C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I notice a significant differance with a tune 05 Long tubes, Axle back, CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:36 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Would I notice a significant differance with a tune 05 Long tubes, Axle back, CAI

2005 z51 m6 with catless headers k and n "CAI" and BOrla axle back. I had the car tuned but I really didn't trust the guy after meeting him, and told him just to make it pass inspection and delete the o2 sensors and cats.

Would I Feel Seat of the pants different if properly dyno tune?
Is it worth the 450-bucks
would my MPG go up or down?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Car was never on the dyno
The timing and fuel maps were not changed
This was because the tuner was copying and pasting zo6 timing tables onto the tune he was doing for me, and watching and taking the car for about a 20 min ride I told him just make it so it will pass inspection. I felt the guy was kind of 'Micky Mouse'

thanks in advace for Opinions,Advice,Help
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dyno tune in conjunction with a road tune will absolutely be worth it. Are you planning more mods? If so do those mods first then dyno tune it. If not then dyno/road tune it and be done with it. Esp if you don't feel 100% about the previous tune. FYI a dyno tune usually only helps wot. Find a tuner that will road and dyno tune it.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

The shop I will go to would do a full street and Dyno tune. So you are saying that there would be a seat-of-the-pants difference I would definitely know the difference, thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if there was a shotty tune done before then yes you would feel a sop diff.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Seat of the pants difference by just De-crippling the motor output to the ground in torque management that GM uses to try to keep you from destroying the drive line through abuse.

The headers are good for another 25 to 30 HP with the tune.

CAI will be beneficial for street/strip where you are sitting and hot engine compartment baking the air going into the intake (read motor will retard timing due to the hot air), but when when moving with fresh air coming in to cool the engine compartment, not that big of a difference between the air temps.

As for the increased capabilities of airflow over the stock box, Problem is more in the turbulence of the stock LS2 intake manifold, and with that solved (ported to clean up the burs and edges), then may end up with a HP or two more with the CAI over the stock box/filters.

As for street tuning, verse Dyno turning, granted that you really need the both, but want to Dyno tune to begin with to get everything on the table, the street test tune afterwards to make sure that the car drivable still after the Dyno tune.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Would I Feel Seat of the pants different if properly dyno tune?

Having made those exact changes to my 2005 C6, the answer is with a 'good' tune - yes.

Is it worth the 450-bucks

To most people the answer is yes. There is disagreement on the value of street tuning versus dyno tuning but each has value and that is not what you asked.

would my MPG go up or down?

Your MPG would improve from the tuning but in many cases would go down from more aggressive driving.

Lastly, if you have a true CAI, that is one that is accessing outside air not from under the hood, the engine will definitely run stronger after it is heated up as it will not cause timing to be pulled from the tune due to significantly higher intake air temps. When I installed mine, I went from 130* IAT to a couple degrees over ambient which on that day was just 88* on an 85* day. On a stock tune, timing is starting to be pulled at 86* and is up to -9* timing at 130* temp.

Last edited by jim2092; 05-02-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Lastly, if you have a true CAI, that is one that is accessing outside air not from under the hood, the engine will definitely run stronger after it is heated up as it will not cause timing to be pulled from the tune due to significantly higher intake air temps. When I installed mine, I went from 130* IAT to a couple degrees over ambient which on that day was just 88* on an 85* day. On a stock tune, timing is starting to be pulled at 86* and is up to -9* timing at 130* temp.
i was doing some data logging and was checking out the drops in the iat temps due to the vararam and also looking at the timing being added and pulled under these circumstances. very enlightening.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default vararam

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
i was doing some data logging and was checking out the drops in the iat temps due to the vararam and also looking at the timing being added and pulled under these circumstances. very enlightening.
So the Vararam is the way to go!

Alan
Old 08-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Stock 2005 LS-2 M6 with tune, so you can use these for a base line (untuned the motor should be producing 350/350.

With long tube headers, you should be picking up around 20 to 35RWHP more.

When the TM is reprogrammed to stop hobbling the power output to the wheels (GM does this to try to save the drive line), this is where you going to feel the "Gains" instead. Hence even of a stock tune to re-tune, with the TM now allowing more power to the wheels, it a night and day difference with just the 12RWP gain. If you have a A4 or A6 that is re-tuned, will feel like a complete different car in regards to the amount power that the car will put down.

As for no cats and trying to pass smog, good luck on that. Might be able to get you pass a sniffer test if its running lean enough, but your never going to be able to get pass a physical inspection test with no cats. As for a OBDII plug in test, not a problem if your tuner has any talent reworking/reprogramming the system so you can pass that.

Get notified of new replies

To Would I notice a significant differance with a tune 05 Long tubes, Axle back, CAI

Quick Reply: Would I notice a significant differance with a tune 05 Long tubes, Axle back, CAI