C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is BEST NGK for Heads & Cam LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What is BEST NGK for Heads & Cam LS7?

I have a 2006 ZO6 with built LS7 Earl short block 12:1 compression with milled stage 3 heads and cam in the 230/240 duration range at .050" lift. Power is in the 550 - 570rwhp range.

When I bought the car it had NGK iridium TR7IX spark plugs and after adding high flow cats I had it retuned and my tuner said it slightly detonating at higher rpms.

We pulled the plugs and they re-gapped down to .032" and got the same result so we scrapped them for a new set of NGK BR7EF that came pre-gapped at .032". Runs good now but wondering if this plug is too cold at 2 heat ranges cooler.

Curious what everyone else is running with similar mods and what experience you have had with different plugs and gaps.

Last edited by wheeljo2; 05-04-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Are the first 2-3 threads rainbow colored?
OR are they dark with soot deposits on them?

I am making 608, and run the TR7ix. I had the TR8ix, but they would start to misfire unless I was repeatedly flogging the motor. TR6ix, I could not run the same timing, and the engine was sensitive to detonation/heat.

You still have a NGK 7 heat range plug, just not protruding tip. Seems like the car is happy, I would leave it be.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:22 AM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeljo2
I have a 2006 ZO6 with built LS7 Earl short block 12:1 compression with milled stage 3 heads and cam in the 230/240 duration range at .050" lift. Power is in the 550 - 570rwhp range.

When I bought the car it had NGK iridium TR7IX spark plugs and after adding high flow cats I had it retuned and my tuner said it slightly detonating at higher rpms.

We pulled the plugs and they re-gapped down to .032" and got the same result so we scrapped them for a new set of NGK BR7EF that came pre-gapped at .032". Runs good now but wondering if this plug is too cold at 2 heat ranges cooler.

Curious what everyone else is running with similar mods and what experience you have had with different plugs and gaps.

OK update pulled the NGK BR7EF plugs out gapped at .028" and replaced with NGK TR6s gapped at .039" and engine woke up big time much smoother and peppier feels like a different engine. Thanks to all for your responses.

Get notified of new replies

To What is BEST NGK for Heads & Cam LS7?

Quick Reply: What is BEST NGK for Heads & Cam LS7?