C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:04 PM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White smoke from exhaust

Hey guys, I just took my C6 Grand Sport out for a Monday morning mountain run with my colleagues. After 40 minutes into the run my friend tells me that I'm smoking out of my rear exhaust, so Idk what it could be. It's not smoking when I'm cruising but rather very minimal when I'm stepping on the gas

I checked the levels of oil and they seem to be good and not milky, no knocking noises, no rough idle, coolant on level. I did remember that I might have pumped 87 this morning (chatting with them, thinking I was driving my geo metro) We did fill up at Chevron, however. I know from reading previous threads that 87 won't hurt the engine, but I ran the car pretty hard today.

I also inspected the oil pan a month ago and there is a small oil leak, but the car only has 29k miles so I doubt my gasket is bad (I also did research on this portion). Was going to retorque oil pan bolts next change as well

Could it be burning from the small oil leak under the oil pan?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Oh and here's a photo of the gang, Shaver Lake, CA

Last edited by darkstarz; 06-20-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 AM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

The rule of thumb used to be oil= blue/black smoke, white smoke = water. But with the catalytic converters and all the new stuff, I would be more inclined to think it was merely water vapor burning out of the exhaust system. That is if the coolant reservoir is staying full. My Harley will blow white smoke/vapor at start up and I am certain there is no
coolant present ;-)

Mark
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM
darkstarz
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN
The rule of thumb used to be oil= blue/black smoke, white smoke = water. But with the catalytic converters and all the new stuff, I would be more inclined to think it was merely water vapor burning out of the exhaust system. That is if the coolant reservoir is staying full. My Harley will blow white smoke/vapor at start up and I am certain there is no
coolant present ;-)

Mark
The kinda news I wanna hear, glad it's nothing major. Thanks
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by darkstarz
The kinda news I wanna hear, glad it's nothing major. Thanks
I don't know about being anything major, but if it's not using any fluids, it can't be much if anything?

Mark
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ust-moved.html

Get notified of new replies

To White smoke from exhaust

Quick Reply: White smoke from exhaust