C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did a speed density tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 02:46 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by MickVette
I agree the camshaft is the source of the surging and poor idle quality (reverse pulses through the MAF totally confusing it - you can see it on the log play back via wide frequency range all at idle).

I want to try MAP for idle up to about 1500 rpms then switch over to the MAF/MAP combo that is currently used. Does anyone know the specifics how to do this in HP tuners? I have a wideband so I can tun the MAP table once the MAF is disabled, but I would like to keep both sensors active in case one fails.
You can go from mixed mode to MAF only by changing the dynamic airflow disable RPM setting, but that won't really help with what you want to do.

I still think you're better off just going SD and being done with it.

I always wondered if you could use the dynamic airflow prediction coefficients to make it only really use the MAP at lower RPM's, then set dynamic airflow disable to 1500 RPM's or whatever so it would switch over to MAF only then, but I've never messed with the coefficients enough to know if it's possible. I've always read that HPT doesn't offer access to all of the coefficients there really are.

I'd just carry an extra MAP sensor in your glovebox if it's a major concern.

Last edited by schpenxel; 03-25-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:30 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by schpenxel
You can go from mixed mode to MAF only by changing the dynamic airflow disable RPM setting, but that won't really help with what you want to do.

I still think you're better off just going SD and being done with it.

I always wondered if you could use the dynamic airflow prediction coefficients to make it only really use the MAP at lower RPM's, then set dynamic airflow disable to 1500 RPM's or whatever so it would switch over to MAF only then, but I've never messed with the coefficients enough to know if it's possible. I've always read that HPT doesn't offer access to all of the coefficients there really are.

I'd just carry an extra MAP sensor in your glovebox if it's a major concern.
Makes sense. I had AEM on my Turbo Mustang and tuned it solely SD without issues. Streetable mid 9 sec car.

The HPTuners seems more procedure driven so I'm having difficulty finding a good step by step to initiate MAP sensor tuning. I know others have done it many, many times so I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I did a search in HPTuners forums and have some reading to do now unless someone can point out a good link to get me started. <===== hoping for that result.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Set maf high freq fail to 1 hz and it will be running in SD mode. It's under engine diag, airflow I believe.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:45 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Set maf high freq fail to 1 hz and it will be running in SD mode. It's under engine diag, airflow I believe.
Thank you. I'll find it. Time to install the wideband!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:31 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Update:

What I could not find was my wideband - packed in a box in one of two 10x30 storage units. MAP tuning on hold. Looking through the settings it looks like the car is using MAF only right now.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Update, Update:

Sorry to stray from the thread topic a bit but I gave up on finding the wide band for now but built a sealed air box, opened the front end a bit and did some fine tuning. I still have the surging at low loads but I'm impressed with the sealed air box upper RPM and highway cruising improvements so I thought I'd share the results.

Mick-A-Fied Sealed Air Box Results (maxed out the torque reading HPTuners will display at 640):

After Tampa Tuning in as purchased trim (nice improvement over as purchased torque values on HPTuners):

Torque values from HPTuners in as purchased form:

Sealed air box:

I formed a Kydex Lid:

All of the seams are sealed. There are three air inlets (I know this isn't the best case but I have a reason...for now), The factory front is opened up and a Kydex air diverter was formed over the center of the air filter not allowing air directly into the filter (MAF Sensor). There are two openings on each bottom side of the box feeding from the big lower opening to allow more indirect air into the box. Since I was worried about injector size I decided to have three openings so the lowest pressure would be used as a bleed off and not over-pressurize more than I had injector. That probably causes a little turbulence in the box but I can't complain with the results.

Mick-A-Fied Air Box Rev2 is in progress. The sides ballooned out pretty far so I am reinforcing there and I had to add more screws to the lid as well. I'd like to hit 128 g/cyl and match my buddy's 441cu LS7.

Now, I need to find that wide band and get back on subject!!!
The following users liked this post:
KP-C6Z (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 03:11 PM
KP-C6Z
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MickVette, I've got similar mods, have you had any trouble with your hot starts?
Old 06-18-2016, 04:45 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Cold starts are a little rough and the rpms hunt a little but hot starts are good. Are you using hptuners? I can send you my tune of you want to compare files.

Originally Posted by KP-C6Z
MickVette, I've got similar mods, have you had any trouble with your hot starts?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 PM
KP-C6Z
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MickVette
Cold starts are a little rough and the rpms hunt a little but hot starts are good. Are you using hptuners? I can send you my tune of you want to compare files.
That would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

I'm going to be traveling for another week so please shoot me a reminder if I haven't sent it to you by Monday June 27th. Take my timing strategies with a grain of salt as I experiment between a tough sounding idle, minimizing surging, freeway cruising fuel economy, drivability, keeping revs from hanging, minimizing popping out of the exhaust and keeping the power good. Some areas are not blended at all on purpose.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Check private message
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

what about the changes of weather with SD tune?? Is it gonna compensate enough? Here it could go from 90 to 50 in 24 hours!!
Old 07-02-2016, 03:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

If the tuner does it right it's fine.

The car sounds miserable to drive the way it is.. so not like you have a lot to lose. At least switch it to SD real quick and see if that gets rid of the problem IMO

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-02-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:07 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

If the tuner does it right it's fine.

The car sounds miserable to drive the way it is.. so not like you have a lot to lose. At least switch it to SD real quick and see if that gets rid of the problem IMO
Yes it is and this is my last attemp to get this **** to work right!!! So sick of the BS
Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I know you're pretty frustrated with it--I wish you were local and I'd try to take care of it for you

Just let me know if the tuner needs a second set of eyes to take a look over anything. I can talk to him or email with him or whatever he wants if it will help.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:14 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Yes it is and this is my last attemp to get this **** to work right!!! So sick of the BS
Pretty surprised reading this. I know something was up with that car beforehand, but the tuner in question knows what he is doing. I will be doing some tuning Monday and will ask what's going on. Very curious now.

Quick Reply: Just did a speed density tune