C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obd2 elm327

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:57 PM
cormudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd2 elm327

What is the best ELM327 brand to get and what software is best. I just want to read codes and be able to clear some codes and of course what ever else is best for home mechanic. Do these work with a 2008 Corvette C-6 6.2 436 HP. OBD2 GM connector. Dont need to spend a lot, just want to make sure it is compatable and if anyone has any input as to what works and what does not work... I want to go with USB but I guess I could go wireles or bluetooth.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I use the free torque app that can be used with apple or android phones. Just go to the app store on your phone and download it. It works fine for what you are wanting to do. It can read multiple parameters and clear codes if you need to. Any of the elm27 obd2 bluetooth adapters will work. I have not found a good reason to buy one of the more expensive adapters in my experience. The $15 ones have worked fine for me.

Originally Posted by cormudd
What is the best ELM327 brand to get and what software is best. I just want to read codes and be able to clear some codes and of course what ever else is best for home mechanic. Do these work with a 2008 Corvette C-6 6.2 436 HP. OBD2 GM connector. Dont need to spend a lot, just want to make sure it is compatable and if anyone has any input as to what works and what does not work... I want to go with USB but I guess I could go wireles or bluetooth.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

For level 2 to see everything (more than than just the motor), then the something like ScanXL GM Enhanced Diagnostics Add-on or EASE Diagnostics.

As for level 3 to program/flash, then that will take a Tech II tool.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

When using an bluetooth OBD2 reader, in combination with the torque app, is there a way that you can also datalog a wideband o2 for the AFR.

Maybe a better to ask this is their common 0-5 volt sensor that is commonly used to capture the output of the wideband 02. In Addition, if the previous is possible, are you also able to use the torque app can to then log the values of the wideband with the other parameters shown in the torque app, in relation to rpm and throttle position.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by ZishanM
When using an bluetooth OBD2 reader, in combination with the torque app, is there a way that you can also datalog a wideband o2 for the AFR.

Maybe a better to ask this is their common 0-5 volt sensor that is commonly used to capture the output of the wideband 02. In Addition, if the previous is possible, are you also able to use the torque app can to then log the values of the wideband with the other parameters shown in the torque app, in relation to rpm and throttle position.
Torque pro has a wind band AFR graph, and it can be logged.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:42 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Torque pro has a wind band AFR graph, and it can be logged.
Thank you. Do you know where you hook up the wideband?
Old 04-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Slammin07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you intend to use an iPhone with your obd device, ensure you get the wifi version. Apparently they don't work with the Bluetooth versions.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I deal with these a lot, and have 7 of them in my collection of test equipment. In my experience, the cheaper "ELM327" devices are hit or miss... Some seem to work ok, and some have issues or don't work at all. They are knockoffs and not the real ELM chip, just an often incomplete copy of it, and the quality control is also apparently very lacking. They may run a bit slower as well, from what I've seen.

So, it will usually work, but it's nothing that I would "officially support" as an OBD app developer... Most of the better apps should have some error mitigation logic behind the scenes to help these, but if it still doesn't work for your combination of OBD clone device + car + app, then you're probably on your own. Different apps may try to use it in different ways, so that could yield different results as well.

For those reasons, I only recommend the respected brand name stuff. In particular, I've had good results with OBDLink products.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

See my recent thread in C6 Tech forum. I just got one of the $6 ones from ebay and it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Obd2 elm327

Quick Reply: Obd2 elm327