C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable knock retard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 PM
DanC8
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Acceptable knock retard?

Car is LS3 A6 with A&A Ti base kit, MAF tuned, stock headers, no meth....yet.
I just got HP Tuners recently and did some data logs. The logs show some knock retard activities that made me little worry. Are they in the acceptable range or do I need to some adjustments to the tune? It is a conservative tune as you can see the timing is kind of low.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
02162017 log.hpl (133.1 KB, 109 views)
02192017 log2.hpl (197.4 KB, 63 views)
02192017 log3.hpl (212.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

How much boost? You aren't logging MAP so we can't see that part

I'd be surprised if it's real knock and I don't see anything that I'd call "severe", but it's more than I'd want to see honestly. I've seen some that are pulling 12*+ and as soon as it starts to fall off it comes right back.. really bad compared to this.

I would try reducing timing in the knock areas a few degrees and see what happens. If it goes away then it was real, if not, then probably not. Timing is already low so I have a feeling it's not real

Fuel trims are pretty high right before the pulls.. and without a wideband it's impossible to know what the AFR actually is.

Just throw some meth on it

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-20-2017 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DanC8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 PM
DanC8
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
How much boost? You aren't logging MAP so we can't see that part

I'd be surprised if it's real knock and I don't see anything that I'd call "severe", but it's more than I'd want to see honestly. I've seen some that are pulling 12*+ and as soon as it starts to fall off it comes right back.. really bad compared to this.

I would try reducing timing in the knock areas a few degrees and see what happens. If it goes away then it was real, if not, then probably not. Timing is already low so I have a feeling it's not real

Fuel trims are pretty high right before the pulls.. and without a wideband it's impossible to know what the AFR actually is.

Just throw some meth on it
4" pulley so boost is roughly 6-7 psi. I just got the ZR1 3 bar MAP sensor, will install it soon so I can log boost.
I gave my buddy a ride sometime and he said that he heard knocks. Now the logs kind of confirm it. It looks very real to me since it happened between 5200-5700 RPM where the max torque curve but my timing is very conservative compare to others on here
I will play with timing a bit and see. I am getting the wide band real soon to incorporate into the log and see.
And yes meth is coming in a month or 2 . It will get hot here very soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Acceptable knock retard?

Quick Reply: Acceptable knock retard?