C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Stays on after car is shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM
GeorgeKY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Stays on after car is shut down

My check engine light came on last weekend on my 2012 GS. I called Onstar and they ran diaognostics on the car and no codes are showing up.

The odd thing is that the check engine light does not go off when the car is turned off. Even after it sits over night or for a few days.

Any ideas? I am going to buy a scanner this weekend to see if it picks up any codes. The fact that the light never goes off makes me wonder if a code has tripped the light, Onstar says no, or if there is something else going on?

Would unhooking the battery be a good idea to try to see if the light goes back to normal?

Ultimatly I will take it in for service if there is not an easy fix to make sure there is nothing major going on.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:43 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

I would scan for codes so that i record a before status, then disconnect the batt and reconnect it after a while. Start the car and wait for the cel to come on and scan again to compare before with aftet. Good luck post your findings as I've never heard of this on any brand of car
Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 PM
GeorgeKY
Heel & Toe

Heading by Advanced Auto tomorrow to get a code scanner. I have been out of town this week but I called the dealer and they have not heard of a car doing that either. Once I find out what the cause is I will post the reason an fix. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 PM
norris_83
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From experience, the only advice I can give you is you have an internal error with the ECU.

It's a good sign when you see the Check engine light at ignition on and when the car is on, that means there is still communication between the ECU module and the vehicle.

If you don't see one, your pretty much screwed into buying a new ECU, and to be honest, I've seen the prices of the dealerships here!

When you get the scanner, delete the codes even if it doesn't show you a DTC. Keep it on ignition on and delete DTCs.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:35 PM
GeorgeKY
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the replies and help!
Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 PM
ZZMike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen this happen with a low battery charge and/or loose battery terminals as well. Put the battery on a charger and see if that takes care of the light.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:19 PM
GeorgeKY
Heel & Toe

After buying a scanner, which turned out the sytems was not thowing a code. I went ahead and took it to the shop. They said no code was tripped also. In the end it turned out to be the fuse box. It was replaced and all is good again. I appreciate the responses.

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine Light Stays on after car is shut down

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Stays on after car is shut down