C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Too Rich?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Running Too Rich?

My post cam install (and tuning) is somewhat complete with the exception of WOT tuning. However, the tail pipes are blacking up too much and the gas smell is horrendous. It appears the car is running too rich. Is this customary for a LS3 that is running headers with catless x-pipe?

..............all opinions are welcomed.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cam, headers, and no cats... I said the same thing to my tuner with my 07 Z. I'm getting a 2nd opinion at my current tune, cause I think it's to rich too. my pipes are black and it stinks like gas too. I was 10.8 at WOT on my wideband.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:24 AM
0Shane@CountyCorvette
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever you delete the catalytic converters you're going to see a lot of carbon build up on the exhaust tips with little driving. Even if the engine was running much too lean. If the camshaft is changed to one with plenty of valve overlap 10-20*, you'll certainly smell exhaust gas in the air.

With that being said, you can tone down the exhaust gas smell with proper injector timing. If the injector timing is never changed from factory, then the injectors will open too early during the intake cycle. By spraying the fuel too soon with a larger valve overlap camshaft, the fuel will get sucked through the intake and pushed right out the exhaust before the exhaust valve completely shuts. At that point you're wasting fuel, but could technically not be running rich since this fuel was never even apart of the combustion cycle.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you would like to have your current tune looked at or have your car re-tuned, I'd love to earn your business. Give me a shout via PM or call the number in my signature. I'll make sure you're taken care of!

-Shane

Last edited by Shane@CountyCorvette; 11-07-2014 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bobvette33 (01-26-2021)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Shane;

I'm running +9* of overlap in an otherwise stock LS3 A6 car. It has 1 3/4' headers into a cat-less x and the NPP muffs.

Lance
Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 AM
0Shane@CountyCorvette
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Shane;

I'm running +9* of overlap in an otherwise stock LS3 A6 car. It has 1 3/4' headers into a cat-less x and the NPP muffs.

Lance
Sounds like a stout street friendly camshaft. However, the exhaust smell shouldn't be unbearable. Seems to me the tuner didn't adjust the injector timing.

I received your PM and sent you an email

-Shane
Old 11-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Idle sound bite:

http://vid1097.photobucket.com/album...pst0zkjxfg.mp4

.............I can't complain about it!

Last edited by Speedforhire; 11-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:04 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The issues you are having are NOT camshaft related but long Tube related
LT's place the front 02 bung up to 3 ft further back-- The stock narrowband 02's are programmed to be accurate only at their stock position--Moving them further aft will make the engine RICH at WOT---- This can be fixed with proper tuning
Also--Many people will install the REAR 02's onto the front locations as a somewhat fix--
The stock rear 02's are more sensitive and heat up better and really help a car with LT's
Old 12-09-2014, 01:05 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is the same way....i think we came to the conclusion we have very similar mods and the exhaust smell is bad but i just use the recirculating inside the cab and get no smell.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The only true way to check your WOT fuel accurately is with a "wideband 02"
This eliminates all the guessing and takes the final result ( thru your exhaust ) your engines ACTUAL AFR ratio
YES typically LT headers will make your car run richer at WOT--But it's more complicated than that---A rich WOT is caused by a LEAN P/T AFR--From the added airflow via your cam and hdrs---- At P/T the 02's are correcting for the added aiflow (leaness) via your fuel trims by adding fuel-----
HOWEVER--- whatever your fuel trims are (if positive) "Just before going to WOT" will also be added to your WOT fueling as well--simply as a built in safety by GM----
The ECM will never subtract fuel if you have a negative fuel trim --it will lock on "0" again as a safety at WOT-----
So you must dial in all your P/T fuel before ever attempting to get the WOT fuel near correct----by getting all your fuel trims at P/T at "0" or slightly negative
This is the simple answer however it gets even more complicated --LOL
Whenever you change your engine's Volumetric Efficiency via cams --hds or hrds--it becomes complicated---and only a wideband tells the truth--
Old 12-25-2014, 08:10 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What is your cruising AFR?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Here's a noob question... The lean part throttle condition gets resolved by retuning the maf and VE tables, right? Meaning it shows up as error between commanded Afr and actual part throttle Afr.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's something else to check, and it is an easy fix with high temp rtv. Make sure all of your exhaust clamps are sealing the pipes properly, especially the ones near the cats and x-pipe, because if your vette is not in recirc mode on the hvac, you WILL get strong odors inside the car.

Been there and done that immediately after my LT headr install.

Not saying the tune isn't rich too, but this will make it seem a lot worse inside the cabin area.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Here's something else to check, and it is an easy fix with high temp rtv. Make sure all of your exhaust clamps are sealing the pipes properly, especially the ones near the cats and x-pipe, because if your vette is not in recirc mode on the hvac, you WILL get strong odors inside the car.

Been there and done that immediately after my LT headr install.

Not saying the tune isn't rich too, but this will make it seem a lot worse inside the cabin area.
Smell inside the car? Yes, it's horrendous also. The LG headers and off-road X fit so poorly, sealing with RTV won't help. I will try it though.

My plan, at this point in the junction, is to return the car back to stock and add a TT kit after winter is over.

More power + less headaches = BLISS!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:47 AM
Modern Musclecar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have tuned big cam cars to burn really clean with no rich exhaust smell in the past however a tuner will typically intentionally leave the tune a little on the rich side when cammed as it reduces cam surge and greatly improves drivability
Old 01-15-2015, 12:47 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

Smell inside the car? Yes, it's horrendous also. The LG headers and off-road X fit so poorly, sealing with RTV won't help. I will try it though.

My plan, at this point in the junction, is to return the car back to stock and add a TT kit after winter is over.

More power + less headaches = BLISS!
You should take Tblu's advice, what he says makes complete sense.
Add TT and you will be up to your elbows in tuning and plumbing.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c6z06man
what is your cruising afr?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:41 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That could be a bit lean with a 10% ethical blend.

Get notified of new replies

To Running Too Rich?

Quick Reply: Running Too Rich?