C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My COW Booster review

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There is a new alternative to the CoW booster that is adjustable on the fly that you may want to consider. Check it out below. The only thing is it won't work on 2005's, if yours is a 2005.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oller-wow.html
Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
Yes it is a special thing he adds to the car that no one else has.

That's why I got the booster and no tune. I don't want a tune right now because my car is stock.

The next thing I will do is have him install the 3.42 rear diff in my car.

After that I will think about a tune. For me a tune requires me adding a CAI and then long tubes headers ($1600) for the headers alone because I would buy American racing.

The rear diff makes a lot more sense to me money wise. These cars are cammed for 2.56/2.73 gears from the factory. They have to make good power way down low because of that. It's amazing that they can do that AND still have decent power up top.

That's why booster first then gears and I may never want more than that. The gear ratios are a lot different in the auto vs stick.
Though I can't say for certainty if the method Chuck uses is 'proprietary', i.e. he is mapping data with a method no other person is doing, or not...

but there are other throttle boosters, and what ever method they use, the result seems to be similar. I have a COW Booster/tune, and I like it. I put on a Vitesse throttle booster on top of that/separate from that, recently, and I really like that!

Given that there are other throttle boosters and or tuners, I'm not sure I'd say that Chuck has something no one else has, or does, unless I am misunderstanding something.

Last edited by J Christensen; 09-06-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many more parameters/software coding available to the engineers buried in the complex PCM programming than have been provided by HP Tuners and EFI Live to name a few. If you have the resources to gain access to the detailed coding information, there is a way to develop additional tuning software which can "unlock" these features and allow altering.

Ed M

Last edited by mowton; 10-22-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
There is a new alternative to the CoW booster that is adjustable on the fly that you may want to consider. Check it out below. The only thing is it won't work on 2005's, if yours is a 2005.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oller-wow.html
I haven't tried the COW booster so I won't comment one way or the other, but I do have the Vitesse throttle controller. I just installed it this weekend and all I can say is that the car now drives and responds like it should have from the factory. No more lazy throttle response, where you have to wait for a while for the ecm/tcm to decide to lazily respond. And you have on-the-fly adjustability.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:48 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mowton
There are many more parameters/software coding available to the engineers buried in the complex PCM programming than have been provided by HP Tuners and EFI Live to name a few. If you have the resources to gain access to the detailed coding information, there is a way to develop additional tuning software which can "unlock" these features and allow altering.

Ed M
So Ed, is there any reasonably priced program/gadget that can read the entire PCM and save that 'file', and also has a 'compare' function to see what is different/what changes have been made from the OEM PCM 'file'?
Old 09-08-2015, 01:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

In general HPT will give you access to additional tables if you can tell them what you want access to. I had a few things I wanted to see that weren't normally available for 05's and they made it happen for me.

Perhaps there are more even beyond that..
Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J Christensen
So Ed, is there any reasonably priced program/gadget that can read the entire PCM and save that 'file', and also has a 'compare' function to see what is different/what changes have been made from the OEM PCM 'file'?
I am not that knowledgeable in that area. Perhaps Greg or Howard from Redline Motorsports can chime in on this. You need to be able to read the coding to determine what lies beneath what we have been provided. You can see the the tip of the iceberg when you look at HP Tuners and EFI Live provided tables and subtle differences in some common tables....

Ed M
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by mowton
I am not that knowledgeable in that area. Perhaps Greg or Howard from Redline Motorsports can chime in on this. You need to be able to read the coding to determine what lies beneath what we have been provided. You can see the the tip of the iceberg when you look at HP Tuners and EFI Live provided tables and subtle differences in some common tables....

Ed M
I've seen some of the old E40 .bin files that used to be common and quite a few more tables are available than what's in HPT/EFILive. I've always had good luck emailing HPT and telling them what I need access to and what ECM/OS I'm using and they've always came through for me. Usually takes a week or so, though.

For the most part I think for any reasonable build, both HPT and EFILive offer access to plenty to get the job done, though they do have some differences
Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default NOpe.....

Originally Posted by J Christensen

NOpe..... The main calibration area is separate from the area the CoW BOOSTER! occupies.

It is not possible to read the Throttle Segments of the pcm and therefore no way to examine it.

For those of you who have tried to READ and or COPY the CoW BOOSTER! from one pcm to another,

you'll notice that at the first touch of the pedal the car shuts down....

Your HPT or EFI LIVE or whatever can not READ or FLASH the throttle control segments of the pcm.

Regardless of what tables you see or ask for, it's not something you can do.

Trust me, it took us years to figure all this out and make it work.

I wish it was that easy!
Chuck CoW
Old 10-21-2015, 12:47 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default CoW BOOSTER! is the WINNER! and it's now FREE!

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
Chucks tune gained me 2 to 3 th's in the 1/4
The car was at 12 .46 to 12.50 and now it runs 12.24 to 12.34.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:58 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
I'd be interested in how much improvement there is in the quarter mile times after these changes. Seat of the pants is a notoriously poor dyno judging from my personal experiences over the years.
I can answer this actually, we are not done fine tuning my tune and shifting but so far I have picked up 5/10ths in the 1/4 mile, I feel with a little more tweaking there may be another 2/10 or 3/10ths to gain. LS2 with A4.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Hey Rick.....

Originally Posted by GhostC6
I can answer this actually, we are not done fine tuning my tune and shifting but so far I have picked up 5/10ths in the 1/4 mile, I feel with a little more tweaking there may be another 2/10 or 3/10ths to gain. LS2 with A4.
Hey Rick..... Got married a few weeks ago and I'm just about caught up.

I'll get back to you in a day or so.

Thank you!
Chuck CoW
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

Thank you!
Chuck CoW
Congratulations to Mr and Mrs COW. Now that is an acceptable and understandable reason. I wish you both much happiness. Thanks Chuck, can't wait, another change like the last and I will be thrilled.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (10-17-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Hey Rick.....

Originally Posted by GhostC6

Thank you!
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: My COW Booster review