C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Bung Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:25 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Wideband Bung Challenge

I have my car on the lift, planning on a loc for the wideband bung. I'm hitting a wall. Before I start, I DO NOT want to change exhaust configuration to full headers right now. Too much going on.

So, I'm looking for any ideas to get an AFR reading given what I am working with. I was along the lines of a Dashlogic then fed by a WB into the 0-5v PID. Regardless, even with a gauge I still need to get into the exhaust ahead of the cat. That is the problem.

So, here's my setup. I have Magnalfow short tube headers on right now. They bolt up to the stock cats. Again, I need to leave all this in place right now...maybe an add LTHs WAY down the list past the FI install and tune.

I cannot find a place to locate the bung. There is clearance where the wideband could live, but it's the bung location itself. Here are three pics that might make it clearer: Magnaflow pipes; stock C6 Cat; a pic of my setup, albeit no way to get a good photo. The header in the foreground is the driver's side.

My dilemma, there is no pipe before the header flange and to the collector; likewise, there is no pipe past the flange and before the Cat. Pass side looks the same. By the way - If I were able to get the bung mounted along the same ring as the O2 sensor on the header, will I be too close to the heat from exhaust ports?

So....any ideas?

Any creative workarounds?

How bad would it be to go after the cat? I'm sure I can guess my own answer, but is there a "correction" factor I could use?

Thanks

Last edited by BlindSpot; 09-10-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:09 PM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

Welded into the stock cat.. Its been a while, but I believe the cat is double walled in this spot. May not be 100% best position, but it did work for me.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That's where I added mine too when I had LS2 style cats. Worked perfectly fine.

I might still have those cats actually.. you can have them if you'll pay shipping if you want them, if I still do have them

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-10-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:25 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

OK that's the answer. I look at at it and wondered if I could get the bung there. I will do that, problem solved. Recmech you obviously drilled through both walls, but I like this pos too BC it looks to be a better distance from the heads, where I read the extra heat wouldn't be good longterm for the sensor. THANKS guys!

Schpenxel - Thanks for the offer. I'd do it but for the ship. I can easily do this . The lift is in my garage so, 20 mins to get the cat out. Just need to get the bung...and the wideband and dashlogic. Glad to back on track again!
Old 09-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
OK that's the answer. I look at at it and wondered if I could get the bung there. I will do that, problem solved. Recmech you obviously drilled through both walls, but I like this pos too BC it looks to be a better distance from the heads, where I read the extra heat wouldn't be good longterm for the sensor. THANKS guys!

Schpenxel - Thanks for the offer. I'd do it but for the ship. I can easily do this . The lift is in my garage so, 20 mins to get the cat out. Just need to get the bung...and the wideband and dashlogic. Glad to back on track again!
When I added a WB bung to my LS3 exhaust, I did it at the same spot. However, I used a 45 degree bung which made for a preferred angle on the sensor.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:03 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
When I added a WB bung to my LS3 exhaust, I did it at the same spot. However, I used a 45 degree bung which made for a preferred angle on the sensor.

Thanks Mike. 45 which way? Into the oncoming exhaust stream; or, away from the stream?

I Should be clearer - the sensor end...pointing into or away from

Last edited by BlindSpot; 09-11-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:35 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am guessing that he is referring to the fact that the sensor end should be tilted somewhat downward when installed to eliminate moisture from settling in it.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jim2092
I am guessing that he is referring to the fact that the sensor end should be tilted somewhat downward when installed to eliminate moisture from settling in it.
Makes sense. I am going with the place the guys showed above. Into the case of the Cat. The actual placement when assembled would put the sensor at about a 9 o'clock position as the entry point of the assembly is on an angle but almost vertical.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim2092
That is correct! Moisture will damage the sensor.

As per PLX instructions "The sensor should be mounted in the top side of the exhaust pipe at a 15* angle away from the flow of the exhaust." Look up PLXdevices.com and the user guide for an illustration.

Not sure what your wideband manufacturer recommends?

The 45* bung might help orient the sensor closer to 15* angle vs using a flat bung. I bought both bungs and the 45* angled bung worked best for me.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-13-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:51 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

If I use the above loc in the stock cat, that loc is not at a horizontal run. Instead, the cat is located on an angular run, almost vertical.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

If I use the above loc in the stock cat, that loc is not at a horizontal run. Instead, the cat is located on an angular run, almost vertical.
Should be good to go! I would just make sure you have clearance to remove the sensor with the cat installed.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-14-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:01 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Should be good to go! I would just make sure you have clearance to remove the sensor with the cat installed.
Good suggestion. I am working it backwards. I am waiting to receive the bung. The cat is still in place. When I get the bung I will screw in an old sensor then place it where there is clearance, outline it with a sharpie, then remove the cat and fabricate.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Good suggestion. I am working it backwards. I am waiting to receive the bung. The cat is still in place. When I get the bung I will screw in an old sensor then place it where there is clearance, outline it with a sharpie, then remove the cat and fabricate.
Perfect!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM
levan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my car on the lift, planning on a loc for the wideband bung. I'm hitting a wall. Before I start, I DO NOT want to change exhaust configuration to full headers right now. Too much going on.

So, I'm looking for any ideas to get an AFR reading given what I am working with. I was along the lines of a Dashlogic then fed by a WB into the 0-5v PID. Regardless, even with a gauge I still need to get into the exhaust ahead of the cat. That is the problem.

So, here's my setup. I have Magnalfow short tube headers on right now. They bolt up to the stock cats. Again, I need to leave all this in place right now...maybe an add LTHs WAY down the list past the FI install and tune.

I cannot find a place to locate the bung. There is clearance where the wideband could live, but it's the bung location itself. Here are three pics that might make it clearer: Magnaflow pipes; stock C6 Cat; a pic of my setup, albeit no way to get a good photo. The header in the foreground is the driver's side.

My dilemma, there is no pipe before the header flange and to the collector; likewise, there is no pipe past the flange and before the Cat. Pass side looks the same. By the way - If I were able to get the bung mounted along the same ring as the O2 sensor on the header, will I be too close to the heat from exhaust ports?

So....any ideas?

Any creative workarounds?

How bad would it be to go after the cat? I'm sure I can guess my own answer, but is there a "correction" factor I could use?

Thanks
yes thanks to you
Old 08-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I had this dilemma. Tuned the car using PLX with narrow-band simulation in the pre cat bung. Decided that for reliability I don't want to use the sim. There was no place to put a bung. Did some research and finally decided to use the after cat location.

Yes I know "if will screw up the reading"... Actually no it don't, maybe 0.1 and the cats do nothing at WOT. Go ahead and use that bung.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There are spots to put a bung. I’ve done it on ls2 style, ls9 style and long tubes.

But, you’re probably right regarding it not making a big difference. I would not use the nbo2 sim either.

Get notified of new replies

To Wideband Bung Challenge

Quick Reply: Wideband Bung Challenge