C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Debacle---Check engine lights for Christmas!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Daviddear30
I replaced all my spark plugs with 8 new ac delco plugs and all seems back to normal :-)

No​​​​w to log some miles so I can get my custom tune done
Awesome news...... you will love the headers ....

Dave
Old 12-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I replaced all my spark plugs with 8 new ac delco plugs and all seems back to normal :-)

No​​​​w to log some miles so I can get my custom tune done
JUST UNF___KING BELIEVEABLE, how could any mechanic do that , and of course he will deny, deny, deny !!!!
Well, lesson learned huh, I'm just glad for you and it gives me a breath of believability that I didn't make a bad choice about doing headers
NSF
Old 12-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

It is running better but it using a lot more gas. Maybe that is due to not being tuned properly yet??

I hope the tune will get everything running perfectly again
Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM
alrosenzweig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

......Good Luck bud.....that is the worst set of plugs I have ever seen in my life and I'm 61!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

I also found 1 more problem on the same side of the headers they had to re-install when they did the clutch line and swapped in the 2 bad plugs. The front 02 sensor on that side. After plugs I was still getting a lean code. I checked every thing! I pulled out the front 02 sensor on the driver side. If I shook it it rattled. Something broken on the inside I replaced that $70 part as well. No more codes for misfires or lean bank 1
Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I also found 1 more problem on the same side of the headers they had to re-install when they did the clutch line and swapped in the 2 bad plugs. The front 02 sensor on that side. After plugs I was still getting a lean code. I checked every thing! I pulled out the front 02 sensor on the driver side. If I shook it it rattled. Something broken on the inside I replaced that $70 part as well. No more codes for misfires or lean bank 1
wow .....again I don't know how much you paid but I would at least asked for the money for the plugs and the 02 sensor

Dave
Old 01-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

WOW, what can one say How did you find this place anyways ??
I may screw up and break something or not do it correctly but I at least wont try to screw myself and cover it up, a good thing for doing it your self.
Nsf
Old 01-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

looking at those pics.Ill just shake my head.lessons learned. do it yourself.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

I regret not doing it myself. Some people don't have the time or tools for some of this work. I do have Jack's and stands and the know how. I run a business and my time was more valuable (I thought)

I wish I had done it at home now . this guy came highly recommended. He has had his shop for a long time. He does a lot of LS engine builds etc. I realize everyone has a bad experience from time to time. He said he had his new guy working on my car. Thought it was straight forward enough for him to finish it up. He was wrong (if that's the actual truth)
Old 01-02-2017, 11:04 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

I regret not doing it myself. Some people don't have the time or tools for some of this work. I do have Jack's and stands and the know how. I run a business and my time was more valuable (I thought)

I wish I had done it at home now . this guy came highly recommended. He has had his shop for a long time. He does a lot of LS engine builds etc. I realize everyone has a bad experience from time to time. He said he had his new guy working on my car. Thought it was straight forward enough for him to finish it up. He was wrong (if that's the actual truth)
The higher road is the better road David
What you have convinced me of is to try this myself (with my buddies help and LIFT of course), hopefully it goes well.
NSF
The following users liked this post:
Daviddear30 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 AM
aanold
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Man do I love happy endings!!

just read this from start to finish since I have a set a brand new American Racing Headers sitting on the garage floor. I'm a fan of doing your own work.

No one cares more about your car than you do.
Daviddear30 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
The higher road is the better road David
What you have convinced me of is to try this myself (with my buddies help and LIFT of course), hopefully it goes well.
NSF
their simple to do at home on jack stands or a lift and being that its your car if you happen to hurt something you know it and will correct the issue.a first year apprentice should be able to do this with his eyes closed
Not So Fast (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
But the LEAN BANK codes have nothing to do with it , especially if the car is running like " Crap" as he states

Dave
I never said anything about lean bank codes.sensor 2 codes are all to do with no sensor 2's being absent from system
Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by irok
I never said anything about lean bank codes.sensor 2 codes are all to do with no sensor 2's being absent from system

The way it was worded someone who does not know could have taken it as the car is running bad because it does not have rear 02 sensors that are operating properly

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 01-03-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Headers

This install is in the near future for me as well. I used to enjoy doing all my own work and one reason I kept my c3 for so long, due to ease of repairs. I am not to crazy about crawling under my car now on jack stands. I did headers on my c3 with custom x thru to magnaflows. I agree that doing the work oneself is rewarding and knowing that it is done right, however at probably twice the time it would take a more knowledgable repair person. I agree with the OP that sometimes it is a time constraint and just want to have it done.

Sorry you had a bad experience but glad that you got it worked out. Also appreciate those offering their advice as I am deciding between dyno tune or Diablew tune for my ls3 when my headers arrive. I like the idea of having a device that can restore the original tune at some point in the future.
Daviddear30 (01-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Header Debacle---Check engine lights for Christmas!!