C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Voiding Question

Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Omg!

Originally Posted by Arclight
Not true. The TECH II GM scan tool cannot find any trace of a tune once returned to stock-but the global platform cars (Camaro etc) are accessed with the GDS 2 system and same tracks calibration history as well as CVN's.

Bottom line- nothing is impossible, and if someone is truly losing sleep over the subject,they shouldn't do any mods.

OMG! THANK YOU. Finally someone on Corvette Forum that understands how it works.

Yes, you are correct and finally someone other than me has explained it how it really works.

The TECH II can NOT see the programming history and the MDI/GDS can.

MOST tuned and mildly modified cars make it thru warranty without playing games or hiding anything.

GM is very good insofar as warrantying their vehicles goes.

They have a GREAT product and they stand behind it.....

Obviously more serious mods can be blamed for powertrain failures but they mostly leave people alone

with headers, intakes, tunes, and such.

Cams and blowers..... Not gonna happen.

They are not stupid and they have always been fair with people so far as I have seen.

Chuck CoW
Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Arclight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Ears wide open.. How confident are you in this response? No checksum data or other parameter is permanently altered?

If I copy my original tune, and have an issue, flash it back, they can not detect it, correct?

Can you share with us your background / first hand experience in this area?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570945598

"Just for fun, I went and checked my tune compared to he factory list of CVN's for my VIN and it does not match. I re-flashed mine to stock with HP tuners and it still showed a difference from what is online. After flashing it using a Tech II, the CVN's finally matched up, but the order they're listed in changed, probably showing big brother that at some point the programming had been re-written. "
Well, my car is a 2013,with 2800 miles with a Diablosport 93 Octane tune. I COPIED my original tune to the device. WHen you replace the "stock" program with HP tuner's they may be using a standard generic stock file. Hence the change in CVN's.Guys using HP tuner's who put YOUR ORIGINAL FILES BACK-you'll be good to go. I'm not going to try to convince anyone though-IMHO, this is a very well beaten DEAD HORSE- IF YOU ARE WORRIED-DON'T MOD YOUR CAR. Period.I am convinced and don't loss on wink of sleep. Guys spend THOUSANDS on mods and you can buy a brand new crate motor from GM for around $7500-and get a 50K mile warranty. If you can't afford to play-don't.

Last edited by Arclight; 10-13-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have decided to go ahead and have Chuck CoW install his Tune, CoW Booster, and Stat this weekend at the Corvette Expo in Sevierville, TN. Thanks to all the opinions and experiences.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
I've got a tune & headers and just was denied warranty coverage for a fluid leak on a transmission line. My tune had nothing to do with a bad seal on the line, but denied anyways. He says to me I didn't buy the car here anyways. Well I own 3 vehicles and he has just insured I don't ever buy from them.
What dealer denied you warranty coverage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warranty Voiding Question