C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved Drivability Tune

Old 09-06-2016, 05:45 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Default Improved Drivability Tune

So tomorrow afternoon, my essentially stock 2011 A6 GS goes in for a small tweak to the tune. The only modification done up to this point has been a Corsa Cat-back exhaust. It is probably the only mod I will do.

My main objective is to get rid of the mushy and unresponsive gas peddle and improve some shifts points. My tuner said this easy update will take care of that.

Have any of you just made minor improvements to the stock tune and what were your opinions on what you have been able to achieve? Is there anything specific I should ask my guy to manipulate?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The auto tranny upshifts, for gas mileage reasons, into the highest gear possible as soon as possible. For example, I believe it puts you in 6th gear at a steady 45 mph. For me that is too high. I liked it and similar situations, in a lower gear so you had some immediate acceleration to move around in traffic. If you agree, using your paddles in manual, determine what gears you want at various mph and have your tuner make those adjustments.
The following users liked this post:
jdk541 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Originally Posted by jim2092
The auto tranny upshifts, for gas mileage reasons, into the highest gear possible as soon as possible. For example, I believe it puts you in 6th gear at a steady 45 mph. For me that is too high. I liked it and similar situations, in a lower gear so you had some immediate acceleration to move around in traffic. If you agree, using your paddles in manual, determine what gears you want at various mph and have your tuner make those adjustments.
Jim,

That is exactly what my guy did and it is a noticeable improvement. The biggest change is how long my car will hold on to first gear now. In addition he changed the speed / RPM that it will down shift, allowing me to have better control and more power quicker.

He also adjusted the throttle response the best the factory equipment would allow. Still a slight lag but about half of what was there when she rolled off the assembly line.

All in all I am very pleased with the changes and it was $300 well spent. It instantly made the A6 GS more responsive and fun to drive and should hold me over for another few months.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:48 AM
(hmmm)
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
My main objective is to get rid of the mushy and unresponsive gas peddle and improve some shifts points.
My 2008 A6 used to drive as yours does. Then I installed a Vitesse throttle controller. What an amazing difference! It now has the proper throttle response (it's adjustable with a push of a button) and the transmission shifts where I feel that it should. It turned my great car into an awesome car.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '22-'23

(hmmm) - - - Thank you for that feedback. I was strongly considering getting the Vitesse based on all the reviews, but I have the patience of a 2-year old and my tuner could get me worked in the next day. He made the changes that made me happy (for now) but I will probably put one of those Throttle Controllers on when I feel I need a little more.

I'm ultimately going to get myself back into a Z06, I just need to make this GS a little more responsive until I do.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:47 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I am really interested in whether the function of the Vitesse can be achieved through a tune. I know Diablosport has a parameter they call "Throttle Booster" which makes similar claims to what the Vitesse is supposed to do, but I have never heard of anyone directly comparing the two. I know that the Vitesse is adjustable on the fly which would be nice, but if I can achieve nearly the same effect by dialing up the throttle booster, then the Vitesse would be a waste of money.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Nic D tune? If not schedule a tune with him and you will get sorted out.

I really don't understand a device that pushes the pedal for you. If you want 80% throttle, give it 80% throttle. Having a device that gives you 80% when you input 20% is nothing more than mind games.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:14 AM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
I really don't understand a device that pushes the pedal for you. If you want 80% throttle, give it 80% throttle. Having a device that gives you 80% when you input 20% is nothing more than mind games.
That's the problem, giving the C6 80% throttle does not give you 80% throttle. The ratio of pedal to throttle body action is purposefully non-linear to improve fuel economy, it's a gimmick no different from the 1-4 CAGS. It causes the throttle response to be very different from what would be expected with a mechanical throttle body; for an enthusiast who knows how to modulate the throttle properly, it is bothersome to have the computer attempt to bottle up any spirited use of the throttle in the bottom quarter of the pedal's throw.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I know how it works, still doesn't change that it can be driven around and putting a device that applies more throttle for you is nothing more than mental tricks.

Enjoy it if that is what you want, but I can deal with applying the correct amount of pedal with my foot, even if it is non-linear compared to a cable setup.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:50 AM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

You certainly can compensate for the shortcomings of the factory adjustment without much additional effort every time you move the pedal, some people would just like to have the option to adjust it to their personal taste. It's like saying memory seats are a mind game because you can just put the seat wherever you like every time you get in the car. You're not wrong, but your dismissal might miss the point.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '22-'23

I can assure you the adjustment made by my tuner made a difference. From the factory there is a noticeable lag when you make a rapid demand for power.

For example:
A buddy of mine and I were out doing some spirited driving, when I needed the old girl to get moving, I mashed the pedal to the floor. There was a good second and a half delay before the the engine responded to what I was asking for. That was the final straw. When I couldn't catch his CTS because he got a couple second jump on me. I was on the phone to my tuner immediately.

After the adjustments were made that delay is about 50% gone. There is still a slight delay when my right foot is asking for power but it is a noticeable improvement.

OK. I have got a rematch with a Cadillac that I have to take care of. Bye!

Last edited by jdk541; 09-16-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Improved Drivability Tune

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improved Drivability Tune