C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuner: Detect Protocol Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default HPTuner: Detect Protocol Failure

I'm trying to read the PCM using HPTuners on my 2005 Corvette Z51 6 speed, and I keep getting a "Detect Protocol Failure" from the software.

I have the engine completely removed from the car. I have a brand new, fresh from the machine shop Forged 402 Stroker ready to drop in. I was hoping to read the tune from the PCM - email it to Tom Wong (My Tuner) have him make some modifications to the tune, then flash it back. This would allow me to drive around and do the initial break in safely. Before driving it down (132 miles) to his shop for the final Dyno Tune.

Can someone help me understand what I need in order to make the communication via OBD2 work when the engine is removed?

Tom said I need to ensure the fusible Link from the starter, is connected to the B+ wire from the starter, so I've done that. (Again, starter is removed from engine).

Are there any other connections that need to be hooked up (like loose ground wires) to ensure communication?

I'm going crazy here, and not finding much on the internet regarding hooking up HPTuners w/o the engine...

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-24-2016, 01:52 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jft69z
Do you have a regular scan tool or access to one to see if that talks to the car?
I don't have a regular scan tool. (I'm currently checking with my friends... good suggestion, thanks.)

-Dan
Old 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Do you have a regular scan tool or access to one to see if that talks to the car? Try HPTuners on a different car to see if it will read that. That may tell you if it's a HPT hardware issue. Is HPT updated to the latest version too?

Last edited by jft69z; 08-24-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:17 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jft69z
Do you have a regular scan tool or access to one to see if that talks to the car? Try HPTuners on a different car to see if it will read that. That may tell you if it's a HPT hardware issue. Is HPT updated to the latest version too?
It definitely works - my friend used it on his Silverado w/o any issues just last weekend.

This same friend also has a generic OBD2 scanner - so I'll try borrowing that as soon as I can. (Which likely won't be until this weekend. )

In the mean time - does anybody know if anything that's required in terms of grounds, or cable connections?

Thanks!
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To HPTuner: Detect Protocol Failure

Quick Reply: HPTuner: Detect Protocol Failure