C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Z06 Tampa Tuning session

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default 2009 Z06 Tampa Tuning session

I recently purchased this 2009 Z06: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...take-more.html

Time for a quick tuning session to see if there was and hidden power waiting to be extracted. I contacted Phil from Tampa Tuning and he set things up 813-727-8720.

A quick photo shoot then got busy with the tuning. Phil from Tampa Tuning base lined the car. By the end of the day he found an additional 52ft*lbs of torque waking my car to beast mode with 604 ft*lbs of torque! Big thanks to Phil. Note: this car was already tuned at a reputable place so I'm extremely impressed to see such an improvement. Where else on earth can you have such a beautiful place to tune your ride?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Mods:
- Halltech MF103 Intake
- Nick Williams 102mm TB
- MSD Atomic Air Force Intake Manifold
- Advanced Induction 280CC heads, BTR springs, Ferrea 2042P Exhaust valves
- EPS (Engine Power Systems) custom grind cam - 232/246 duration, .639/.639 lift on a 115+3 LSA
- Kooks 1 7/8 Long Tubes, 3" Catted X-pipe
- MSD Plug Wires
- "Modded" Z06 Cat-Back w/Mild2Wild switch
- McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, Tick Master Cylinder, Tick Remote Bleeder
Old 02-19-2016, 06:47 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Default Before and after Tuning Torque Numbers

I like the torque increase across the board. This is a seat of the pants difference you can really feel. Note: These are average numbers there was a peak value of 620 before averaging it together on the after.

Last edited by MickVette; 02-19-2016 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Add information
The following users liked this post:
67435animal (02-25-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 11:50 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Tampa Tuning does great work. He's truly a well trained calibrator.

Tuning@TampaTuning.com

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 02-28-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:05 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by MickVette
I like the torque increase across the board. This is a seat of the pants difference you can really feel. Note: These are average numbers there was a peak value of 620 before averaging it together on the after.

Where are you getting these torque values from? Just using what the car is reporting or is this data from the dyno fed back to HPT?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:37 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Where are you getting these torque values from? Just using what the car is reporting or is this data from the dyno fed back to HPT?
Yes, HPTuners, not dyno. Back to back runs at the same place. Best apples to apples we had while being able to tune drive ability. Even if the numbers are off, both charts would be off the same so the delta increase is realistic.

Last edited by MickVette; 02-28-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

UPDATE:
I made a semi-sealed prototype airbox. Here are the results:

Getting 8 more g/cyl of air and within 2°F of ambient temps which were 82°F tonight.

I'll post pictures of the finished airbox since the prototype is very ugly. Again, these are average numbers. There was a peak 640 torque value at 4800 just before the tires broke traction at 85 mph.

Last edited by MickVette; 05-12-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:13 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Default Sealed airbox and touch up tune

Finished the sealed airbox. Here are the results:

Where I started when i bought the car:

After Tampa Tuning in as purchased trim:

It maxed out the torque HPTuners will read...and the stock injectors.

All of the seams are sealed. There are three air inlets (I know this isn't the best case but I have a reason...for now), The factory front is opened up and an air diverter was formed over the center of the filter not allowing air directly into the filter. There are two openings on each bottom side of the box feeding from the big lower opening to allow more indirect air into the box. Since I was worried about injector size I decided to have three openings so only the lowest pressure would be used and not over-pressurize more than I had injector. That probably cause a little turbulence in the box but I can't complain with the results.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM
2 vettes in the barn
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil at Tampa Tuning does wonderful work. Several club guys recommended him because he takes his time with the cars. He spent almost three hour on mine just detailing the corvette to my driving style.

He tuned my C6 with a street performance tune and its a totally difference Corvette. Tampa Tuning made the D mode shifting for one style of driving and my S mode more aggressive for street racing. Very fun corvette now chirping the gears
Old 05-31-2016, 05:20 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

I like the fact that Phil takes his time and does a thorough job. A real tuning difference you can feel tailored to suite your driving style. I'll throw Phil a little picture support!!!!

Originally Posted by 2 vettes in the barn
Phil at Tampa Tuning does wonderful work. Several club guys recommended him because he takes his time with the cars. He spent almost three hour on mine just detailing the corvette to my driving style.

He tuned my C6 with a street performance tune and its a totally difference Corvette. Tampa Tuning made the D mode shifting for one style of driving and my S mode more aggressive for street racing. Very fun corvette now chirping the gears

Last edited by MickVette; 05-31-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

I made a few changes: ported the intake, dropped the cats, designed a new air box and a few tuning adjustments. Here are the results.

Engine compartment pic:

The computer is now asking for 105% injector duty cycle.
New HPTuners Torque Reading results:

This is a big jump from where the car started when I bought it:
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Mods:
- Halltech MF103 Intake with a Mick-A-Fied sealed lid
- Nick Williams 102mm TB
- MSD Atomic Air Force Intake Manifold (Ported by me)
- Advanced Induction 280CC heads, BTR springs, Ferrea 2042P Exhaust valves
- EPS (Engine Power Systems) custom grind cam - 232/246 duration, .639/.639 lift on a 115+3 LSA
- Kooks 1 7/8 Long Tubes, 3" Catless X-pipe
- MSD Plug Wires with NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs TR7IX # 3690
- "Modded" Z06 Cat-Back w/Mild2Wild switch
- McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, Tick Master Cylinder, Tick Remote Bleeder
- Katech CF ground effects - wrapped 3M Matte Black
- Forgestar F14's in Black Chrome, Bridgestone RE-11's

Last edited by MickVette; 11-29-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 AM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I like what you did....but to me air still has to be sucked in instead of forced in like the vararam sc1r....I think i will try my idea of 4in y pipe off throttle body with two 3in rubber hoses ending at the front bottom of the car with two 2in x 6in rectagular fixed plastic ends...that should really force some air up to the intake....i have vette air mod and haltech with beehive but air comes in ,hits rubber bottom of filter and has to be sucked in....i think scr vararam has best design for getting forced air...but even just looking at that tells you more air can be brought in ..looks like it has to many turns and not a big enough intake for the air...so if you want make what im talking about and let me know,,,,lol

Last edited by meinersk; 11-29-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by meinersk
I like what you did....but to me air still has to be sucked in instead of forced in like the vararam sc1r....I think i will try my idea of 4in y pipe off throttle body with two 3in rubber hoses ending at the front bottom of the car with two 2in x 6in rectagular fixed plastic ends...that should really force some air up to the intake....i have vette air mod and haltech with beehive but air comes in ,hits rubber bottom of filter and has to be sucked in....i think scr vararam has best design for getting forced air...but even just looking at that tells you more air can be brought in ..looks like it has to many turns and not a big enough intake for the air...so if you want make what im talking about and let me know,,,,lol
Let me know how your design works. I'm very interested!

(Edit: I re-read your comment with hitting the rubber back of the air filter. What you can not see is I did address that as best I could with some material shaping around the filter to direct air more toward the center. The back of the air filter design is pretty good with a center opening resembling the shape of a velocity stack as best as possible.)

My air box just has air scoop openings, no turns except the slight bend in the Halltech tube between the air filter and the throttle body. You can look in the NACA duct and see/touch the air filter now that I opened the NACA duct. Both NACA duct and bottom air scoops feed a common volume to the air filter with the rear of the air filter at the highest pressure area of that volume with my latest configuration.

Going from 1.08 g/cyl to 1.24 g/cyl using the same mechanical parts with the exception of sealing the air box proves that air is getting forced into the engine a bit around 85+ mph. I'm not sure exactly how much of that is forced air and what portion is tuning as both have an effect. Air is primarily getting sucked in below those speeds but the air temps quickly go to ambient temperature within seconds of driving. (The later port work, freer exhaust, air box and tuning got that 1.28 g/cyl number)

I'm not opposed to trying the configuration you described. My current design works extremely well and when I remove my little creation and put the non-sealed unit back on the performance is greatly reduced.

If I could change one thing I would want the total air box volume to be 2-3 times as large with a single non-turbulent inlet.

Last edited by MickVette; 11-29-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Well i can appreciate your thoughts and work....good job....now do my idea and tell me about it...lol.....i wont be able to do testing..ill be having shop add many mods and ill put this on also and tune same time...

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z06 Tampa Tuning session

Quick Reply: 2009 Z06 Tampa Tuning session