C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque spec on oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:16 PM
AceVentura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque spec on oil drain plug

Anyone know the torque number on the oil pan drain plug?

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, where can I get a spring loaded air dam like Mr. Kahane?! Mine drags the driveway on exiting.

Jay
Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 PM
9T4Z
Racer

Honestly never "torqued" an oil drain pan gasket in my life... and I've done hundreds of oil changes. Just tighten it up... imo not a big deal... anyone ?? Using a standard wrench or 3/8th drive giver a little twist and she'll be allright.

Gary
Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 AM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AceVentura
Anyone know the torque number on the oil pan drain plug?

Thanks in advance! Jay
18 lb.ft.

Too lose and it leaks. Too tight and you strip the threads. Actually, I'm like 9T4Z, I have never torqued one in my life. I just go by "fully driven, seated and not stripped". It works for me.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:19 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
18 lb.ft.

Too lose and it leaks. Too tight and you strip the threads. Actually, I'm like 9T4Z, I have never torqued one in my life. I just go by "fully driven, seated and not stripped". It works for me.
Use a standard closed-end wrench and tighten the drain plug substantially, but NOT with all your strength; i.e. DON't use both hands and brace your feet against something. A standard wrench will be about 7"-8" long...you'd have to be Arnold to strip the threads. 18 ft-lbs sounds about right; that would require about 30 lbs of force on the end of an 8" wrench. Overtightening your drain plug is more likely to become a problem when you can't remove it for the next oil change.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 AM
lost
Drifting

The first time I changed my oil, had to use a breaker bar to loosen it.Since I bought the car from a forum sponsor and it had a fresh oil change,I think they used an impact on it.I did not blame the mothers who grabbed their kiddies and exited my general vicinity as I used language that would have made a sailor blush....I mean its enough of a job to get it up in the air then leveled out only to find a craftsman 6 pt wrench and a rubber mallet wouldn't budge it. Luckily it wasn't stripped.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Isn't the oil drain plus 13mm in size?

Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Isn't the oil drain plus 13mm in size?

Originally Posted by LS WON
Yes. The hex head on the drain PLUG is 13 mm
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Fritzmarine
Heel & Toe

Default Oil Pan plug torque spec

I am doing my first oil change at 1,000 (10 months since I picked up my 'Vette from the dealer); my Craftsman digital torque meter read 26.3 ft. lbs. to remove the plug. I recall my C5 had an aluminum oil pan and the torque spec was very specific. My C6 looks like it also has an aluminum oil pan; it may matter as my C4 had a 350 with a steel oil pan.

Does anyone have the $138.00 Helm's factory manual to check up on the torque specification on the oil pan plug? Also the C5 had to be level when changing the oil; you could not drive up on a ramp as the pan would not drain properly in the nose high position. Is that the same on the C6?

Thanks

Old 08-06-2005, 11:10 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T4Z
Honestly never "torqued" an oil drain pan gasket in my life... and I've done hundreds of oil changes. Just tighten it up... imo not a big deal... anyone ?? Using a standard wrench or 3/8th drive giver a little twist and she'll be allright.

Gary

Old 08-06-2005, 02:45 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Helm manual says 18lb-ft for the drain plug and 22lb-ft for the filter. Since I lowered mine I have to drive the rear on ramps in order to get a jack under the front. I guess you've got lower profile ramps than me.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lost
The first time I changed my oil, had to use a breaker bar to loosen it.Since I bought the car from a forum sponsor and it had a fresh oil change,I think they used an impact on it.I did not blame the mothers who grabbed their kiddies and exited my general vicinity as I used language that would have made a sailor blush....I mean its enough of a job to get it up in the air then leveled out only to find a craftsman 6 pt wrench and a rubber mallet wouldn't budge it. Luckily it wasn't stripped.
The Corvette Is A Manly Car For Manly Men
Old 08-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Fritzmarine
Heel & Toe

Ramps - My ramps are home made. They are about 22 years old and made out of 2x10 lumber. They step up in incruments of about 24 inches and weight a ton. I made them when I bought a new 1983 Trans Am. My metal ramps would not work as the nose of the Trans Am was too long.

I know it's Mickey Mouse (showing my age??) but it works. I still like to change my own oil. Does anyone still fill up the oil filter with oil before installing it on the car to avoid zero oil peressure on start-up after an oil change?

Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzmarine
Ramps - My ramps are home made. They are about 22 years old and made out of 2x10 lumber. They step up in incruments of about 24 inches and weight a ton. I made them when I bought a new 1983 Trans Am. My metal ramps would not work as the nose of the Trans Am was too long.

I know it's Mickey Mouse (showing my age??) but it works. I still like to change my own oil. Does anyone still fill up the oil filter with oil before installing it on the car to avoid zero oil peressure on start-up after an oil change?

I ALWAYS fill the oil fiter...... Manditory in my opinion...On some vehicles that's not possible though because the filter is horizontal.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 9T4Z

Gary
I agree...

Get notified of new replies

To Torque spec on oil drain plug

Quick Reply: Torque spec on oil drain plug