C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Tire Monitor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:55 PM
rastolpho
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Tire Monitor Issue

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and just recently got a 2008 Vette and I'm loving it.

I had an issue with the TPMS system and I've been reading here in forum about it, trying to narrow down to my specific issue but couldn't find it so I wanted to ask you guys for your opinion.

The other day the DIC gave me a high pressure warning of 50 PSI on my FR tire. I obviously didn't put that much air so when I drove around a bit it went down to the regular PSI.

A few days later when I was driving for about an hour, about half an hour or so I got the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message on that same tire. I drove to the destination and the warning was still there. Later in the day the warning disappeared and I thought it was just an issue with the sensor on the tire but it was back working for now so I let it be.

A week or so later, I did the same drive and got the same SERVICE TIRE MONITOR error. Except that this time it did not go away so I decided to take it to America's Tire for them to check the sensors with the tool since I don't have it.

He checked and the FR tire did not get a signal. I could see that he was trying to upsell me another sensor for the FL, he said it took a bit longer than usual to beep but I didn't want to change it.

As he was changing he "accidentally" switched the sensor on the FL tire he said he got confused. He left that sensor on the FL and went to find the working sensor it had and moved it to my FR. He used the tool to sync the sensors and I heard the horn on all four tires so I drove away with no issues.

I've been keeping an eye on the tire pressures and I noticed that the FR psi was not changing from 30 PSI so I decided to stop to put some air on it to see if I'd see any changes on the DIC. And when the car was stopped I did see it change to 32 and up and down so I ended up leaving at 32.

Today, driving around again just on a quick drive, I noticed all tires changing PSI while driving BUT the FR tire.

It seems that the sensor is working since it did change when I stopped the car to change the air but when driving it doesn't seem to pick up?

One thing I did read also was that the TPMS system is related to the keyless system in the car?

One "issue" I have is that the keyless system in the car acts "weird" as in I have to sometimes push the lock unlock or trunk button a few times before it works, or hold it down to make sure it unlocks and it doesn't work from a long distance. Other cars I've had it does work from far away and without an issue, but I'm not sure if that's normal on the Vette.

Just asking for some opinions, I haven't done the long drive after the change but I find odd the psi not changing while driving but changed just fine when I put or took air out.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd change all the TPMS sensors and the battery in your key fob. The TPMS sensors are supposed to last 5-7 years, so you are due. If you shop around you can find them for a lot less.

Quick Reply: Service Tire Monitor Issue