C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Disable and Re-enable

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:01 PM
cwylie
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default A/C Disable and Re-enable

I noticed my tune my a/c clutch is just set to run all the time if the a/c is on. I threw an a/c belt recently and I was curious if that might be the cause. Do you all have your set to disable based on tps or rpm?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:09 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cwylie
I noticed my tune my a/c clutch is just set to run all the time if the a/c is on. I threw an a/c belt recently and I was curious if that might be the cause. Do you all have your set to disable based on tps or rpm?
Not sure I understand your question. The a/c clutch is designed to cycle on and off based off of high and low side pressure, but can run constantly. The air conditioning will not work unless the clutch is engaged to spin the compressor.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 PM
cwylie
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So the current setup in HPtuners looks like never will disengage the a/c compressor regardless of throttle or RPM. Should it be? Is it bad to spin the compressor at fast?
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Doubt that caused you to throw a belt. More likely an old/stretched belt and or old tensioner. Yeah, that's factory settings on 2006+. Surprised me too, but is what it is.

Easy enough to change if you'd like.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by erick_e
Not sure I understand your question. The a/c clutch is designed to cycle on and off based off of high and low side pressure, but can run constantly. The air conditioning will not work unless the clutch is engaged to spin the compressor.
He's talking about @ WOT I assume. Earlier models turned off the AC while @ 100% throttle.

Or I could be totally wrong.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:52 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cwylie
So the current setup in HPtuners looks like never will disengage the a/c compressor regardless of throttle or RPM. Should it be? Is it bad to spin the compressor at fast?
Looks normal, as the BCM actually sends the signal to the ECM to cycle the a/c clutch on and off. The ECM will only allow it, if it meets those requirements otherwise it wouldn't allow the a/c clutch to engage.

Below is a description of how it works.

The A/C system is engaged by selecting any switch on the HVAC control module except the, A/C OFF switch. The A/C switch will illuminate, A/C OFF, when the A/C switch is selected. The HVAC control module sends a class 2 A/C request message to the body control module (BCM) for A/C compressor clutch operation. The BCM must communicate with the ECM in order for the A/C clutch to be engaged. The HVAC system uses a compact variable swash plate compressor. The following conditions must be met in order for the ECM to turn on the compressor clutch from the HVAC control module request:

• BCM will allow A/C operation if the following limits are within normal operating range

- A/C line pressure

- A/C refrigerant low temperature

- Ambient temperature

- Engine coolant temperature

- Battery voltage

• HVAC control module

- OAT temperature more than 1.5°C (35°F)

- Control module operating range 9 and 16 volts

• ECM

- Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is less than 128°C (262°F)

- Engine RPM is more than 0 RPM

- A/C pressure is between 2850 kPa (413 psi) and 204 kPa (30 psi).

Last edited by erick_e; 05-16-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Disable and Re-enable

Quick Reply: A/C Disable and Re-enable