C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 fans stuck "on"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default D3 fans stuck "on"

Posted in the tech section but maybe here is better.
06 Z06 with eforce. After a heck ride home in heavy snow the other day and kamakaze run up to my driveway with lots of trac control stepping in, my fans just stayed on after I shut down engine. Noticing the temp was under 180 degrees, I felt radiator and that was cool too.

I have to think this is related since it happened at the same time.

I pulled fuses, fans went off, disconnected battery, reconnected, replaced fuses and the dual fans still ran. Seems like full speed but cant tell exactly.

Then next morning went out in 28 degree F weather, installed fuses and the fans still come on even without engine being started at all.

Can the ECM command the fans to run full time if malfunctioning? Even with engine off?

Ill see if these fans use relays but dont think so. The main power is drawn from separate wires attached to battery post under hood. (Z06 battery in trunk) Thats where the dual 30 amp inline fuses are.

If anyone has had similar experience or any suggestion Im open to hear it.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:31 PM
speedz06
Drifting

OK I disconnected the factory harness and these fans still stuck on. The pwm controller is the culprit.
Ill see what d3 does or try to source a more heavy duty model.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by speedz06
OK I disconnected the factory harness and these fans still stuck on. The pwm controller is the culprit.
Ill see what d3 does or try to source a more heavy duty model.
Sucks to read that considering how proud D3 seems to be of those fans price wise!
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Replace relay
Old 12-13-2016, 06:41 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Sub'd. I have D3PE fan kit on order.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by KM177122
Sub'd. I have D3PE fan kit on order.
These are very good fans. Arctic is right except that it isnt actually a simple relay. It is a pwm controller which is still in essence a relay....just not as easy to get.
Anyway, D3 hooked me up and alls good. They are sending me another one.
I began a writeup as to why this setup is so good but it didnt save so ill get to that another time.

Im betting problem is going to be solved and it seems no one else has had this issue. There is very little to go wrong with these and the design is an improvement over oem in a few ways.

Thanks gentlemen
Old 12-14-2016, 08:36 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

These are very good fans. Arctic is right except that it isnt actually a simple relay. It is a pwm controller which is still in essence a relay....just not as easy to get.
Anyway, D3 hooked me up and alls good. They are sending me another one.
I began a writeup as to why this setup is so good but it didnt save so ill get to that another time.

Im betting problem is going to be solved and it seems no one else has had this issue. There is very little to go wrong with these and the design is an improvement over oem in a few ways.

Thanks gentlemen
Glad to hear D3 stands behind their work.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Let us know if replacing that works and clears up your issue ..
Old 12-17-2016, 04:31 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Let us know if replacing that works and clears up your issue ..
Yes will do...20 degrees out there but Im not waiting any longer! Im the only guy on the street with no garage but the only guy who is into mechanics.

What I wanted to say about the D3 fans is that they have made the design much better. The power from fans comes from nice fat low gauge wires with heavy duty dual 60 amp inline fuses. Already cut to length with terminals to be routed to the battery post on the (If you already have several things on the block then get a marine grade bus bar ahead of time you do not want to have the setup like I am attaching image to it just doesnt seem to work as well) under hood fuse block. Then another wire to ground right by the terminal near the lift support.
Then, just plug into the factory harness.....
What else is do I think is better? Well, you know how the factory harness is a bit wimpy and can even get hot enough to melt running the lower draw OEM fan? This issue of fan plug overheating and subsequent voltage drop is eliminated by installing the D3 fans since the OEM plug is basically now just sending signal to a PWM unit (or relay for old school folks). The fans still operate like oem, commanded by the ECU. The high load is no longer on the OEM connector.
Attached Images   

Last edited by speedz06; 12-23-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:00 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Ok all fixed just swapped out the pwm box and all back to "normal"
Thanks again to the guys at D3 for swapping out the part which I had withi 2 days.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Awesome!
Old 02-08-2017, 08:50 PM
maiettar1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes will do...20 degrees out there but Im not waiting any longer! Im the only guy on the street with no garage but the only guy who is into mechanics.

What I wanted to say about the D3 fans is that they have made the design much better. The power from fans comes from nice fat low gauge wires with heavy duty dual 60 amp inline fuses. Already cut to length with terminals to be routed to the battery post on the (If you already have several things on the block then get a marine grade bus bar ahead of time you do not want to have the setup like I am attaching image to it just doesnt seem to work as well) under hood fuse block. Then another wire to ground right by the terminal near the lift support.
Then, just plug into the factory harness.....
What else is do I think is better? Well, you know how the factory harness is a bit wimpy and can even get hot enough to melt running the lower draw OEM fan? This issue of fan plug overheating and subsequent voltage drop is eliminated by installing the D3 fans since the OEM plug is basically now just sending signal to a PWM unit (or relay for old school folks). The fans still operate like oem, commanded by the ECU. The high load is no longer on the OEM connector.
hows the kit working, i know its freezing out, but i just bought the fan kit myself and having it installed....not so "plug and play" but I'm hoping it was a good choice instead of scooping the dewitts radiator and brushless fan kit.

Get notified of new replies

To D3 fans stuck "on"

Quick Reply: D3 fans stuck "on"