C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standalone Datalogger Available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Standalone Datalogger Available?

I'm wanting to add some datalogging capabilities to my newly modded 08, but don't want to have to be tied to a laptop. I always have an iOS device with me and if need be could add an Android easily enough. Really just wanting to track the basics like fuel trim, timing, knock, wideband 02 (eventually), rpm, etc over the course of standing mile or 1/4 mile runs.

Is there anything out there that will do this?
Old 02-24-2016, 02:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

HPTuners enhanced interface has standalone data logging built in. Just hit the record button and it records and you can download the logs later

For basic info (everything you mentioned except wideband) you can use a cheapo elm327 wifi interface + an app called dashlogic to record logs, display data, etc. It's really neat for the price. You can also view/reset codes.

It's quite nice and you'll have < $30 in it total.

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-24-2016 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
98Pace (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:19 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I've seen the elm327 interfaces around, but thought they were probably not worth trying. I guess I'll look more into one. Thanks for the tips!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:44 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Food for thought

Originally Posted by 98Pace
I've seen the elm327 interfaces around, but thought they were probably not worth trying. I guess I'll look more into one. Thanks for the tips!
Depends on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole. I agree HP Tuners is a better option if you need the ability to modify your tune on the fly. The below is taken from a couple threads I answered a similar question too a while back.

........................................ ........................................ .........

All data below collected with:
  • Galaxy S4
  • Android Torque App
  • Scantool MX Bluetooth OBD Adapter

........................................ ........................................ .........

I have since updated my system and the following data represents my old setup's accuracy.

Originally Posted by ls1121
So I got my adapter and the Torque software, new toy. I am wondering if anyone knows how accurate is the software for the 0 - 60 times and the 1/4 mile times and speed. Does anyone know for sure?
OP,

The Short Answer:
It depends on your Phone, OBDii module, and if you are using a external GPS. Torque is fairly accurate if you provide good data too it, my above post to tblu92 shows this.

The Long Answer:
The following data was taken when I first started playing with torque and data logging, I assume you have a similar setup. My setup was a Samsung S4 and the cheap $20 ELM Bluetooth OBDii reader. Since then I have upgraded my OBDii reader and added a external 10Hz GPS module, the video posted above to tblue92 was made using my current setup.

With Torque or any smartphone based data system the sample rate is heavily depends on how much stuff you log. In the below post I was pulling between 15-20 channels of data (some are hidden), this is why my refresh rate is . With my original setup I could only achieved a 10Hz (0.1 second) refresh when I logged 4 channels or less.

The phone is recording at 10Hz (0.1 sample/sec) but the $20 ELM OBDii is not producing new data at that rate

I'm using my phone's internal GPS which refreshes at 1Hz (1 sample/sec) at best so it sucks for drag racing.

Torque is recording a fairly accurate trap speed but the ETA is off due to the poor refresh rate of the OBDii sensor & GPS.

The following users liked this post:
98Pace (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Ok, thats a cool setup! Is the Galaxy S4 still a good device to use or is there something better now? Which gps module are you using?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:29 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Do they not have built in gps? I'm using track addict on my iPhone with the internal gps (and elm327 for data) and it's pretty good at doing gauge overlays, etc.

I don't have time slips to compare to but for the price it was def worth it

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-25-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Do they not have built in gps? I'm using track addict on my iPhone with the internal gps (and elm327 for data) and it's pretty good at doing gauge overlays, etc.

I don't have time slips to compare to but for the price it was def worth it
Yes the Galaxy S4 has a build-in GPS but it only refreshes at roughly 1Hz (1 sample per sec) so its not that accurate for drag racing but is fine for track days. I started using a external GPS module because I'm a data nerd.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by 98Pace
Ok, thats a cool setup! Is the Galaxy S4 still a good device to use or is there something better now? Which gps module are you using?

I have used my Galaxy S4 for the past 2 years without any issues. I'm not sure if a newer phone would be better. It all comes down to how much do you want to spend and what data are you trying to collect?

GPS module I'm using:
Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz 66 Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver -->
Link to Amazon Link to Amazon

Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by truth.b
Yes the Galaxy S4 has a build-in GPS but it only refreshes at roughly 1Hz (1 sample per sec) so its not that accurate for drag racing but is fine for track days. I started using a external GPS module because I'm a data nerd.
Gotcha, makes sense. I'm not even sure what Apple's refreshes at.. for my purposes it works fine though.. if I was doing drag racing I'd probably want something faster
Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

I have used my Galaxy S4 for the past 2 years without any issues. I'm not sure if a newer phone would be better. It all comes down to how much do you want to spend and what data are you trying to collect?

GPS module I'm using:
Qstarz BT-Q818XT 10Hz 66 Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver --> Link to Amazon

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go pretty much this exact route. Looks like it will give me way more data than I think I need which is never a bad thing!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I just plugged in an OBD scan tool. I'm using an Android 10" tablet. I'll be putting Kooks headers with a wideband O2 sensor. How do you get the AFR displayed?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

You aren't going to be reading actual AFR from the wideband through an OBD scan tool. Two totally separate things and no way to connect them.

You need something like HP Tuners or EFI live if you want to log wideband data alongside data from the car. They have inputs for external sensors such as a wideband.

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-28-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Before OBD scan tool dongles I used a g meter that suction cupped to the windshield. The difference in 1/4 mile et and mph from the unit and the track results was due to the fact that the g meter started timing as soon as the car started to move where as the track timing system doesn't start until the car has rolled enough for the front wheel to unblock the timing beam. G meter et will be longer. Mph is also different. Meter records mph when it gets to a 1/4 mile. Track timing system uses a 66 foot speed trap before end of the quarter. It measures time it takes to go thru the trap which is an average speed. Since a car is still accelerating thru the trap the speed at the end will be higher than the average. For example you enter the trap at 110 and 66 feet later you're doing 120. But the time measured to go thru says you're doing 115. It used to be a132 foot trap- 66 feet before the end of the 1/4 and 66 feet after. This gave a more accurate mph. But top fuel cars kept accelerating that 66 feet past the end of the quarter to set top speed records. But as speeds increased they were running out of track to stop. So NHRA removed the 66 feet after the quarter for safety. Then when that wasn't enough shortened top fuel to 1000 feet.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:30 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
Before OBD scan tool dongles I used a g meter that suction cupped to the windshield. The difference in 1/4 mile et and mph from the unit and the track results was due to the fact that the g meter started timing as soon as the car started to move where as the track timing system doesn't start until the car has rolled enough for the front wheel to unblock the timing beam. G meter et will be longer. Mph is also different. Meter records mph when it gets to a 1/4 mile. Track timing system uses a 66 foot speed trap before end of the quarter. It measures time it takes to go thru the trap which is an average speed. Since a car is still accelerating thru the trap the speed at the end will be higher than the average. For example you enter the trap at 110 and 66 feet later you're doing 120. But the time measured to go thru says you're doing 115. It used to be a132 foot trap- 66 feet before the end of the 1/4 and 66 feet after. This gave a more accurate mph. But top fuel cars kept accelerating that 66 feet past the end of the quarter to set top speed records. But as speeds increased they were running out of track to stop. So NHRA removed the 66 feet after the quarter for safety. Then when that wasn't enough shortened top fuel to 1000 feet.

Thanks for the history lesson, I didn't know about any of this but is sure does explain alot.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

That is interesting. I had never heard that

Get notified of new replies

To Standalone Datalogger Available?

Quick Reply: Standalone Datalogger Available?