C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:10 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tune Problem?

Happy holidays guys and gals.I have a problem with my 2009 Vette.It is a Coupe.A few months ago I took my car in to have the catalytic convertors replaced under the recall.Performance greatly improved and I was glad I had the recall done.I have noticed that if I drive my car around town without driving on the Freeway,my car loses pick up and temds to buck alittle on acceleration.If I take my car on the freeway and drive about 10+miles,the performance improves. I think its in the tuning which the Agency modified when doing the recall.Any suggestions?:fla g:

Last edited by ROD BROWN; 12-25-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
Happy holidays guys and gals.I have a problem with my 2009 Vette.It is a Coupe.A few months ago I took my car in to have the catalytic convertors replaced under the recall.Performance greatly improved and I was glad I had the recall done.I have noticed that if I drive my car around town without driving on the Freeway,my car loses pick up and temds to buck alittle on acceleration.If I take my car on the freeway and drive about 10+miles,the performance improves. I think its in the tuning which the Agency modified when doing the recall.Any suggestions?:fla g:
I have posted this in the Tech/Perf. forum. I compared my 2008 tune file with the recall tune file and the only changes in the tune were in closed loop 02 rich/lean threshold limits. No changes in the Airflow, PE (which is WOT A/F ratio), Knock sensors, knock retard, spark tables, torque management, etc.

Some of us have notice the exhaust has become a little louder over a few hundred miles and with some WOT blasts. In other words, more like normal NPP exhaust sound.

As far as the buck around town, put on a few hundred miles along with some WOT blasts and see if that helps, otherwise I would bring it back in or get an aftermarket tune.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-25-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Mike, just our of curiosity, what software are you using, and is it allowing you to see all the ECM programming changes?

Hence the changes may be in the reaction tables such as sensitive and clocking speeds of the over all programming the differences, with you only being able to see the changes in the closed loop 02 rich/lean threshold limits only instead.

Hence it would not surprise me to the least if GM desensitized the throttle mapping even more to try to gain the needed lower emissions that way too, such as slowing down the speed rate of the actual TB vain opening rates .

Last edited by Dano523; 12-25-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Mike, just our of curiosity, what software are you using, and is it allowing you to see all the ECM programming changes?

Hence the changes may be in the reaction tables such as sensitive and clocking speeds of the over all programming the differences, with you only being able to see the changes in the closed loop 02 rich/lean threshold limits only instead.

Hence it would not surprise me to the least if GM desensitized the throttle mapping even more to try to gain the needed lower emissions that way too, such as slowing down the speed rate of the actual TB vain opening rates .
HPtuners advanced setting.

No changes in Airflow - Electronic throttle.

PM sent.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-25-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:56 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Whenever your ECM is reflashed-----It sets all your P/T fuel trims to "0" and they must be learned out----The more mods you have on your car the longer it takes--Typically an all STOCK car will even take 50-75 miles of normal driving for the trims to learn out---If you have a cat back or CAI it may take longer-----
While your ECM is learning it typically is ADDING fuel at P/T to compensate for your mods---No big deal at P/T however as a lean safety the ECM will also add that same % to your WOT fuel as well until it learns out----This added % can be as much as 20% which will make your WOT fuel pig rich---lazy and bucky---
And finally GM often will update the STOCK tuning file any time the car is brought into the dealer for any repairs whether you ask for it or NOT----They often get updated new files for even an older car-mostly attributed to smog OR TQ management as the previous poster said-- New smog laws now days sucks !!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:59 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by tblu92
Whenever your ECM is reflashed-----It sets all your P/T fuel trims to "0" and they must be learned out----The more mods you have on your car the longer it takes--Typically an all STOCK car will even take 50-75 miles of normal driving for the trims to learn out---If you have a cat back or CAI it may take longer-----
While your ECM is learning it typically is ADDING fuel at P/T to compensate for your mods---No big deal at P/T however as a lean safety the ECM will also add that same % to your WOT fuel as well until it learns out----This added % can be as much as 20% which will make your WOT fuel pig rich---lazy and bucky---
And finally GM often will update the STOCK tuning file any time the car is brought into the dealer for any repairs whether you ask for it or NOT----They often get updated new files for even an older car-mostly attributed to smog OR TQ management as the previous poster said-- New smog laws now days sucks !!
Thank you for the explanation.I'll drive it a while longer and if it smoothens out.Rod
Old 01-11-2016, 12:30 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Default Still running rough

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
Thank you for the explanation.I'll drive it a while longer and if it smoothens out.Rod
Its been quite a while since the dealership replaced the mufflers and the catalytic converters.My car still isn't running as it should.I guess the car will have to go back to the dealer.The car runs great after driving on the freeway,but around town its lacking in power.Rod
Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Absolutely would take it back for warranty fix----A tuner can data log what's going onand tell you the cause--- but you would have to pay for that----According to the previous post seems like GM has either changed the front 02 locations or the front o2 switching points---This all has to do with P/T driving and not WOT--so it seems this is where your issue lies-----I suspect that after the cat change---your fuel trims never completely learned out--causing you fueling issues---Normally they self correct after 50 miles of normal driving but it seems yours didn't---Any change or correction beyond approx. 20-25% will NEVER learn out and cause codes and or P/T issues--
Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've seen a few tunes before/after this warranty work and they were nearly identical. Maybe this one is different.. but the switch points were not changed in all the rest I've seen.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune Problem?

Quick Reply: Tune Problem?