C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default GM Factory Navigation

I installed a factory Navigation from another corvette, when it was first installed it worked fine but after a few hours I went back to the car and its now saying "Anti-Theft lock Activated" . Can anyone help me with this please.

I spoke to the seller and he told me I have to get my vin # activated into the stereo, spoke to GM Service dept. and it seem as though the service man who answered the call has no experience about this problem and is telling me it don't always work.

I was told that all I need to do was pull out the code from the stereo and get the passcode from GM for that stereo but I have no experience with this stuff and also told I would need a tech 1 or 2 tool to get it done.

Anyone who can assist with their experience will be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

On my GM truck I had to send the nav unit off to someone that reset it. It basically "marries" to whatever VIN # vehicle it is initially installed it, but that can be reset. GM can do it as well, but most of the techs aren't experienced with it. At least on mine there was no "code" like is commonly found on older vehicles.

I'll try to find some more info on it for C6's. I'm assuming it's similar between these and similar year trucks but I should say I'm not 100% sure of that.

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-25-2016 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TRINIC5 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Can't the TEC II change the vin.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Can't the TEC II change the vin.
Yes it can , all the dealer has to do is remove the VIN from the radio

All GM radios are shipped with no VIN , the radio learns the first VIN of the car it is installed after the first start and then it is married to this car as part of the anti theft system

Your radio worked all the while until the first start and then it realized it was not installed in the car it was originally married to

If your dealer does not know this ...... call another dealer , it usually runs about $100 dollars which I feel is a lot for about 10 minutes work but you really have no choice
TRINIC5 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:53 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
I installed a factory Navigation from another corvette, when it was first installed it worked fine but after a few hours I went back to the car and its now saying "Anti-Theft lock Activated" . Can anyone help me with this please.
Too bad the person you bought it from didn't clear the VIN before he powered it down for the last time because it would have matched up with you new VIN.

Not sure if it's a possibility, but maybe the guy is a buddy of yours and you can put the NAV back in the original vehicle, clear the VIN, and you're good to go.

Might not be worth the $100 savings over a dealer tech doing it
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Too bad the person you bought it from didn't clear the VIN before he powered it down for the last time because it would have matched up with you new VIN.

Not sure if it's a possibility, but maybe the guy is a buddy of yours and you can put the NAV back in the original vehicle, clear the VIN, and you're good to go.

Might not be worth the $100 savings over a dealer tech doing it
Vin cannot be cleared unless u have a tech 11 , if u install it in the original car you still need to bring to dealer , have it cleared , then take it out of car ....much easier to just install it in your car and drive to dealer and have it cleared .

No matter how you look at it unless you know some one with a tech 11 you will be paying a dealer
Old 07-29-2016, 07:18 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Vin cannot be cleared unless u have a tech 11 , if u install it in the original car you still need to bring to dealer , have it cleared , then take it out of car ....much easier to just install it in your car and drive to dealer and have it cleared .

No matter how you look at it unless you know some one with a tech 11 you will be paying a dealer

I stand corrected. Remember seeing screen shots of the menu to reset/clear the VIN but those screen shots were from the tech 2, not the GPS. Glad you caught that before he might have pulled the unit out
Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Yep, take it to the dealer. I paid around $160 to have it done. Ridiculous cost for such easy work. My car was doing the same thing after a radio swap.
TRINIC5 (08-11-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Just incase your dealer still does not know how to clear the VIN using the tech 11 I found the instructions

This is how to use the tech 2 tool to put the nav unit into relearn mode.

Connect tech 2 to car and put the car into acc mode.

At the main screen, select diagnostics

At systems selection menu screen, select body

At the vin indent screen select
Appropriate model
Appropriate air conditioning
Nav radio

At the body screen, select nav radio

At the radio screen, select special functions

At the special functions screen, select vin relearn

At the vin relearn screen, the scan tool will display, do you want to clear the radio theft information?

To begin clearing, press the soft touch key on the top right of the scan tool. The Tech 2 will display clearing radio theft in progress.

Once done, press exit on the tech 2 and cycle the ignition.

It's done and the Nav unit will now marry to your car.

Dave
TRINIC5 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

After adding a nav unit in my GS, I took the car to a local shop that has a tech 2 with the reset instructions, they reset mine for 25.00 and happier than h_ _ _ to pay. So check around to find a shop and don't pay dealership prices.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Factory Navigation

Quick Reply: GM Factory Navigation