C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Corvette Making Loud Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Black Kobra
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Corvette Making Loud Strange Noise

I have a 2007 Base Model Corvette LS2 Engine. The car runs very strong and runs good. I just bought it about 30 days ago.

On my way to work I started hearing a our strange noise. I did not recognize the boise. I ended up at the Chevy Dealer. The check it out for me for $75, which reasonable.

The told me that my starter needed to be replaced, which was shocking to me because it only had 43k miles on it. Then he said that the reason my starter stopped working was because for some reason the previous owner replace the 2 catalytic converters, but they replaced them with new cats that did not have heat shields, thus burning out the starter.

Then he told me that I had to replace the starter and the 2 cats. The starter cost $455. He stated that the Chevy dealership could do it for $2,340 parts and labor.

I was like Wooow! So I paid them the $75 for the diagnostics. Then I got another mechanic to do the starter parts and labor for $320. Also I got 2 new cats with heat shields parts and labor for $450. So the total price I paid was $770 total parts and labor for all plus the $75 initial check up by the dealer total price $845. A $1,495 savings over dealer price.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

rotflmao...and just think...that dealer was not gonna give you a reach around either.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Black Kobra
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You are correct.

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
rotflmao...and just think...that dealer was not gonna give you a reach around either.
Actually the muffler guy. Created a heat shield that covered the cats and all rest of the exhaust, plus he created a little more space between the starter and the cats, extra protection. He charged a big $86! I was like wow! So my total out of pocket is only $406 when you add in the cost of the replacing the starter, so my total savings was $1,934!

I got the muffler guy to go ahead and remove my mufflers and run the pipes straight and change my tips to two 12 inch horizontal square tips. We removed the mufflers, but kept the cats. He said he did it with '08 Vette and it sound good. So I was like hey you saved me almost $2,000, so I will give you $250 for the custom mods. 'Cause he was straight up with me. I gave him some more business. He could have screwed me like Chevy was trying to do but he didn't. The work will be finished tmrw. I will update you all and take pics.

Last edited by Black Kobra; 04-24-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Kobra
Actually the muffler guy. Created a heat shield that covered the cats and all rest of the exhaust, plus he created a little more space between the starter and the cats, extra protection. He charged a big $86! I was like wow! So my total out of pocket is only $406 when you add in the cost of the replacing the starter, so my total savings was $1,934!

I got the muffler guy to go ahead and remove my mufflers and run the pipes straight and change my tips to two 12 inch horizontal square tips. We removed the mufflers, but kept the cats. He said he did it with '08 Vette and it sound good. So I was like hey you saved me almost $2,000, so I will give you $250 for the custom mods. 'Cause he was straight up with me. I gave him some more business. He could have screwed me like Chevy was trying to do but he didn't. The work will be finished tmrw. I will update you all and take pics.
nice..looking forward to the pics.

Get notified of new replies

To '07 Corvette Making Loud Strange Noise

Quick Reply: '07 Corvette Making Loud Strange Noise