C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD 2 code reader research

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Default OBD 2 code reader research

I'm trying to decide on a code reader for all my Chevy rides.
I've come across this one (see link below) while searching and wondered if anyone has this one or used it before. If so, what did you think of it.
what are you guys using? This one should work on my C5, C6Z and 99 Tahoe. Also for my 56 truck, if/when I put an LS in it later on.

Anyway, any thoughts on this one or another that works better?
I know it's a bit pricey, but it does ABS and will work on all my rides and offers up suggestions to repair.
This will be my first code reader experience, so I'm open to suggestions guys. Constructive of course.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anm-cp9580a
Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I think only the really expensive ones can get all of the abs codes. If you have a smartphone I'm going to recommend an obd adapter that will work with some software for it. On Android you should get either torque or dashcommand, but I'm not sure what to get for Android. The nice thing about the smartphone apps is that your can use them as a data logger as well.

Good luck
Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Hi Sevinn. Thanks for the reply.
As I mentioned this will be my first code reader, so I'm not up on this stuff at all.
My wife has an IPhone, is there anything out there that will work with it? If so, how would it hook up to the cars? Thanks for any info you have or links you can provide.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

It actually looks like Dashcommand is the way to go for iPhones as well http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...one/index.php/

Check out the hardware tab on that site for supported devices and it should tell you everything there is to know. It appears that the hardware that iphones require costs a little more than ones that work for Android devices unfortunately, but you'd still get more bang for your buck this way if you would actually use the logging features.

If you won't be doing any logging a reader like the one you linked may be the way to go for ease of use.

Sorry if I just added confusion to your search
Old 08-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

No, you've been very helpful.
I'll check out the link and do some homework on this. It's my wifes Iphone, so it wouldn't be available to me at all times either.

After looking them over, I think you're correct. For my use, the cp9580 will be easier for me and my current needs.
I won't have to rely on a phone being available to me.
Thanks again for the assist, you've been very helpful to this old guy, that's trying to get into the 21 century.

Last edited by Mr. Jean; 08-10-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:08 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
I'm trying to decide on a code reader for all my Chevy rides.
I've come across this one (see link below) while searching and wondered if anyone has this one or used it before. If so, what did you think of it.
what are you guys using? This one should work on my C5, C6Z and 99 Tahoe. Also for my 56 truck, if/when I put an LS in it later on.

Anyway, any thoughts on this one or another that works better?
I know it's a bit pricey, but it does ABS and will work on all my rides and offers up suggestions to repair.
This will be my first code reader experience, so I'm open to suggestions guys. Constructive of course.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anm-cp9580a
This is what I use on my 2010 GS.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

This reads every module in my Car. Now this is more expensive. $500+ with the enhanced GM Module. This will work with all the GM Cars.

I compared this to my 2010 GS GM Service manual on what sensors are available and this unit matches about 99%. This unit also can be used as a data logger for those intermittent problems, it also can activate many functions ( bi-directional controls ) eg set the engine RPM to 2000, activate the ABS pump etc. Force switches on or off.

This does require a laptop to operate.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Thanks for the link. this seems to keep growing in price for me.
In this case I'm on an Apple Imac not a PC, so I'll have to see if that works. Also I have no laptop, so even more $$$$ needed for this setup.

Thanks for the link though, as the more I see/read the better, in deciding what to do.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:54 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
Thanks for the link. this seems to keep growing in price for me.
In this case I'm on an Apple Imac not a PC, so I'll have to see if that works. Also I have no laptop, so even more $$$$ needed for this setup.

Thanks for the link though, as the more I see/read the better, in deciding what to do.
Windows PC only so this is not a good direction for you cost wise. But worth looking at what programs / code readers can do.

If you have access to a GM Service Manual look at all the data / sensors that the car has. This way when you select a unit you will know what the reader is missing.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Windows PC only so this is not a good direction for you cost wise. But worth looking at what programs / code readers can do.

If you have access to a GM Service Manual look at all the data / sensors that the car has. This way when you select a unit you will know what the reader is missing.
Yup, I agree.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth as it allows me to use phone, tablet and PC to analyze my car. They also make an OBDLink MX WiFi for Apple folks. http://www.obdlink.com/

There are a lot of $10 Chinese OBD devices out there but they are all based on the original ELM327 protocol which the author regrettably failed to protect. The Chinese immediately copied the code and have flooded the market with cheapo readers. The problem is that they all adhere to that original ELM327 protocol while things have advanced a lot since then.

The latest OBD devices have to be able to read several different protocols but one in particular is J1850VPW which is an exclusive Chevy protocol that the OBDLink MX can communicate but cheapo units can't.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
primevox
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic Scan reader shows no codes.

Wondering if someone can give me some insight as to why my New Actron CP9580a scan tool shows no codes when I try to do a Diagnostic scan. I have a 09 C6 Z06 that has the Stab/ABS/Brake lights all on and yet no codes come up. I specifically bought this model scan tool as it supposedly reads OBD2/CAN as well as ABS. When plugged in it reads and communicates with the car but says no codes found. Frustrated!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:27 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by primevox
Wondering if someone can give me some insight as to why my New Actron CP9580a scan tool shows no codes when I try to do a Diagnostic scan. I have a 09 C6 Z06 that has the Stab/ABS/Brake lights all on and yet no codes come up. I specifically bought this model scan tool as it supposedly reads OBD2/CAN as well as ABS. When plugged in it reads and communicates with the car but says no codes found. Frustrated!
do any of the

•Custom data list for LIVE data
•Record and playback LIVE engine data, graph LIVE data

work ?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

That's one of the ones I was considering myself. Interested in hearing about this. Hope someone can help you out.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:28 PM
primevox
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
do any of the

•Custom data list for LIVE data
•Record and playback LIVE engine data, graph LIVE data

work ?
Im gonna try live data tonight. First try was with engine off. I assumed it would show the codes but nothing. Maybe live data with engine running will do it.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:49 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Actron tech support : 1-800-228-7667
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
It actually looks like Dashcommand is the way to go for iPhones as well http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...one/index.php/

Check out the hardware tab on that site for supported devices and it should tell you everything there is to know. It appears that the hardware that iphones require costs a little more than ones that work for Android devices unfortunately, but you'd still get more bang for your buck this way if you would actually use the logging features.

If you won't be doing any logging a reader like the one you linked may be the way to go for ease of use.

Sorry if I just added confusion to your search
I bought the PCMScan tool from them a while back and it's read codes from a lot of different cars. With my 4Runner I use it to turn off the check engine lights before going to NJ inspection works every time!

Get notified of new replies

To OBD 2 code reader research

Quick Reply: OBD 2 code reader research