C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune options

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 AM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dyno tune options

Next week I have scheduled to get a full dyno tune from a local shop.

Any suggestions on particular tweaks that I should mention to be performed as well with the tune?

One thing I thought of was to have Drive as "high economy" mode then Sport as "rocket" mode so I'd have the best of both worlds and when I want it.

Thoughts?

KZ
Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I don't think you can isolate tunes within the different settings--such as economy touring
-sport or track/competition---
The tune is the same for all the driving settings----
Is your car an automatic ??
If so I would ask for "street driven tuning" as well This will firm up the shift points and alter the speeds where the trans shifts--Typically they all shift way to early---As well as when the TQ converter locks up again way to early
Old 08-16-2015, 12:15 AM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

It's an automatic that has the Drive and Sport option for the transmission. The place did tell me that that was possible. We'll see...

Very much needing the TQ converter changed. It doesn't lock up the tires like it should right now.

KZ
Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

High economy vs. "rocket" based on sport vs. drive isn't going to happen. I'm sure you can change some transmission parameters based on drive vs. sport, but that's about it. The engine parameters can only be set once.. there is no distinction between sport and drive that I've ever seen.

Further to the economy point. I don't know what's been done to your car, and try not to assume, but you're pretty much going to be running at 14.7:1 AFR at non high load areas and there's not much way to change that without loosing the computers ability to make adjustments on the fly. It's the nature of the beast when using narrowband O2 sensors (which basically all GM vehicles use). Peak efficiency is a little leaner than that, but you risk frying the cats running any leaner (not to mention having no closed loop fueling adjustments if it were any leaner, which is not a good thing)

And, if you have catalytic converters still, you need to be around 14.7:1 and using the O2 sensors in closed loop or you won't have them for long.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:04 PM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

Thanks. So far the only mods are Corsa Sport exhaust. The place will be putting on longtube headers with two highflow cats. The tune will be a the same place right after that.

So, for a true dyno tune I should expect a little bit of economy boost and see better throttle response? My SRT8 Charger I used to have had a Diablo tune and it CAME ALIVE big-time after that Diablo tune. Should I expect the same thing out of GM?

Sure wish there was a way to do those two modes with the D vs S mode. Oh well...

KZ

Originally Posted by schpenxel
High economy vs. "rocket" based on sport vs. drive isn't going to happen. I'm sure you can change some transmission parameters based on drive vs. sport, but that's about it. The engine parameters can only be set once.. there is no distinction between sport and drive that I've ever seen.

Further to the economy point. I don't know what's been done to your car, and try not to assume, but you're pretty much going to be running at 14.7:1 AFR at non high load areas and there's not much way to change that without loosing the computers ability to make adjustments on the fly. It's the nature of the beast when using narrowband O2 sensors (which basically all GM vehicles use). Peak efficiency is a little leaner than that, but you risk frying the cats running any leaner (not to mention having no closed loop fueling adjustments if it were any leaner, which is not a good thing)

And, if you have catalytic converters still, you need to be around 14.7:1 and using the O2 sensors in closed loop or you won't have them for long.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The TQ converter does NOT lock up the tires from side to side---Don't quite know what you mean----
A TQ converter slips by design at lower RPM and at P/T driving --This slippage multiplies the engine TQ and raises the RPM of the engine compared to a car with a manual trans------Then at cruising speeds the converter will "lock up" meaning that there is NO slippage or TQ multiplication-----The Lock Up is strictly for better mileage
GM normally sets the lock up around 38 MPH in 4th gear--That's horrible as the car lugs around town at any speed above 38 MPH----Most all tuners will raise the lock up to about 50 MPH so basically it will lock only when on the freeway---
Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 AM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

Thanks for the explanation. <Learning>

KZ

Originally Posted by tblu92
The TQ converter does NOT lock up the tires from side to side---Don't quite know what you mean----
A TQ converter slips by design at lower RPM and at P/T driving --This slippage multiplies the engine TQ and raises the RPM of the engine compared to a car with a manual trans------Then at cruising speeds the converter will "lock up" meaning that there is NO slippage or TQ multiplication-----The Lock Up is strictly for better mileage
GM normally sets the lock up around 38 MPH in 4th gear--That's horrible as the car lugs around town at any speed above 38 MPH----Most all tuners will raise the lock up to about 50 MPH so basically it will lock only when on the freeway---
Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

I'm actually going to take my car back for a re-tune because in S mode in normal driving conditions the transmission will flow through the gears before it even reaches 10-15 mph, then 4th gear will clunk into gear, probably bec it's not going fast enough for that gear. It's supposed to have the firmer shifts that were applied to just the S mode (apparently that is possible), but it's like each gear shift is a whip-lash. Doesn't bark the tires, just hard shifting. If I jump on it in S, it seems to wind out the gears more and shifting is firm, but I can't always jump on it while normal driving especially in traffic.
I can't believe that that's normal. They said that they would remove that, but is there not other tweaks available?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Which transmission? I may have missed it
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

Automatic.

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Which transmission? I may have missed it
Old 08-28-2015, 02:00 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CrazyKZ-777
Automatic.
I know..

A4 or A6?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 PM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

It's an A6. I got it re-tuned. I think they had some settings backwards. He also throttled back the line pressure kick and made the shift later all in S mode. MUCH better.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno tune options

Quick Reply: Dyno tune options