C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Install/Tune Question

Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Long Tube Install/Tune Question

Quick question for you guys. I have this thread posted over in the general discussion board but didn't receive a single reply. I'm trying to get a basis so I can schedule an appointment to have this work done.

Moderators I apologize in advance if I'm wrong in copying the thread here.

Here's my question:

I just purchased the Kooks 1 3/4 LT Headers w/High Flow Cats. I'm going to leave the NPP system on the car. I'm now trying to find a shop to install them when they come in 3(weeks) turnaround because I'm having them coated so I have some time to check around for a comparison.

I got a quote from a vendor here a little while ago over the phone:

4-5 hour install time

$110 per hour charge for labor but willing to lower it to $80 if I set it up over the phone & $500 for a tune and DYNO pull.

All & all it rounds up to about $940/or $1050

Does this sound reasonable? I'm in the Maryland area if anyone wants to recommend a shop they went with.

Last edited by Get_UmJ13; 03-31-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:32 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default somewhat reasonable

Originally Posted by Get_UmJ13
Quick question for you guys. I have this thread posted over in the general discussion board but didn't receive a single reply. I'm trying to get a basis so I can schedule an appointment to have this work done.

Moderators I apologize in advance if I'm wrong in copying the thread here.

Here's my question:

I just purchased the Kooks 1 3/4 LT Headers w/High Flow Cats. I'm going to leave the NPP system on the car. I'm now trying to find a shop to install them when they come in 3(weeks) turnaround because I'm having them coated so I have some time to check around for a comparison.

I got a quote from a vendor here a little while ago over the phone:

4-5 hour install time

$110 per hour charge for labor but willing to lower it to $80 if I set it up over the phone & $500 for a tune and DYNO pull.

All & all it rounds up to about $940/or $1050

Does this sound reasonable? I'm in the Maryland area if anyone wants to recommend a shop they went with.

5 hours @ $80.=$400.+$500. for tune=$900. seems somewhat reasonable.5 hours gives them time to do install at a leisurely pace.they should do a perfect job at this pace.go for it!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Get_UmJ13 (03-31-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I wouldn't think they would need 4-5 hours to install long tubes. Either way $500 for a tune is not unusual, so even if they knock it down to 2.5 hours of labor it doesn't save a ton. $200 or so. I think they can do it faster than 4-5 hours personally.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I wouldn't think they would need 4-5 hours to install long tubes. Either way $500 for a tune is not unusual, so even if they knock it down to 2.5 hours of labor it doesn't save a ton. $200 or so. I think they can do it faster than 4-5 hours personally.
Thank you

That was my thought as well I've watched videos of the install on youtube and companies websites and the install seemed to take at the most an hours grant that's with two people and perhaps they sped up the recording. I have no experience with the install but that seemed a bit long in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah I mean I've pulled the headers and half the drivetrain/transmission/torque tube out in 4-5 hours before... but hopefully they'll be a bit more careful than I was
Old 04-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah I mean I've pulled the headers and half the drivetrain/transmission/torque tube out in 4-5 hours before... but hopefully they'll be a bit more careful than I was
I am praying you are right

I am doing my LG's next week , using my buddy's lift

I am banking on the fact that the x pipe and disconnecting the mufflers should be no problem as I recently had the NPP's installed and everything was taken down once already

So that leaves removing the exhaust manifolds as the unknown but I don't think they are a problem.... should I be concerned ?

Bolting them back up as long as everything is loose should be easy right ?

Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 06:00 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Shouldn't be too bad. I'd spray some penetrating lube or something on the header bolts the night before if you can.

Yeah what I did was left all the bolts loose enough to wiggle things around a little, then once everything was on tightened everything up
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (04-01-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

The OP does not say if his is a dry sump version. It takes longer, because you have to drain the oil, remove/reinstall the sump oil lines, refill oil, prime it before starting, etc., if you're ****, like me.

I watched the shop install mine on a dry sump, they were busy the 4 hours.

And, that price does seem reasonable.

They had a deal going at Xplosive Performance here in FL, I brought a change of oil with me, and they did the oil/filter change, header, high flow cats, x-pipe and new plugs install, with a 6 pull dyno tune (all parts included) for $1940. This was for LG Super Pro 1 7/8" headers and 3" x-pipe.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Seadawg
The OP does not say if his is a dry sump version. It takes longer, because you have to drain the oil, remove/reinstall the sump oil lines, refill oil, prime it before starting, etc., if you're ****, like me.

I watched the shop install mine on a dry sump, they were busy the 4 hours.

And, that price does seem reasonable.

They had a deal going at Xplosive Performance here in FL, I brought a change of oil with me, and they did the oil/filter change, header, high flow cats, x-pipe and new plugs install, with a 6 pull dyno tune (all parts included) for $1940. This was for LG Super Pro 1 7/8" headers and 3" x-pipe.
Thanks for the response, no the car is a A6 so there isn't a dry sump can on the car. I have called a couple other shops outside of my local area and they all have come back lower then my initial quote. However, that's because a lot of shops are running specials for the spring season. Going to check with a couple more shops since I'm still waiting on the parts. Is there a reason you replaced your plugs? My car only has 2300 miles on it purchased last spring with 450 on it. I don't plan on tracking it so the headers, cats, x-pipe, with a tune is all I'll do.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Thanks for the response, no the car is a A6 so there isn't a dry sump can on the car. I have called a couple other shops outside of my local area and they all have come back lower then my initial quote. However, that's because a lot of shops are running specials for the spring season. Going to check with a couple more shops since I'm still waiting on the parts. Is there a reason you replaced your plugs? My car only has 2300 miles on it purchased last spring with 450 on it. I don't plan on tracking it so the headers, cats, x-pipe, with a tune is all I'll do.
I had about 50k miles on mine, and I let them replace the plugs as part of the special, but I saved the old ones. You should be fine with the factory plugs

I did buy spark plug wire heat shields, and they installed them during the install. I would recommend them, just for a little extra piece of mind that it will make the wires last longer.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I had about 50k miles on mine, and I let them replace the plugs as part of the special, but I saved the old ones. You should be fine with the factory plugs

I did buy spark plug wire heat shields, and they installed them during the install. I would recommend them, just for a little extra piece of mind that it will make the wires last longer.
Ok great didn't want to have to replace the plugs if there wasn't a need. I do plan to get the plug wire heat shields still trying to figure out what color I want to put in there leaning towards the red ones though.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Ok great didn't want to have to replace the plugs if there wasn't a need. I do plan to get the plug wire heat shields still trying to figure out what color I want to put in there leaning towards the red ones though.
that's what I bought ..
Old 04-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Bert,M.
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default arh, lg, kooks,

Also in the mist of debating which exhaust brand to go with. Been doing a lot of reading on the forum. ARH is what I'm leaning towards but the price tag is kinda stretching my limit on the overall budget. I will be doing all my install myself cause i do have access to a lift. Also got a quote for dyno and tune for $500.

list of my thoughts,

ARH headers with catless x-pipe.
Hellcat SuperBee MF-103
Borla S-Type II ( Open to suggestions )
Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Feel free to give us a call. We can get you taken care of with in your timeline.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Bert,

Seems like you have a good list there I didn't worry about the CAI because from what I read the LS3 ones used on the later models (have a 2013 GS) supplies enough air for the ZR1. I'm also keeping the NPP exhaust. Went with the Kooks 1 3/4 LT headers with high flow cats and x-pipe. Now once I have them I'll need to find a shop that won't break the bank to install and tune.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Dshrop88
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 C6 base I was going to add ARH 1 3/4 long tube catted with Borla Atak was debating with the S type II. Was recently told to use the ARH and NPP exhaust. Now I'm not sure what to do my biggest concern was making my vehicle louder don't care about the hp gain I even considered only adding the Borla Atak rear exhaust with stock headers.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dshrop88
I have a 2013 C6 base I was going to add ARH 1 3/4 long tube catted with Borla Atak was debating with the S type II. Was recently told to use the ARH and NPP exhaust. Now I'm not sure what to do my biggest concern was making my vehicle louder don't care about the hp gain I even considered only adding the Borla Atak rear exhaust with stock headers.
So your main goal is to make it louder ?

I just installed LG 1 7/8 long tubes with hi flow cats and NPP mufflers

This thing with the NPP's open now sounds down right Angry

I cant believe how loud it got and its a good loud not a bad sounding loud , when you hammer on it it sounds like a mild Pro Stocker lol

With the NPP's closed it sounds like a Cadillac you can barely hear them , louder with the headers but still quiet

I like the NPP's as its the best of both worlds with the push of a button

I use to ride around with them open all the time but as time wore on , it got old , now I open them 1/2 the time depending on where I am going and what mood I am in

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Long Tube Install/Tune Question

Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Dshrop88
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
So your main goal is to make it louder ?

I just installed LG 1 7/8 long tubes with hi flow cats and NPP mufflers

This thing with the NPP's open now sounds down right Angry

I cant believe how loud it got and its a good loud not a bad sounding loud , when you hammer on it it sounds like a mild Pro Stocker lol

With the NPP's closed it sounds like a Cadillac you can barely hear them , louder with the headers but still quiet

I like the NPP's as its the best of both worlds with the push of a button

I use to ride around with them open all the time but as time wore on , it got old , now I open them 1/2 the time depending on where I am going and what mood I am in

Dave
Yes my main goal is to make it louder. But what I don't understand is how could the headers with NPP sound better then headers with Borla. I want my car to sound like a Lions roar. I want it to scare dogs and cats but remain quiet while cruising
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dshrop88
Yes my main goal is to make it louder. But what I don't understand is how could the headers with NPP sound better then headers with Borla. I want my car to sound like a Lions roar. I want it to scare dogs and cats but remain quiet while cruising
Sound is really a personal choice but I can assure you that the first time I jumped on it on Sunday after the install ...

"Women were pulling small children off the street "

Its loud ........................................ ...........and sound great

With Borla's you cant turn them off and " have them remain quiet while cruising" but you sure as hell can press the button on NPP's and have your car go from a PRO Stocker to a Cadillac

Last edited by Dcasole; 04-12-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Feel free to give us a call. We can get you taken care of with in your timeline.
Another vote for this shop If I ever move back to DE, they will be my shop of choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Tube Install/Tune Question