C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any obstacles in tuning readiness monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:58 AM
jnrandall
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Any obstacles in tuning readiness monitor?

My 2011 GS was last tuned by Cartek in May of 2014 when I had my Edelbrock installed. Later that year, I passed my NYS inspection without issue. Last week I went for my inspection and it failed due to 3 readiness monitor parameters showing as incomplete. The actual monitors are Evap, Oxygen & Oxygen Heater. The battery was disconnected a week before during audio system change, so I assume that caused this issue. After failing, I put about 70 miles on the car over a couple of days and my reader showed the indicators remained unchanged. During the past few days I put about 550 miles on the car traveling from NYC to DC and back visiting family. While the Evap monitor cleared, the other 2 didn't. I've learned that these readiness monitors can be shut off by a tuner. I suppose Cartek may be closed for the holiday, since I can't reach them and my inspection is up on 12/31.

Can any other vendor (Vette Doctors, CoW, etc) turn these monitors off even if their software is different from the one Cartek uses? * I also don't know what Cartek used but I also heard that they don't lock the tunes.

If the answer to the question above is yes, can I just buy HP Tuners and do it myself? This is also assuming HP Tuner support or a forum tuning guru can walk me through it.

Thanks and Merry Xmas!
JR
Old 12-27-2015, 06:21 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

It's fairly simple to get the readiness tests turned off once you have hp tuners, but that's a hefty price to pay ($500 for just the standard version...but the pro version is recommended). If you do decide to get hp tuners someone could surely walk you through it.

If the tune isn't locked, any tuner can turn them off but you'll want to turn them some of them back on at least.

Here's the GM drive cycle...which you can do for the cost of gas, but is a PITA.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 PM
jnrandall
Instructor

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yes any tuner can set all your readiness monitors to be permanently set to "ready"-
The only time another tuner won't be able to get into your tune is IF the previous tuner "LOCKED" your tune----Then only the originator of the tune can get back into it----
As far as drawbacks from setting the monitors to read ready permanently--depends on which ones they altered----Typically most modded cars have to alter the rear 02 settings (due to LT headers) and then the EVAP ones--these don't have any affect on your engines running as they are only smog related---Really the only monitors that when set permanently to ready that may affect your engine are any that at FRONT 02 related---As the front 02's completely control all your P/T fueling----so if you disable them then you will never get a code IF you have a front 02 failure---However a front 02 failure can usually be felt by the owner as the car will run like crap----
Old 12-28-2015, 12:33 PM
jnrandall
Instructor

Update:

I just passed my inspection! I don't know how though. I still have items marked as 'inc'. When I checked the code reader last night, EVAP was reading as 'n/a'.

Thanks for all the new knowledge about this process.

Get notified of new replies

To Any obstacles in tuning readiness monitor?

Quick Reply: Any obstacles in tuning readiness monitor?