C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Don't Understand Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:34 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
Default I Don't Understand Tuning

I'm hoping someone can point me to an article explaining this tuning business to me. Based on the promotions I see, it makes no sense. Time and time again I see something like more power and better mpg. That implies that the engineers at GM are utter bozos for putting out a car which is majorly less efficient than some third party tuners can achieve. Hard for me to believe, frankly. I can see the more power part but not the more mpg and the more of both just boggles my mind into incredulity.

Now I can see re-programming the TPS to being linear. My guess is my bone stock C6 LS3 is about 1/5 throttle at the 1/2 way point. Making the throttle linear would make the car darned lively and give a sense of more power (but not mpg) and it'd also be a fraud to say that doing this result in 'more power'. So I'm assuming tuning isn't reprogramming the TPS or that's only part of it.

So exactly what does this consist of? If I threw a few hundred at a tune, what should I realistically expect? Do I need take the car to a place or can the tune be mailed (emailed?) to me and I somehow install it?

I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere for the C6. I'd greatly appreciate a link. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Optimizing things like timing and fueling, throttle control, and especially torque management all aide in making the car more powerful and more fun to drive. Finding a big improvement in mileage on a C6 through tuning is not something I would expect, although tuning should not negatively affect mileage as long as it's driven in a similar fashion.

We see average gains of about 20 rwhp over stock on the LS3 Vettes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Steve98TransAm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OEM's stock tune is a balanced combination of power, efficiency, drivability, reliability, emissions and safety.

The customer can decide to marginalize some of these areas in a quest for optimization/improvement in others thru aftermarket tuning. Simple as that.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Simple answer is emissions and warranty! There are parameters set in a tune to protect the powertrain and emissions. For example, torque management, IAT tables, COT's enrichment, etc. Too much to list and a lot of information to learn. If you want to learn, Greg Banish has several books about tuning. They will give you a very good perspective what is involved with engine management and tuning.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 04-04-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:15 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Optimizing things like timing and fueling, throttle control, and especially torque management all aide in making the car more powerful and more fun to drive. Finding a big improvement in mileage on a C6 through tuning is not something I would expect, although tuning should not negatively affect mileage as long as it's driven in a similar fashion.

We see average gains of about 20 rwhp over stock on the LS3 Vettes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Just a guess, Mike: '13 LS3, Bullets, Halltech 105S with shroud opened slightly to get outside air at the two corners. What would you guess gain would be from the 91 octane? Also have firm on TCM and TM turned off. I had thought 10rwhp. The Halltech leans the AFM, as you know.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:43 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Ah, well, it does make sense now. Thanks to all who've answered.

I still have a warranty on my power train. Based on a few of the posts above, I'm concerned that a tune void that warranty. Will it?
Old 04-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes; a tune will void the engine/powertrain warranty.

However, a dealer would be hard pressed to void the warranty on the NAV unit based on an engine tune.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Thx. I will get a tune then, but only after the warrany expires.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Yes; a tune will void the engine/powertrain warranty.

However, a dealer would be hard pressed to void the warranty on the NAV unit based on an engine tune.
Thats a very broad statement.

This does not apply to our tuning devices.

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Thx. I will get a tune then, but only after the warrany expires.
Using one of our devices to flash the pcm leaves no traces that GM can see to determine the pcm has or has not been tuned, this can not be said for all tuning options, but can indeed be said for ours.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Sounds good Mike. If I decide to go ahead and do this I'll get a hold of you. My concern now, is I have found that once I start modding I never stop. So I'm concerned if I want to go ahead with starting to mod.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Sounds good Mike. If I decide to go ahead and do this I'll get a hold of you. My concern now, is I have found that once I start modding I never stop. So I'm concerned if I want to go ahead with starting to mod.
Its a healthy addiction

Get notified of new replies

To I Don't Understand Tuning

Quick Reply: I Don't Understand Tuning