C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail order tune -vs- in shop tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Mail order tune -vs- in shop tune

I need some additional help and input, I have been looking for a shop to do a tune on my 2011 GS for some time, and have not gotten much back on it. I've had both a "mail order" and "in shop" style tune done on some of my other LS Vettes over the years, and have contacted most of those vendors but not gotten anything concrete back from them.

I would like to know if anybody had gotten a "mail order" tune from any forum vendor and really documented the gains........drag strip times before and after....gas mileage changes, either plus or minus..etc.??

I don't mind paying a "reasonable price" for work but some of the prices I've been told have been quite excessive, more then double my last full shop tune (at which I faxed copies of the invoices to vendors when asked) and even though it's been 3 years the differences between that 2009 (after it was out of 3/36 warranty) tune and the 2011 (both with exactly the same powertrain and lack of mods) tune should not be that different to warrant the double price.

So again I'm looking for some input from people who have had LS tunes done, with good results, that does not mean having the car down for any time for either the initial tune or adjustments "after the fact" even without additional mods (this is something had to be done to every LS car I've had done, regardless of the shop doing the tune). As I have EFI Live V2, a vendor who has to change something can do it thru an email, and I'd prefer a tune to be administered that way also, that way the distance from me is not a concern.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:27 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello. I am surprised after hearing your past vehicles and experiences with them that you have not concluded that most tuners can and will do what you are asking so long as you have external mods less cams, FI, etc.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 PM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of curiosity, why would you even consider mail in tunes over actual on dyno tune? I'm not a big fan of mail in tune since they will not be perfect each time since they almost always run rich and "safe".
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Post number 3 in the below thread you already started will answer all your questions. If you don't like the prices, that can't be helped.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...recommend.html

He can tune your car remotely using your EFI software. (via the internet)

Last edited by jim2092; 10-20-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I'll take a mail order tune over a crappy dyno tune every day. Without specific tuners it is hard to say. Plus most mail order tuners that are worth a damn will have you log, email them over, and make adjustments, so they are just as good or better than a local tune. It is about the quality of the tuner, not dyno/mail/street/etc.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Give us a call. We can get you taken care of.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The problem with mail in tunes and quickie tunes is they don't take into account the variability is the engine on start up cold and when warm. Your tune shop should give you before and after charts and keep the car over night to check the tune on cold startup the next morning. I have mine done at Livernois Motor sports. Lucky to live in the Detroit area, but I'm sure there are some good tune shops in New Jersey, maybe not close to the shore though.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

As an update to my thread here are some of the things that have happened. I have contacted, or attempted to contact (they have not called back after leaving messages, or emails (per their request)) all of the shops that have been named in this thread and another thread. I will not name the shops because you may have different reasons for recommending or condemning one over the other so I'll just label by letter:

Shop A (used previously on 2009 Vette) doing the same tune as on previous car...$800 (even thought other tune was $350 and receipt copied to him to prove it)

Shop B same tune as Shop A was going to do, $450 only using HP Tuners instead of EFI Live

Shop C no answer to phone calls (as current as yesterday) or emails, so no idea of price, or what how they would do it

Shop D no response to request

Shop E no response to request

Now, Shop C is the closest in case adjustments need to be made (no "email" adjustments and must drive to shop each time). Then both Shop A & Shop B are over two hours away and between tolls and gas, it adds another $100+ to the cost. While Shop A will do adjustments thru email, he is not responding back after he requested a copy of my original tune done before to either say he could not honor that price or just talk (which needed 5 adjustments between trans and engine, but all thru emails). As his adjustments were done thru emails it saved me large amounts of cash and time not having to drive back and forth. Now with Shop B, who is also more then two hours away, he at least responded to calls answering questions and confirming the job to be done, but he only uses HP Tuners and cannot make adjustments, if necessary, without having the car back in the shop.

I keep mentioning about "adjustments" and want all of you to understand one thing. There will be no changes to the car once it is tuned but in the past I've found, on more then one occasion, the tune had to be adjusted after doing Drag Strip logging. Things like hitting the limiter on shifts, shifting to soon (going into higher gears then it shoud) don't show up when doing the initial tune, and all shops are informed that the car goes to the drag strip on occasion. This is why when the shop is far away, I am concerned about making adjustments. I can say that if Shop B used EFI Live, I'd have an appointment already made with them, as they have so far, given me the best feeling of wanting to get it right, but if I have to drive 2 hours each way and pay for gas and tolls on each adjustment, the cost goes way over the top for a "non modified" car (only CAI and drag radials).

Is there anyway to read the HP Tuners tune but make adjustments in EFI Live to avoid the trips back and forth??
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just had an email conversation with Pat G (forum name) and he does remote EFI tuning for $300. He probably has a CAI only tune for your engine in stock. Well respected tuner.

Patrick Guerra

The Guerra Group
114 Spokane Ave.
Victoria, TX 77904
361-576-5917 office
361-576-5928 fax
713-306-9990 cell
www.GuerraGroup.com
Old 11-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim2092
Just had an email conversation with Pat G (forum name) and he does remote EFI tuning for $300. He probably has a CAI only tune for your engine in stock. Well respected tuner.

Patrick Guerra

The Guerra Group
114 Spokane Ave.
Victoria, TX 77904
361-576-5917 office
361-576-5928 fax
713-306-9990 cell
www.GuerraGroup.com
Jim, just emailed him on his site thanks for the information
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
Hello. I am surprised after hearing your past vehicles and experiences with them that you have not concluded that most tuners can and will do what you are asking so long as you have external mods less cams, FI, etc.
PM sent
Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim2092

Patrick Guerra

The Guerra Group
114 Spokane Ave.
Victoria, TX 77904
361-576-5917 office
361-576-5928 fax
713-306-9990 cell
www.GuerraGroup.com
I decided to use Pat G. after emails and phone calls, and have not been disappointed.. He did a "base" tune for me and stopped the car from hitting the rev limiter on shifts (car was shifting below set RPM) and after two data logs, he did an updated tune (same day and got it to me that night) and after two more logged runs he saw something else and sent more updated tunes that I will try this weekend, if the weather holds.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

As I said previously, I went with Pat G. for the tune and he is really at the top of my list..!! I have logged runs and sent them back to him via email and he has made adjustments super quick..!! He even sent me an adjusted tune for the ECM & TCM when it did not look to me like they needed any as the car had run it's best on the previous one. After his adjustments, not only did the car run great, but it posted a new best as well. Today I sent him the logs from this newest tune and he got back to me...on a Sunday...in a couple of hours. I am more use to having the tuner take days or weeks to respond, not the same day and especially on a weekend..!!! I would most certainly recommend him to anybody, and the wide variety of tuning manufacturers he deals with should allow anybody to have him do a mail order tune with the hardware that person already has. If you don't have any tuning hardware, he can supply that to you also, and his prices are "as good or better" then most others. If you are interested in having a tune done to your car, give him a shot....I doubt you'd be disappointed.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
PMBoxcar46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What??? If you even need to ask this question. . You need a Prius with a cam.WTF....
Old 11-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

QUOTE=PMBoxcar46;1588278128]What??? If you even need to ask this question. . You need a Prius with a cam.WTF....[/QUOTE]

What are you referring to..[
Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 AM
g8gt208scvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pat G. is a great tuner...one of the best IMO...he is local too me, he tuned my G8GT when I had it. I am using a different local tuner this time, Billy Whatley.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Just FYI.... I hope i was shop B.... We do not have EFI live but if you ever need anything in the future feel free to give us a call.

Get notified of new replies

To Mail order tune -vs- in shop tune

Quick Reply: Mail order tune -vs- in shop tune