuners options.

Much Appreciated!

Last edited by V8ANGER; 10-23-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

Oh and anything better than HP Tuners recommended?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Rev Xtreme
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

If you want to ever sell or unlock the VIN from the Diablosport do this first before modifying with HPTuners: Reset your Diablosport to stock BEFORE you use your HPTuners. This will release the VIN attachment to the Diablosport and "unlock" it.

IF you want to use HPTuners to modify your Diablosport file, then just read the calibration flash that's in the computer right now, modify and reinstall.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev Xtreme
If you want to ever sell or unlock the VIN from the Diablosport do this first before modifying with HPTuners: Reset your Diablosport to stock BEFORE you use your HPTuners. This will release the VIN attachment to the Diablosport and "unlock" it.

IF you want to use HPTuners to modify your Diablosport file, then just read the calibration flash that's in the computer right now, modify and reinstall.
exactly...

Thanks Matt.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

Makes sense, I forgot about that whole VIN being locked. Thanks! Your a great help. Are you running a HP Tuner? I like my Diablo Sport but it can't disable my rear AF sensors and the check engine light is bothering the hell out of me. Diablo has done it's job besides that.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by V8ANGER
Makes sense, I forgot about that whole VIN being locked. Thanks! Your a great help. Are you running a HP Tuner? I like my Diablo Sport but it can't disable my rear AF sensors and the check engine light is bothering the hell out of me. Diablo has done it's job besides that.
He can make you a custom tune to address those issues, that you can load to your current Diablo device, via email...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
He can make you a custom tune to address those issues, that you can load to your current Diablo device, via email...
$$?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

My actual question is how can I get to do that with my diablo predator and how much money would it take?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

plug the tool in, let it read the current tune out as a 'backup', export that to a PC, email it to him, pay him $(?), then he sends you a new tune that you load to the Predator, then flash to the car
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

plug the tool in, let it read the current tune out as a 'backup', export that to a PC, email it to him, pay him $(?), then he sends you a new tune that you load to the Predator, then flash to the car
I meant the program to do it myself if I wanted to. Is it available?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

No sir...we sell our software to professional tuning shops, its $2500...a bit pricey to tune one car
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

No sir...we sell our software to professional tuning shops, its $2500...a bit pricey to tune one car
Understood, I was just curious
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Rev Xtreme
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

My actual question is how can I get to do that with my diablo predator and how much money would it take?
If you wanted to continue to use the Predator, I can perform the full custom engine tuning which would include the SES code removal too. You will pickup a few ponies, and eliminate the light.

The cost would be $149 for this. I just need the backup file as Mike has already explained.

- Matt

Last edited by Rev Xtreme; 10-24-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

If you wanted to continue to use the Predator, I can perform the full custom engine tuning which would include the SES code removal too. You will pickup a few ponies, and eliminate the light.

The cost would be $149 for this. I just need the backup file as Mike has already explained.

- Matt
Good price, I'll be in touch
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I would be able to hook you up with this as well... a custom tune can be created for your car starting from a copy of your original backup stock tune file from the predator... you'd export the "original backup" and "last tune written" tune files from the predator to your pc... then you would email them, new custom tune file gets created and emailed back to you, you import it into the predator, then install to the car. I provide full step by step instructions on how to do all of that, so no worries

Since you have a predator - do you also have the usb/serial cable and power adapter that's required so that you can connect it to your Windows PC in order to import/export tune files and data logs? if not, you will need to get those items first... you will also need to download and install the DSDownloader software, which can be obtained free from diablosport's site...

I can do just the disabling of the rear O2 trouble codes and related items for only $35 if that's what you want... or I can also do a full complete custom tune for your car/setup for only $135 - which would also include the trouble codes/related items obviously since it would be a complete tune....

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc... and sometimes, maybe even a little better gas mileage - if you can keep your foot out of it! hahaha...

as far as gains go or track times, it all depends man.. absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, how much highway vs. city driving, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play...

I CAN tell you that you will have a very noticable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

I have proven gains for people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque, and 1-3mpg - over and above what the diablo tunes give you to start with... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...

A couple of the recent tunes I did, one gentleman gained 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile, and another one gained 4 tenths.... so yes, the preset tunes that come on the tools are conservative, and there are more gains/performance to be had for sure...

any questions, please feel free to hit me up!

thanks!
-Lew

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I would be able to hook you up with this as well... a custom tune can be created for your car starting from a copy of your original backup stock tune file from the predator... you'd export the "original backup" and "last tune written" tune files from the predator to your pc... then you would email them, new custom tune file gets created and emailed back to you, you import it into the predator, then install to the car. I provide full step by step instructions on how to do all of that, so no worries

Since you have a predator - do you also have the usb/serial cable and power adapter that's required so that you can connect it to your Windows PC in order to import/export tune files and data logs? if not, you will need to get those items first... you will also need to download and install the DSDownloader software, which can be obtained free from diablosport's site...

I can do just the disabling of the rear O2 trouble codes and related items for only $35 if that's what you want... or I can also do a full complete custom tune for your car/setup for only $135 - which would also include the trouble codes/related items obviously since it would be a complete tune....

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc... and sometimes, maybe even a little better gas mileage - if you can keep your foot out of it! hahaha...

as far as gains go or track times, it all depends man.. absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, how much highway vs. city driving, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play...

I CAN tell you that you will have a very noticable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

I have proven gains for people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque, and 1-3mpg - over and above what the diablo tunes give you to start with... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...

A couple of the recent tunes I did, one gentleman gained 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile, and another one gained 4 tenths.... so yes, the preset tunes that come on the tools are conservative, and there are more gains/performance to be had for sure...

any questions, please feel free to hit me up!

thanks!
-Lew
Thanks for the response Lew, I guess there's two tuners to choose from now. I know tuning is heavily dependent on experience and how long you guys been tuning so if you two wouldn't mind I'd like to know your tuning resume and I'll choose the best between the two. Hopefully a third doesn't come by...this is just to be fair between choosing between two tuners without price being a factor. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

have been with diablosport products and tuning since 2006...
am a consultant for them for about the past 4 years...
have been tuning "publicly" for people since 2008 and have done around 1,067+ custom tunes for people and their GM vehicles - I don't have the exact number in front of me at the moment, so it may be even a little more at this point... I can get you the exact number later, with a per year/vehicle breakdown if you'd like ...

I am a GM guy, and I only tune GM vehicles... I have done custom tunes for all of the 1999-2013 GM vehicles that diablosport's tools currently support... the biggest vehicle groups that the most tunes have been done for are for the corvette, camaro, sierra, and silverado vehicles.

I have done custom tunes for people all over the globe - U.S., Germany, Spain, France, Australia, Austria, Qatar, Norway, Russia, etc... and was even asked to fly out to Dubai to do some tunes for a few Camaro's and Vette's at a shop there. (I didn't go - no time, gave that opportunity to a fellow tuner friend of mine). And I have also done some custom tuning for a few performance shops around the U.S.

as mentioned before, I have gained people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque, and 1-3mpg - over and above what the diablo tunes give you to start with... have gained people 2 tenths to 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...

I can usually have the initial custom tune done and sent back to you within 24 - 48 hours from the time that I receive everything I need... and I provide info/instructions along the way for everything, so no worries...

once you get the tune, you'd import it to the tool and install to the car.. drive for a few days to get some miles put on, then I have you do some data logs for me. Send me the data logs, I go through them and do fine-tuning adjustments to the fueling/timing/etc as needed and send you an updated tune.. you install it, get some miles put on, get me a new data log to check, etc.

Also included with my tune cost & package deal costs, is 1 year of free tune updates. So if you were to get a tune now and then 3, 6, 11.5 months later you install a new mod (cai, headers, exhaust, NOS), just let me know - I'll ask you to do a new data log for me and I'll update your tune as necessary, and send you the revised tune! After the 1 year time period for free updates has expired, it would be just $75 for new tune updates - and that would cover you for another 6 months.

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-25-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo with HP Tuner

Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Rev Xtreme
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the response Lew, I guess there's two tuners to choose from now. I know tuning is heavily dependent on experience and how long you guys been tuning so if you two wouldn't mind I'd like to know your tuning resume and I'll choose the best between the two. Hopefully a third doesn't come by...this is just to be fair between choosing between two tuners without price being a factor. Thanks!
I can tell you honestly that you will be happy with Lew OR I. We are both conservative tuners and know Diablosport quite well!

As far as my resume, I'll take a quick clip here from my personal website:

"Working on his own vehicles to start with, and with the help of a good friend back in 2000, Matt started calibrating LSx vehicles. After opening a full service automotive performance shop, TT Performance Parts Inc., back in 2003 he took over all tuning services for the business at the end of 2003. Since then, Matt has tuned thousands of LSx vehicles, with HPTuners being his suite of choice for the stock ECU calibrations. After working with numerous LSx vehicles, he expanded his knowledge base to standalone engine management software (Specfically; Haltech ECU Manager, AEM EMS, FAST C-Com, FAST XFI, Big Stuff 3, Accel Gen 6/7 DFI+, TurboXS), and then into the late-model Ford (1996+), and Dodge Hemi (06+ Charger, Challenger, Jeep SRT-8, 300C). He works with numerous other softwares now including, but not limited to the Diablosport CMR (Custom Predator/InTune/Trinity tunes for GM LSx, Dodge Hemi, Ford 96+), Delta Forces Tuning Suite (Ford 96+), EFILive (GM 97+ LSx) and LS1Edit/LS2Edit."

I have numerous 6-7-8 second cars built and tuned under my belt. I am currently the lead tuner down here at RX Performance Products LLC, was hand-selected by Tracy Lewis owner of RX and relocated me from New Jersey to Florida due to my calibration & management skills.

I have been featured by GM High Tech Performance numerous times for my tuning and my shop as with others that I have worked for. You can check out some articles:

GMHTP Solely Stainless

GMHTP 383ci LS1 Stroker Tuning

GMHTP LS3 Swap & Tuning

GMHTP 05 GTO Heads/Cam Tuning

GMHTP 2006 C6 Trick Flow Heads

- Also my shop & my tuning was featured in a book by Chris Werner, "How To Rebuild Your LS-Series Engine".

- My shops & my tuning were behind a few NASA championship winning cars. Here is a clip of the LS3 RX7 we built for NASA ST-1, $50k build walking around $500k cars TTP USA LS3 RX7

I can estimate that I have performed 3000+ LSx tunes, and then thousands of other tunes combined between Ford/Dodge and Standalone ECU's.

That's it! Like I said, Lew OR I would be a great choice.

Last edited by Rev Xtreme; 10-25-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Correct ^ ^ ^

can't go wrong with either one of us man... you'll be happy either way

what I CAN tell you is this:

if you plan to go forced induction on your car at all - I do not do email tuning for those setups... I'm not comfortable doing forced induction setups via email...

I'm not sure if Rev Xtreme offers forced induction tunes via email either, but if they do, and that is something you are going to be doing to your car or consider doing, then I would tell you to go with them, since they have more experience in that area than I do.... and he has been in more articles/magazines than I have

I would say it depends on what are your future plans for your car?? what future mods are you going to be doing? if you're doing cai, headers, exhaust/no-cats, NOS, then I say either one of us will work out very well for you...

if you are going to be doing any forced induction, medium/big/aggressive cam, then I would suggest you go with RV Xtreme...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

I am honestly overwhelmed...LOL. Ummm....I'm going with Lew. Much thanks to both of you coming on here and explaining everything to me.

Quick Reply: Diablo with HP Tuner