C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open loop question please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 PM
craig haymaker
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open loop question please

Not a Corvette, but you guys have the knowledge. 2014 Boss Hoss 57 Chevy trike w/ LS3 & GM hot cam. Poor gas mileage and always open loop.! Before I go any further, my knowledge in this area is very basic, lol.
No trouble codes as per two different $200 range handhelds. But today at a speed shop, their HP Tuner showed P0102 ? HOWEVER all operating parameters of the Delphi 15904068 MAF, were functioning properly and well above the minimum code trip point ? We even tried a second MAF, with the same exact results ! When they cleared the trouble code, it re-appears instantly ??
I just replaced this ECM because of open loop, poor mileage & idle surge on my last one. And the BH factory said that this current one, went to closed loop before they shipped this one !
1. - Why does the code show up on the HP Tuner but not the handhelds ?
I need to mention that the company that Boss Hoss has their GM ECM programming done, has them "locked", HP Tuner can't get in with out the code, crap !
2.- Please, what else should I look for that would set this code ?
I truly appreciate any thoughts on this, as my dealer is at loss and sadly the BH factory is too !! Thanks Guys, Craqig H.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

There are several options of tuning that can be used with a stock GM ECM----The STOCK version uses an open loop/closed loop system---
With an LS3 engine and simply the HOT cam you should still be able to use the STOCK system as the drivability and all round performance would be the best
Let me ask you this------I see you have a MAF but do you have front 02 sensors ??
In order to run an OL/CL tune you need them-----Your tuner may have chosen to run what they call an OLSD tune where it stays in OL all the time--recommended mostly for dedicated race cars only or heavily modded engines with boost etc--
Yes P0102 is for the MAF sensor---- It can be caused by several things but mostly because on a retro fit application the air intake system and the MAF location has been altered from the stock locations so much that the MAF reads incorrectly----Fixing this is possible but almost impossible to guess at doing a mail order tune or a pre programmed canned tune---To scale he MAF correctly the tuner needs to drive the car and spend hours data logging the MAF table making corrections until correct
Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 AM
craig haymaker
4th Gear

Thanks tblu92, for taking your time to assist on a non Corvette related issue. Factory is now saying that the MAF code is caused by too tight of parameters in that loop, and that it should not prevent the ECM from going into closed loop ! Yes there O2 sensors in each header.
Factory says most of the time they see these kind of issues, its because the owner has wired incorrectly "somewhere" when adding accessories ! So today I will be rechecking all points where I have tied into existing circuits. The search goes on, Thanks a Million for your input. Craig H.

Originally Posted by tblu92
There are several options of tuning that can be used with a stock GM ECM----The STOCK version uses an open loop/closed loop system---
With an LS3 engine and simply the HOT cam you should still be able to use the STOCK system as the drivability and all round performance would be the best
Let me ask you this------I see you have a MAF but do you have front 02 sensors ??
In order to run an OL/CL tune you need them-----Your tuner may have chosen to run what they call an OLSD tune where it stays in OL all the time--recommended mostly for dedicated race cars only or heavily modded engines with boost etc--
Yes P0102 is for the MAF sensor---- It can be caused by several things but mostly because on a retro fit application the air intake system and the MAF location has been altered from the stock locations so much that the MAF reads incorrectly----Fixing this is possible but almost impossible to guess at doing a mail order tune or a pre programmed canned tune---To scale he MAF correctly the tuner needs to drive the car and spend hours data logging the MAF table making corrections until correct
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Another thought-----When an engine is started COLD the Coolant temp must reach apprx 140* before it stitches from open loop to closed loop
After the engine is warm--the switch is changed to a timer rather that ECT----The timer is normally like 20-40 seconds before it switches to CL--make sure all these switch issues are programmed to stock type parameters-----having front 02' s should mean your tuner is using the stock OL/CL system----
There are a few things that can prevent the ECM from going into CL as well---
With most a data logger or scanner--see if your front 02 voltages are oscillating rapidly
They should bounce around from like .100 millivolts to like .950 millivolts If they are NOT could be an 02 issue like the heaters are not working----some earlier LS engine had a separate fuse for the 02 heaters--Usually if an 02 is dead or the heater is not working --it will flat line at .450 millivolts--- see if this is what's happening to yours--
Old 08-27-2015, 09:19 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by craig haymaker
I need to mention that the company that Boss Hoss has their GM ECM programming done, has them "locked", HP Tuner can't get in with out the code, crap !
I truly appreciate any thoughts on this, as my dealer is at loss and sadly the BH factory is too !! Thanks Guys, Craqig H.
There are plenty of tuners that can help with, based on your profile I don't have suggestion's of someone close to your location.

You asked for thought's, if they won't supply the unlock code there are tuners who can unlock it. It will be faster quicker & simpler to solve your issue without guessing.

You may find more help on the HPT forum & LS1 Tech.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 AM
craig haymaker
4th Gear

Thanks CTD, we're working on it. Craig

Originally Posted by CTD
There are plenty of tuners that can help with, based on your profile I don't have suggestion's of someone close to your location.

You asked for thought's, if they won't supply the unlock code there are tuners who can unlock it. It will be faster quicker & simpler to solve your issue without guessing.

You may find more help on the HPT forum & LS1 Tech.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Why would they set it up for open loop and install O2 sensors? That makes no sense.

Since you can't get to the tune, can you at least post a log?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 AM
craig haymaker
4th Gear

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Why would they set it up for open loop and install O2 sensors? That makes no sense.

Since you can't get to the tune, can you at least post a log?
Thanks Schpenxel, for your response. They say it "should be in closed loop" (at the appropriate times). And that it was indeed going into closed loop when tested on one of there trikes, before removing and sending to me !
The speed shop's two HP Tuner live data screen shots were emailed to me, but I can not open them w/o having a HPT account ! I forwarded the email to BH.
Now if you or some one on this site has HP Tuner, I would be more than happy to email them to you, as I would really love to see them. I remember seeing them on their computer and they were really cool ?
You know that I truly do appreciate the interest sparked here, and thank you for not throwing me out for being a Troll, LOL !
I could go to my v8bikeriders.com site, but I'm thinking that those boys are more carburetor savvy. Thanks, Craig H.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by craig haymaker
Thanks Schpenxel, for your response. They say it "should be in closed loop" (at the appropriate times). And that it was indeed going into closed loop when tested on one of there trikes, before removing and sending to me !
The speed shop's two HP Tuner live data screen shots were emailed to me, but I can not open them w/o having a HPT account ! I forwarded the email to BH.
Now if you or some one on this site has HP Tuner, I would be more than happy to email them to you, as I would really love to see them. I remember seeing them on their computer and they were really cool ?
You know that I truly do appreciate the interest sparked here, and thank you for not throwing me out for being a Troll, LOL !
I could go to my v8bikeriders.com site, but I'm thinking that those boys are more carburetor savvy. Thanks, Craig H.
You can download HP Tuners software for free. Try this link:

http://files.hptuners.com/VCM%20Suite/VCM%20Suite.msi

Without the interface that they sell you can't really do anything else with the software.. so you can download it for free and at least look at logs

I also have HPT and can look at the logs for you if you can get them.

Not being able to get a copy of the tune royally sucks.. but I will at least try to take a look at a log if you can get one and see if I notice anything obvious. PM me if you would rather email me the log and I'll give you my email address.

Get notified of new replies

To Open loop question please

Quick Reply: Open loop question please