C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can i get a copy of my original factory tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Default How can i get a copy of my original factory tune?

I have a 2011 Grand Sport, MN6, and I had it tuned back in October of 2014. It's a shop about an hour away.

Dumb me, I forgot to take a USB drive with me, and I did not get my original (factory) tune.

The tuning place said they would email it to me, but I've been trying on and off since then, and they have not got it to me.

Could they be delaying because they don't have it, or are just too busy?

Should I go by there with a drive, and be professionally persistant, and get it?

Should I also try to get the license key info from them, that is for my VIN? I paid for it

My fear is I may want to sell my vette some day. And if I did, I would most likely take the headers off myself, and find someone with HP Tuners to reinstall the tune, even if it meant buying a license key.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I have a 2011 Grand Sport, MN6, and I had it tuned back in October of 2014. It's a shop about an hour away.

Dumb me, I forgot to take a USB drive with me, and I did not get my original (factory) tune.

The tuning place said they would email it to me, but I've been trying on and off since then, and they have not got it to me.

Could they be delaying because they don't have it, or are just too busy?

Should I go by there with a drive, and be professionally persistant, and get it?

Should I also try to get the license key info from them, that is for my VIN? I paid for it

My fear is I may want to sell my vette some day. And if I did, I would most likely take the headers off myself, and find someone with HP Tuners to reinstall the tune, even if it meant buying a license key.
I looked in the HPTuners repository and it did not list a 2011 GS manual. However, it does list a 2010 GS Manual or 2012 GS Manual, NPP stock file. Anyone with HPTuners can download this file or email it to you. If you like to PM me your email and I can send you either the 2010 or 2012 GS manual file.
The following users liked this post:
Seadawg (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Thanks! Let me reach out to them (again.....) and hopefully I can get a copy of my original one.

They assured me previously that even if they went out of business, I could get it from HPTuners.

But, I want a copy for myself
Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Here is a 2011 GS A6 and a 2012 GS M6 stock tune. That is as close as I could find. Any differences between these and your original should be tiny. You shouldn't have any trouble using these to see what has been changed in the tune you're using now or to revert things back to stock.

You can't get your actual original file from HP Tuners. You can get an original file for the same car or one close to it (i.e. what I've attached) and then use that to change everything back to how it was stock. It accomplishes the same thing, but the way your original posted was worded it sounded like he told you HPT has a copy of the original tune, and they do not (unless for some reason you or he sent it to them)
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
2011 C6 GS, A6.hpt (3.59 MB, 341 views)
File Type: hpt
2012 C6 GS, M6.hpt (1.71 MB, 103 views)
Seadawg (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Here is a 2011 GS A6 and a 2012 GS M6 stock tune. That is as close as I could find. Any differences between these and your original should be tiny. You shouldn't have any trouble using these to see what has been changed in the tune you're using now or to revert things back to stock.

You can't get your actual original file from HP Tuners. You can get an original file for the same car or one close to it (i.e. what I've attached) and then use that to change everything back to how it was stock. It accomplishes the same thing, but the way your original posted was worded it sounded like he told you HPT has a copy of the original tune, and they do not (unless for some reason you or he sent it to them)
I would use the 2012 mn6 file because there are some slight differences in tunes between auto and manual vehicles that may slightly affect drivability.

Two important things to note:
One is don't just license this file and try to flash it. You'll want to read your current tune and open the stock one as a compare file and just copy over all the differences.

The second thing is that any DTCs that were disabled won't be re enabled via the copy you'll have to manually compare and fix those.
Seadawg (04-14-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Good point on not just trying to flash one of these files.. I've seen several people on this forum try to do that, then complain that it eats up licenses.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

License it to the box too, so you getting the "license" doesn't work. It unlocks your vin on their box, so that isn't something that can be transferred.
Seadawg (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Yea, they emailed me yesterday, and said they had upgraded their HPTuners since 2014 and they lost my OEM file during their upgrade

My options sound like to pay them to modify my tuned file (that they created from my original tune), or buy a license and get my friend to install this 2012 tune above, IF I decide to remove headers and convert back to stock before I sell.

I like the car, so selling is not in the foreseeable future, but I'm a little peeved I did not get my original tune. My fault for not following up and poking them more sooner.......
Old 04-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No reason to be peaved, or anything. If you want to go back stock, you just take copy what your file out of the computer, do a compare to the stock one, and set the settings back to stock. Takes 5-10 minutes.
Seadawg (04-18-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Agreed. Not that big a deal.. there are thousands of cars that left the factory with the exact same tune. Plenty of those are available on the HPT repository and can be used to change everything back to stock on yours.

Also doubt you'd really need to change anything if getting rid of long tubes.
Seadawg (04-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To How can i get a copy of my original factory tune?

Quick Reply: How can i get a copy of my original factory tune?