C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners Training Guides needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HP Tuners Training Guides needed

I'm just getting started with HP Tuners and I was wondering where most people get there training/tuning information.

I have looked at the Tuning School and as it is very good it but doenn't cover the definition of all the parameters that exist within HPT. The HPT forum is a good place to learn bits and pieces but I would prefer a more structured learning inviorment.

I have noticed a couple of Greg Banish training books at Summit Racing and was wondering if they are worth having.

If anybody knows where I can get a definition of all the HPT parameters and how they react I would be very interested.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
jason3962
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought HPT yesterday- so I am in the same boat.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jason3962
I just bought HPT yesterday- so I am in the same boat.
PM sent
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
jason3962
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks! Red/Wayne
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

This will help immensely.
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Thanks,
I just bought Greg Banish's books which should help. I'll see how that goes before buying the video (pricey). Also, as I am wining about needing educational material I have actually been finding bits and pieces. I have also found value in downloading tunes from HPT repository.

At the moment trying to find out what Tip-In means. Anybody?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper
Thanks,
I just bought Greg Banish's books which should help. I'll see how that goes before buying the video (pricey). Also, as I am wining about needing educational material I have actually been finding bits and pieces. I have also found value in downloading tunes from HPT repository.

At the moment trying to find out what Tip-In means. Anybody?
My recommendation would be to stop and back up a step. Pricey could be if you do something wrong. I would not look at any of the calibrations on repository until you know for sure what you are doing. The cal is nothing but a bunch of numbers, it is more important to know why and what then to look at something someone else has done and not know if they actually know the basics themselves. It is about being done correctly, the books are ok, but they will not instruct you like the videos will. He even goes through and shows you how to setup your pids for your scanning software. If you are just starting it is going to get allot more expensive. For one you need a good wide band, everyone out there will tell you what they are using is the best, even if it is the only one they have ever used. Get a NGK AFX with the NTK sensor. It is manufactured by ECM, that is the company that companies like GM, Honda etc go to for wide band for their factory calibrators. You can get one of those for $300 or so, it will be very well spent. Don't settle for anything less than that, the information that the WB is giving you is the most important piece of information that your entire calibration is being based on. Don't skimp, it will cost you more in the long run.
Second tip in is when you start to accelerate, it is the change from one throttle angle to another. Trying to fix tip in issues can be difficult if you do not know what tables to look for, the videos cover that.
Good Luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

My recommendation would be to stop and back up a step. Pricey could be if you do something wrong. I would not look at any of the calibrations on repository until you know for sure what you are doing. The cal is nothing but a bunch of numbers, it is more important to know why and what then to look at something someone else has done and not know if they actually know the basics themselves. It is about being done correctly, the books are ok, but they will not instruct you like the videos will. He even goes through and shows you how to setup your pids for your scanning software. If you are just starting it is going to get allot more expensive. For one you need a good wide band, everyone out there will tell you what they are using is the best, even if it is the only one they have ever used. Get a NGK AFX with the NTK sensor. It is manufactured by ECM, that is the company that companies like GM, Honda etc go to for wide band for their factory calibrators. You can get one of those for $300 or so, it will be very well spent. Don't settle for anything less than that, the information that the WB is giving you is the most important piece of information that your entire calibration is being based on. Don't skimp, it will cost you more in the long run.
Second tip in is when you start to accelerate, it is the change from one throttle angle to another. Trying to fix tip in issues can be difficult if you do not know what tables to look for, the videos cover that.
Good Luck.
Thanks, very good advice.
Truth be known, I have been tuning older C4's ever since TunerCAT came out and I have spent a fair amount of time on the dyno too. However, my drawback is that I have not tuned with a MAF sensor nor have I ever tuned a transmission. It's a whole different world. Also, some of the terminology in HPT leaves me scratching my head.

I had an old tailpipe wide band but it dissapeared. The pump quit working on it and I think I tossed it. You couldn't trust it anyway. I'll invest in a good one soon.

BTW, my ignorance might be better understood if I let everybody know that right after I bought my C6 I had a bout with cancer and was out of circulation for about five years. I'm fit as a fiddle now and ready to play! Just have some catching up to do.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
yonson
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gregs videos are worth every penny... If anything get the first one.

Whatever wideband you get (I use and highly recommend the ECM AFM1000) do yourself a favor and install the sensor before the catalyst (if present) and orient it so that it is not pointing up because condensation can puddle in the sensor once you've turned the engine off and cause it to fail more often.

Last edited by yonson; 01-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yonson

Whatever wideband you get (I use and highly recommend the ECM AFM1000) do yourself a favor and install the sensor before the catalyst (if present) and orient it so that it is not pointing up because condensation can puddle in the sensor once you've turned the engine off and cause it to fail more often.
Will do on the video. Will do on the sensor. Never thought about condensate destroying the sensor - Thanks! Advice well received!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by yonson

Oops, missed that in the recommendation. You WB needs to be the first sensor in the system. A oxygen sensor leave a trail, similar to a comet if you can picture it, it can corrupt the information to the next sensor, so since you are calibrating in open loop who cares about the bad information on the factory sensor, but you want accurate info on yours, so it needs to be first. I actually remove the factory sensor and run my WB there and relocate my bank 1 sensor 1.
By the way, the MAF will be easy so don't sweat it, just need to make sure you are using a load bearing dyno. The video will show you how to setup the MAF pid. If you do it correctly, it will give you all your answers. You will see how much easier and more accurate this is than what you were using on the C4's.
Justin
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Oops, missed that in the recommendation. You WB needs to be the first sensor in the system. A oxygen sensor leave a trail, similar to a comet if you can picture it, it can corrupt the information to the next sensor, so since you are calibrating in open loop who cares about the bad information on the factory sensor, but you want accurate info on yours, so it needs to be first. I actually remove the factory sensor and run my WB there and relocate my bank 1 sensor 1.
By the way, the MAF will be easy so don't sweat it, just need to make sure you are using a load bearing dyno. The video will show you how to setup the MAF pid. If you do it correctly, it will give you all your answers. You will see how much easier and more accurate this is than what you were using on the C4's.
Justin

No problem, I knew to do that. Probably why I never got tailpipe WB's to work for me along with other things.

You know, it's all about the "big picture" so to speak and I'm starting to see it. I'm actually starting to like the MAF sensor! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Thanks friend!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Alvin@PCMofNC
Supporting Vendor

It's good to want to know how to tune yourself! Unfortunately there are be all, end all lessons out there for learning how to tune. There are good first steps but they just get you the broad idea.

I would say likely the best way to learn is to watch as someone tunes your car. I'm sure others do the same but we offer email tuning with HPtuners where the customer emails datalogs then we return a new tune file. What this does 1. Give the customer a good start, 2. lets him learn from example by see what is being changed
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
It's good to want to know how to tune yourself! Unfortunately there are be all, end all lessons out there for learning how to tune. There are good first steps but they just get you the broad idea.

I would say likely the best way to learn is to watch as someone tunes your car. I'm sure others do the same but we offer email tuning with HPtuners where the customer emails datalogs then we return a new tune file. What this does 1. Give the customer a good start, 2. lets him learn from example by see what is being changed
Actually, I'm already doing this - sort of. There is a guy on the forum that is helping me. He keeps a low profile and I promiced not to blow his cover but he provided me a base tune and answers questions when I have them.

I have spent the entire day experimenting by tweaking parameters and looking at the results. I can create my own PID's and I already have several histograms. Mastering the software was job one.

I have a lot of the engine parameters down pretty well and now I'm starting on the transmission.

I'm not just blindly plugging in parameters that's a bit too dangerous for me and besides there are just too many parameters.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm setting pretty well now. I'm feeling confident and my car is responding well to my changes.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I started with HPT last year and between reading Banishes books and endless reading on the hpt forums it is not that hard to pick up. There are some good general guides posted in various places around the net too. I found the key is to go slow, and read up on each parameter you want to change. Eventually it all comes together nicely.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I started with HPT last year and between reading Banishes books and endless reading on the hpt forums it is not that hard to pick up. There are some good general guides posted in various places around the net too. I found the key is to go slow, and read up on each parameter you want to change. Eventually it all comes together nicely.

I got both of Greg's books in the mail today. The Advanced Tuning book started out in a Senior level so to speak. Scared me a bit but then throttled back to my level of understanding. Darn good reference book. Almost 2:00 am and I can't put it down. Forcasted to rain tomorrow so no testing and lots of reading.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Just finished Greg Banish's books, High Perormance Fuel Injection Systems and Engine Management Advanced Tuning. He put a load of work into these books and I enjoyed them imensely. I recommend both of them but you are going to just buy one get Engine Management Advanced Tuning as it covers quite a bit of the other book.

Just my opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To HP Tuners Training Guides needed

Quick Reply: HP Tuners Training Guides needed