C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default C6 Scan Tool

I apologize in advance for asking a question that I am sure has been addressed numerous times on this Forum Community. I was not able to find the answer using "Search" so I beg the indulgence of the members to provide the information again.

I am finally getting close to taking delivery on my 2012 GS that has been under construction for many months. The car has been heavily modified with an ECS blower setup on a forged 416 stroker motor along with numerous mods and designed primarily for the strip.

Despite the assurances from my builder that he will have either tuned out or taken care of all DTC codes before I take delivery I suspect I will have to deal with some in the future given the extent of the mods to the car. The builder is almost three hours away and I don't want to have to take the car back for something I can take care of myself.

The question is...what is a good, reasonably priced, effective scan tool to read and clear DTC codes for the C6? I see there is a wide variety from cheap tools sold by Harbor Freight to professional versions costing into the thousands. I don't need the high end stuff but don't want the cheap stuff that will not get the job done.

I am spoiled by my C5's on board capabilities to handle DTC codes. Too bad GM saw fit to eliminate this feature with the C6.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I just ordered this (
Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS310 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS310 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive
) for the exact reasons you stated.

This one has fairly high ratings, and can reset codes, and was reasonably priced too, for when I loan it out and it does not find it's way home....

I also use a DashLogic device (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dashlogic.html ) to monitor sensors while I drive
Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I just ordered this ( Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS310 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive ) for the exact reasons you stated.

This one has fairly high ratings, and can reset codes, and was reasonably priced too, for when I loan it out and it does not find it's way home....

I also use a DashLogic device (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dashlogic.html ) to monitor sensors while I drive
Thanks. Let me know how it works out. I question how such a cheapo model can get the job done right.

BIGMAC
Old 06-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Will do. I get it later this week, I'll also be getting two front (upstream) O2 sensors (one is bad, will replace both and keep one for a spare), so I'll use it for a "before and after" scan and code reset.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:20 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you have a smart phone, an ELM327 interface is super cheap and works great. You can do some basic logging with it as well

I use that + dash command from my iPhone. Wifi version = iPhone. Bluetooth version = android.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schpenxel
If you have a smart phone, an ELM327 interface is super cheap and works great. You can do some basic logging with it as well

I use that + dash command from my iPhone. Wifi version = iPhone. Bluetooth version = android.
Thanks. I have a Windows 8 phone, I can't find anything that works for it though.

I know you are also a fan for the Dashlogic unit ( https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html ) so I'm gonna PM you about it, so as not to clutter up this thread.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Thanks. Let me know how it works out. I question how such a cheapo model can get the job done right.

BIGMAC
I forgot to come back out here and update, but I was really surprised at how well the scanner worked. It resets all "check engine" codes, and it will also "live scan" a LOT of data, even some parameters that the Dashlogic doesn't. I even used it to monitor things (out of curiosity) this morning on the way to work. For instance, it scans and displays left and right cat temps, I have no clue how it calculates them, but it was interesting to observe

Sooooo, for a cheapo code reader, it certainly passed the test
Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Default C6 Scan Tool

Good deal! Dash logic is weird.. Their other product, dash command, supports pid's that dash logic doesn't for whatever reason. I'm still a fan of both though.

On the cats.. The ecm estimates cat temperature and the scan tool is just reporting what the ecm has came up with
Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I apologize in advance for asking a question that I am sure has been addressed numerous times on this Forum Community. I was not able to find the answer using "Search" so I beg the indulgence of the members to provide the information again.

I am finally getting close to taking delivery on my 2012 GS that has been under construction for many months. The car has been heavily modified with an ECS blower setup on a forged 416 stroker motor along with numerous mods and designed primarily for the strip.

Despite the assurances from my builder that he will have either tuned out or taken care of all DTC codes before I take delivery I suspect I will have to deal with some in the future given the extent of the mods to the car. The builder is almost three hours away and I don't want to have to take the car back for something I can take care of myself.

The question is...what is a good, reasonably priced, effective scan tool to read and clear DTC codes for the C6? I see there is a wide variety from cheap tools sold by Harbor Freight to professional versions costing into the thousands. I don't need the high end stuff but don't want the cheap stuff that will not get the job done.

I am spoiled by my C5's on board capabilities to handle DTC codes. Too bad GM saw fit to eliminate this feature with the C6.

Thanks in advance for the information.
I have had this tool for the past 3 years. My car is a 2010 GS Vert.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

I have compared the sensor's support vs the GM Shop Manual, it is about 98% correct. Those sensors missing I never cared for.

This unit also support bi-directional controls eg. You can set the engine to run at a given RPM , activate the ABS pump....

I have been very happy with this unit.

Down side is you need a PC and the cost. Base unit $249 then additional cost for the modules to support your selected cars.

so about $500+ just to use for your corvette.

The plus side this unit has data loging of the sensors in real time. Or you can just load up which sensors to read. Their are hundread of sensors to read. Covers all the modules in the car etc.

engine , Brake control module, heating , instrument cluster , transmission etc.....

Last edited by cagotzmann; 07-02-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

You can buy HPTuners for $500. Although it can only read/write/log engine and transmission computers, though.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Scan Tool

Quick Reply: C6 Scan Tool