C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset check engine or buy OBD2 reader

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reset check engine or buy OBD2 reader

I recently had a check engine come on that I believe was related to the gas cap not being on tight enough. It was P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

I tightened the gas cap a lot better and started it a few times but it's still there. Do I need to buy a scan tool and if so what's the best one to clear codes moderately priced? If there's a free way that would be great too. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Most brand name parts stores can read and clear codes for free or loan reader. (which can also clear)
Old 07-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by usdmpwr07
I recently had a check engine come on that I believe was related to the gas cap not being on tight enough. It was P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

I tightened the gas cap a lot better and started it a few times but it's still there. Do I need to buy a scan tool and if so what's the best one to clear codes moderately priced? If there's a free way that would be great too. Any help is appreciated.
You need to drive it a while before the light will go out. If that was the problem. I think it takes about 50 miles or so. Also Autozone can red/reset the code for free.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a co worker with an OBD2 reader get the code and clear. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yes takes 50 or so miles of normal driving for a code to go away after a fix---Also in order to have the "readiness monitors " to be set to ready---
A code reader only temporarily deletes a code unless the issue is repaired--However a TUNER can delete the code permanently whether the issue is repaired or not--
A mail order tune costs usually like $150 cheaper than a scanner and you'll never get that code ever again--
Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tblu92
Yes takes 50 or so miles of normal driving for a code to go away after a fix---Also in order to have the "readiness monitors " to be set to ready---
A code reader only temporarily deletes a code unless the issue is repaired--However a TUNER can delete the code permanently whether the issue is repaired or not--
A mail order tune costs usually like $150 cheaper than a scanner and you'll never get that code ever again--
Some confusing, some incorrect and some overkill.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

You may be able to clear the code, but it will return if not fixed. Yes you can also turn it off in the computer
Old 07-16-2015, 01:36 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have an Android based smartphone (and, yes, I believe there is a similar setup for iPhones, but I've never used one.):

Get this:
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

And this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

I've been using that combo for years now on all of our cars. Always works. Always easy. Reads and clears codes, reads readiness monitors for inspection, you can build custom dashboards, and so on.

You can prevent some codes from being tripped by suppressing them in the tune. When you clear it with a reader, you also reset the readiness monitors. Unless you have fixed the code, it might very well come back once the monitor responsible for it turns ready again, which happens after a certain number of conditions have been met (these conditions vary, but you can find more by googling 'OBD2 drive cycle' for your car). Also, it may not come on as soon as the appropriate monitor sets ready, but instead after X number of faulty situations have been encountered. Alternatively, depending on the code, it might turn off by itself if X number of correct situations have been encountered.

Long story short: fixing the code instead of continuously resetting it usually provides better results. Your results may vary.

Last edited by DinkyDonut; 07-16-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Reset check engine or buy OBD2 reader

iPhone? Wifi elm327 + dash command. Great setup for under $50 total.

Get notified of new replies

To Reset check engine or buy OBD2 reader

Quick Reply: Reset check engine or buy OBD2 reader