C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a Stock 2013 GS Need a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does a Stock 2013 GS Need a Tune?

Would a tune alone give the engine more life? Make it run more optimally? Is it choked from the factory?
Opinions please, thx!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

does it need one...probably not. would it benefit from a tune...more than likely. it is an auto or manual?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:33 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
does it need one...probably not. would it benefit from a tune...more than likely. it is an auto or manual?
Sorry. Auto, totally stock.
Thx for the reply.
Mech wants $600 for tune at dealership.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

it doesn't *need* one, but sure, there's some power left on the table, and there is some shifting configuration that will probably startle you when you feel the before/after.

i would think long and hard first, are you going to do any modifications that need a tune down the road? may as well install those first and tune after, instead of paying for a retune.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

For $600 Id get one of our Trinity tuners, load the 93 tune, run good gas, enjoy the other benefits of the Trinity's logging/scanning/monitoring functions, and be able to go back anytime you want for dealer visits, etc.

Hers an example of how well a good running GS can perform with our out of the box 93 octane tune:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...une-today.html

Thanks
Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM
chaos07
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can either buy a programmer like the trinity and I believe the other is called the intune or something like that from diablosport. Or you could find a speed shop with a dyno and have it dyno tuned. I don't believe the dealership does that kind of "tuneing". The mech probably meant like a spark plug change or something to that nature.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:57 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chaos07
You can either buy a programmer like the trinity and I believe the other is called the intune or something like that from diablosport. Or you could find a speed shop with a dyno and have it dyno tuned. I don't believe the dealership does that kind of "tuneing". The mech probably meant like a spark plug change or something to that nature.
Thx. This place does it all, super charger to just tuning computer. A little more than plugs.
I really don't want to go crazy, but changing factory settings to the 93 may be what he is doing. And if a Diablo is the same thing with no damage to the engine, that would be good. Then if I add CAI or something later looks like I could go further with it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
For $600 Id get one of our Trinity tuners, load the 93 tune, run good gas, enjoy the other benefits of the Trinity's logging/scanning/monitoring functions, and be able to go back anytime you want for dealer visits, etc.

Hers an example of how well a good running GS can perform with our out of the box 93 octane tune:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...une-today.html

Thanks
11's with just a tune, not bad.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Just be aware that installing a "tune" may void your warranty.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:01 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KENS80V
Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It definitely needs a tune! Having a stock car isn't an option, I'd do a custom tune but if you just wanna load a tune in via a programmer and enjoy their decent too, I used the Diablo on my Pervious car and performed great
Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KENS80V
We wouldn't want that now would we
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Only you can answer this question... If you feel like you want / need more power then mod away... If your happy w, 436 hp to the crank than don't... I Wouldn't look around on the Internet for opinions, no one can answer this question but yourself, up to you if you need more mods or not - Eric
Old 02-22-2015, 10:05 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
It definitely needs a tune! Having a stock car isn't an option, I'd do a custom tune but if you just wanna load a tune in via a programmer and enjoy their decent too, I used the Diablo on my Pervious car and performed great
Thx. I was good with carburators but not so good with current mech computers. I guess Diablo can hurt the car. The guy offering me the tune is at a dealer. Said I would get more MPH and some increase in HP.

Only you can answer this question... If you feel like you want / need more power then mod away... If your happy w, 436 hp to the crank than don't... I Wouldn't look around on the Internet for opinions, no one can answer this question but yourself, up to you if you need more mods or not - Eric

I want it for sure, just don't want to end up with any accelerator delay by accident. Just doing the research. Thx.

Last edited by vet55; 02-22-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:04 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vet55
Thx. I was good with carburators but not so good with current mech computers. I guess Diablo can hurt the car. The guy offering me the tune is at a dealer. Said I would get more MPH and some increase in HP.

I want it for sure, just don't want to end up with any accelerator delay by accident. Just doing the research. Thx.
here is food for thought... stock on East Coast Superchargings dyno i believe a GS makes right around 375 rwhp.. i added an SLP intake, magnaflow catless mid section, b&b exhaust and they tuned it with a final # of 412 rwhp 410 rwtq so i picked up 37 rwhp with a couple bolt ons... it wasnt too much about the gains but the car pulled alot stronger and throttle response was greatly improved over stock i did the bolt ons even with the intention that i was gonna add a supercharger just wanted a little extra power in the mean time... im now @ 700 RWHP 675 RWTQ
Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

here is food for thought... stock on East Coast Superchargings dyno i believe a GS makes right around 375 rwhp.. i added an SLP intake, magnaflow catless mid section, b&b exhaust and they tuned it with a final # of 412 rwhp 410 rwtq so i picked up 37 rwhp with a couple bolt ons... it wasnt too much about the gains but the car pulled alot stronger and throttle response was greatly improved over stock i did the bolt ons even with the intention that i was gonna add a supercharger just wanted a little extra power in the mean time... im now @ 700 RWHP 675 RWTQ
That sounds great. Good teaching, learning a lot here. If hesiitation is not a danger I am in. Hesitation will make me dump a car.

Last edited by vet55; 02-22-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

That sounds great. Good teaching, learning a lot here. If hesiitation is not a danger I am in. Hesitation will make me dump a car.
Absolutely not... my buddy on his GS just added a Vararam intake, ARH headers and B&B bullets also got it retuned and the car is night and day over stock! has a rele strong pull now and makes for a fun car, you would be happy w/ a set up like that... alot has to do with getting a tune done by good shop

Get notified of new replies

To Does a Stock 2013 GS Need a Tune?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Absolutely not... my buddy on his GS just added a Vararam intake, ARH headers and B&B bullets also got it retuned and the car is night and day over stock! has a rele strong pull now and makes for a fun car, you would be happy w/ a set up like that... alot has to do with getting a tune done by good shop
Ok, Thanks. Now I can reasearch equipment and make some decisions.
I know there is no such thing as instant acceleration. Vets have always had great outta' the hole acceleration, can't think of too many that beat that. So improving pull is a great target for me to start with.
Thanks to all!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Another dumb question. The ECU does Not need to be unlocked before the Diablo Tune, yes?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Another dumb question. The ECU does Not need to be unlocked before the Diablo Tune, yes?
Nope! Just connect and install 93 octane tune & enjoy!

Quick Reply: Does a Stock 2013 GS Need a Tune?