C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF and/or TB spacer questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:24 AM
ngtcrlr 007 c6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAF and/or TB spacer questions

Hope this is correct section to post question.
I was wondering if a Tb spacer is helpful for any performance gains? I have a K&N CAI and a V-max TB on my 07 LS2 along with long tube LG headers . Also...would changing the MAF sensor have any positive outcome? The motor has been dyno tuned.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have had T-Body spacers on the dyno with several different makes---Bottom line i have learned----The spacer spins the air at low RPM's below 2500 which will create some TQ increases maybe 5 or so However above 2500 the spinning air actually creates turbulence and will make no TQ or HP gains or even less without it--From a racing standpoint we would do everything we could to create a smooth even flow path of air into the T-Body The spacer then becomes counter productive at higher RPM's
As far as the MAF is concerned---The stock MAF on a C6 if plenty capable of handling up to 500-550 crank HP---So their is no advantage in installing a larger one unless you exceed this HP level or if you are boosted and you exceed the max level of your MAF table--This generally requires a modded engine with more than 8 lbs of boost
Remember that the MAF is only an airflow measuring device so generally on most cars there is NO advanatge in installing a larger one----
PS a larger than stock MAF will read wrong and send erroneous data concerning airflow to your ECM---Tuning sometimes can re calibrate a larger MAF to read correctly but it is a tedious process including hours of data logging and trial and error---For what maybe 3 RWHP ??? not worth the effort AND larger MAF's will cause driveability issues especially on an automatic car---As the auto trans uses the MAF signal so set line pressure on your trans based on engine load--and with a larger MAF the load value becomes wrong--Unless you have your own tuning sofware to get the MAF table back close to stock
Old 08-04-2016, 02:28 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Vararam

Vararam, has one that changes the angle of the throttle body to aim intake air flow better, for a perfor gain.. As they know others style's are not really worth it..
But im not sure what gain if any theirs have..
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Only with a intake heat shield and e3 spark plugs. Have to run them all
Old 08-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Mrfitter
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Only with a intake heat shield and e3 spark plugs. Have to run them all
Yup