C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 dyno, lower than expected

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:23 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

There's a dyno dynamics in Tulsa, OK? I'm from that area as well. Who tuned this car last?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Calibur45
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtomlin1
I have same spec almost with no nitrous and BTR 3 , mine made 540 whp on Dyno dynamics Dyno.

Mine has msd intake instead of the fast though.

You cam spec on the box seems different to what he advertised though are you sure you have a stage 3
Good to know, that would more in line with what i was expecting to see. As for the cam, you're right and i never noticed but the lift is definitely different. I may have to do a little more research, maybe it was a custom grind to accommodate the n02.

Originally Posted by emoFTW
There's a dyno dynamics in Tulsa, OK? I'm from that area as well. Who tuned this car last?
Car was tuned by EPS in Baton Rouge, LA. There are a couple dyno dynamics around. Car Toys is the shop i went to, just for 3 pulls on the dyno, didn't let them touch the tune.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I would expect the car to make a lot more power as well. I plan on having my car tuned in the next month or so. Let me know if you're interested in getting your car tuned as well. There really isn't any reputable shops in Tulsa that I would recommend taking your car to. My car was tune since by a "reputable" tuner out of state and I wasn't impressed at all. JP out of Van Buren, AR may tune my car next. He's tuned a lot of fast cars in my area and seems pretty knowledgable.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM
JP426
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Calibur45
Good to know, that would more in line with what i was expecting to see. As for the cam, you're right and i never noticed but the lift is definitely different. I may have to do a little more research, maybe it was a custom grind to accommodate the n02.
It looks like the lift numbers on the box are calculated for 1.7 rockers. If you calculate them for 1.8 rockers it is in line with the lift listed on BTR's website.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James Short
I use a dyno dynamics myself and these numbers are exactly where they should be given your setup.

For one the nt05r is the reason for the powerband falling off early. On these small roller dynos you need the hardest compound tire you can use. I see it all the time on these cars losing power and rpm on the rollers due to rolling resistance and traction loss due to tire temperature.

Fwiw I have a few C6Z06's making between 520-530hp on my DD that are running 9.70's to 10.0's depending on launch and traction...
Agreed on the RWHP numbers, HP at the Crank will be a tiny bit closer to what you had originally expected... As others have said, it's just a tool, and your ET's at the 1/4 mile are what matters.

I'm curious though, why did the privious owner install aftermarket heads and cam, replace the pistons etc with forged components, yet leave the bottom end stock? No offesne meant in the least my friend please, but that's like getting half a hard on, it's better than nothing but... Just a little more work and you could have something that would handle a TON of nitrous or boost, I mean God's own chariot kind of power man....

Also, why is your compression ratio so high at 12:1, was that by design, as that really puts a leash on your abilty to make power via forced induction, oe even a bit of spray, etc. At 12:1 you're begging for detonation. Even a bad tank of gas will roast your motor, no? Or did I miss something in your build? What Octane fuel are your putting in your baby?

Again, I DO NOT mean any offense, I'm just trying to understand your goals and how they relate to your build...

PEACE!!!!

Keith
Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Calibur45
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spying Beast
Agreed on the RWHP numbers, HP at the Crank will be a tiny bit closer to what you had originally expected... As others have said, it's just a tool, and your ET's at the 1/4 mile are what matters.

I'm curious though, why did the privious owner install aftermarket heads and cam, replace the pistons etc with forged components, yet leave the bottom end stock? No offesne meant in the least my friend please, but that's like getting half a hard on, it's better than nothing but... Just a little more work and you could have something that would handle a TON of nitrous or boost, I mean God's own chariot kind of power man....

Also, why is your compression ratio so high at 12:1, was that by design, as that really puts a leash on your abilty to make power via forced induction, oe even a bit of spray, etc. At 12:1 you're begging for detonation. Even a bad tank of gas will roast your motor, no? Or did I miss something in your build? What Octane fuel are your putting in your baby?

Again, I DO NOT mean any offense, I'm just trying to understand your goals and how they relate to your build...

PEACE!!!!

Keith
I can't speak to what the previous owner had planned or for why he left the bottom end. Personally i don't plan to put it on boost, and actually plan on selling the N02 setup and just running it NA.

Currently running 91 pump gas as that is pretty much all that's available in Oklahoma, but may look at going e85.

Goal is 9.9 NA, though I'm unsure if it's even capable of that. I really don't want to turn this into a full drag car by having to go with full cage etc to meet sub 10.0 NHRA specs.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The pistons are the weak link. The stock crank and rods will survive quite a bit of power IMO

Though I probably would have at least replaced the rods while I was at it..

Quick Reply: Z06 dyno, lower than expected