C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air Filter caused Check Engine Light on my 2011 GS LS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 04:31 PM
dat280zz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air Filter caused Check Engine Light on my 2011 GS LS3

Seeing that the K&N air filter and stock GM air filter are both around $95 I put in the K&N. A few weeks and about 100 miles later the check engine light came on when I started it up. At the same time the idle was a little rough and fluctuated about 50-100 RPM. I Took it to a Chevy dealer and the fault code was P0171 and P0174, fuel trim lean left and right banks. For the next 3 days they were trying to find the problem. Vacuum leak test OK, fuel analysis OK it contained 11% alcohol, nitrogen and smoke test of intake system OK, cleaned fuel injectors, fuel pressure readings OK, reset oxygen sensors, fuel trims running 20-24 per bank (which I think is lean).

After I was reading up on the problem in the internet I saw where a K&N air filter could shed some oil and damage the mass airflow sensor so I told the dealer to replace it and had enough of their troubleshooting so if the sensor fixed or didn't fix it I was picking up the car. They replaced it, reset the codes but the light came back on.

After getting it home I was checking the internet for any more ideas and ran across this site where someone was reporting a similar problem, took out the K&N air filter and installed a GM filter and everything then worked OK.

I also removed the K&N air filter and reinstalled the slightly dirty old GM filter, reset the light by disconnecting the battery, started it up and no check engine light, drove it around and all seems OK now including the idle. I have no idea why an air filter can cause a problem like this.

This site has a lot of good info and I'm sure I'll be using it again, so I just wanted to give everyone here an FYI in case you run into a similar problem.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:43 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by dat280zz
Seeing that the K&N air filter and stock GM air filter are both around $95 I put in the K&N. A few weeks and about 100 miles later the check engine light came on when I started it up. At the same time the idle was a little rough and fluctuated about 50-100 RPM. I Took it to a Chevy dealer and the fault code was P0171 and P0174, fuel trim lean left and right banks. For the next 3 days they were trying to find the problem. Vacuum leak test OK, fuel analysis OK it contained 11% alcohol, nitrogen and smoke test of intake system OK, cleaned fuel injectors, fuel pressure readings OK, reset oxygen sensors, fuel trims running 20-24 per bank (which I think is lean).

After I was reading up on the problem in the internet I saw where a K&N air filter could shed some oil and damage the mass airflow sensor so I told the dealer to replace it and had enough of their troubleshooting so if the sensor fixed or didn't fix it I was picking up the car. They replaced it, reset the codes but the light came back on.

After getting it home I was checking the internet for any more ideas and ran across this site where someone was reporting a similar problem, took out the K&N air filter and installed a GM filter and everything then worked OK.

I also removed the K&N air filter and reinstalled the slightly dirty old GM filter, reset the light by disconnecting the battery, started it up and no check engine light, drove it around and all seems OK now including the idle. I have no idea why an air filter can cause a problem like this.

This site has a lot of good info and I'm sure I'll be using it again, so I just wanted to give everyone here an FYI in case you run into a similar problem.
Yep, you should have researched K&N filters here on the forum before you wasted your money on one. I had the same experience 4 years ago but I was able to narrow it down to the filter without taking it into a dealer. I sold it here on the forum for 50 bucks and posted a thread on it. Some smart a's laughed at me at that time, but than lot more posts came out like that after the fact. Apperantly there are some people here run K&N filters here without problems, but on a vette it is a problem looking for a solution. The stock filter is the best, it flows more air that you need and also keeps it clean the best.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

On modern cars you cannot change the airflow characteristics which will affect the MAF's ability to accurately measure the incoming air. Most will throw codes. It's easy to tune for it if you have HP tuners but thats a $600 investment. My advice would be if you don't plan on modding the car at all then stick with everything bone stock, including the paper air filter.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:33 AM
Nooch8it
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact problem on my 2011 grand sport. Gm dealer techs are idiots half the time and don't have the skills needed to find the issue. You need to check/watch your fuel pressure. Mine was slowly dropping causing the ecu to correct until it could no longer keep up. My issue was the fuel pump and fuel filter. My fuel pressure dropped from 58-60psi to 35-40psi at idle. Good luck
Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
On modern cars you cannot change the airflow characteristics which will affect the MAF's ability to accurately measure the incoming air. Most will throw codes. It's easy to tune for it if you have HP tuners but thats a $600 investment. My advice would be if you don't plan on modding the car at all then stick with everything bone stock, including the paper air filter.
There is a less expensive alternative than HP tuners, or any local dyno tune. You can buy a used DiabloSport Predator on eBay or craiglist pretty inexpensively. I got one local on craigslist for $40. Then have Lew at DiabLewTune.com do a custome tune. Much less expensive, and his tune fixed that exact problem for me with my K&N whole intake system combined with Vette-Air scoop and Beehive.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

This problem has been around since K&N released those filters. People swear by them. Like others have said, paper is the way to go. Wix is my favorite brand.

The issue you may have had was from too much oil. The #1 problem of using those filters. Its hard to oil them correctly w/out training. Even then, why take the risk for such little gain.

The air spreads oil off the filter and into the sensor. Have you inspected the MAF while its off the car? Hold it up to the light and see if oil is anywhere around there.

The K&N filter without oil is not going to cause these problems. I've seen people put panty hose over the intake at the drag races w/out problems as well as running without any filter and all. What that does is gives the engine more air, but at the risk of ingesting something that could damage the engine.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
There is a less expensive alternative than HP tuners, or any local dyno tune. You can buy a used DiabloSport Predator on eBay or craiglist pretty inexpensively. I got one local on craigslist for $40. Then have Lew at DiabLewTune.com do a custome tune. Much less expensive, and his tune fixed that exact problem for me with my K&N whole intake system combined with Vette-Air scoop and Beehive.
True this is also an option. I tune my own cars so I didn't think of this option.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N air Filter caused Check Engine Light on my 2011 GS LS3

Quick Reply: K&N air Filter caused Check Engine Light on my 2011 GS LS3