C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys might want to check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 PM
gmtech16450yz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You guys might want to check this out...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...nt-to-see-this
Old 12-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

interesting. I know the combo of a max effort ported throttle body plus where ECS moves the MAF to on the blower kit makes for a weird MAF signal at idle on my car as well. Once you crack the throttle though it works as it should.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
interesting. I know the combo of a max effort ported throttle body plus where ECS moves the MAF to on the blower kit makes for a weird MAF signal at idle on my car as well. Once you crack the throttle though it works as it should.
...........idle characteristics are finicky.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:36 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

This is nothing new to the tuning community----Any time "you change the original location or inlet pipe diameter" of your MAF---The MAF table needs to be re-scaled-- C5--C6 or C7----
In extreme cases at idle it can never be corrected perfectly back to stock--But there are other ways via tuning other than the MAF table to correct Idle Airflow or low RPM Airflow------This is nothing an experienced tuner worries about-- Idle-- hunting--- surging--- dying are some of the easiest things a tuner does----
Old 12-26-2014, 02:38 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

3 years ago when I replaced the stock Donaldson with K&N filter, I very quickly noticed the surging, the change in the performance (detrimentally) changed it back and forth few times, even left it in for a week to see if the new PCM would adapt to the new values, nothing had worked. I hated it and subsquently sold it for half the price. When I reported this here on the CF, I was ridiculed, by many. This makes lot of sense and explains why.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:09 PM
gmtech16450yz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
3 years ago when I replaced the stock Donaldson with K&N filter, I very quickly noticed the surging, the change in the performance (detrimentally) changed it back and forth few times, even left it in for a week to see if the new PCM would adapt to the new values, nothing had worked. I hated it and subsquently sold it for half the price. When I reported this here on the CF, I was ridiculed, by many. This makes lot of sense and explains why.
Right on! Your assessment back then was dead on, it's too bad you were ridiculed for trying to educate your fellow forum members. I've had my share of naysayers too, believe me. I hate to say but you would have had WAAAAYYYY better luck and less chance of being ridiculed on another forum.

tblu92, speedforhire and grocerygetter,

Obviously none of you guys are tuners, or grasp what I'm trying to show you. That doesn't mean it's not true or valid. This isn't about MAF scaling, idle or any of the things you guys have said "are not new to the tuning community". What I'm saying obviously IS new to you because you don't understand it.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I cut a hole in my radiator shroud and dropped in my LS7 intake. Many said it cannot be done and there would be surging and I would need a Tune to get rids of the surging. I stayed with the stock LS9 Donaldson Air Filter and have never had any surging, just lots of cold air.

interesting read though.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I experienced surging with the Vararam. Eventually got rid of it for this and other issues.

The slight surge at a consistent rpm would not tune out either.

It was a slight surge not easily felt by the passenger nevertheless it was annoying for me.

Interesting link, thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 PM
gmtech16450yz
Intermediate

Hi guys, haven't been on here in a looooong time.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I just happened to run across this problem again. "Somebody" I know just bought a C6 ZR1. It has an Attack Blue filter in the stock housing. This new owner immediately noticed the surging. I went for a ride and drive and I could also totally feel the surge caused by the aftermarket filter. I did a few logs and sure enough, you can see the MAF turbulence. It also didn't help that whoever tuned it had the MAF transfer set to 0 rpm. Yikes. A stock Donaldson filter is going back into that ZR1 ASAP. (As are the stock exhaust manifolds so that LS9 can get it's lost low and midrange power back that the giant long tubes killed. lol.)

So again, don't waste your money on anything but the stock Donaldson air filter in these cars. GM did it right on that particular item. Keep it that way and your engine will run smoother.
The following users liked this post:
wjnjr (02-20-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To You guys might want to check this out...

Quick Reply: You guys might want to check this out...