C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying spare ECU to use for tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:15 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Buying spare ECU to use for tune?

I'm considering buying a spare ecu to use for a tuner to put a program on it. If I get the spare ecu flashed with a tune can I just install the ecu in my C6 or is there anything else that needs to be done before driving?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 PM
xstang
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new one from Fred Beans and shipped it to Ron@Proautotech for a tune. I you buy a new ECU, usually it has to be recalibrated by GM for the basic timing ect. You will also designate the vin so they can flash it for auto or manual ext. Once you install it , you then have to have the dealer do a crankshaft variation relearn. (just a 5 minute process with the OBD) This costs $60-100.00- dealer..

If you're interested, I will sell you my Stock ECU for $225 including shipping If you have a manual, you won't have to have it recalibrated. However, you will have to have the crankshaft variation relearn done once you intstall the ECU. The car will drive fine though but will just have a check engine light until the relerarn process has been done... I have the new tuned ECU in the car, so I no longer need the stocker...

Email me at rick.schildge@aa.com if your interested.. or pm me...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:16 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info xstang. I'm undecided right now. I'll let you know if I'm interested. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:22 PM
xstang
Drifting

Originally Posted by rfopt
Thanks for the info xstang. I'm undecided right now. I'll let you know if I'm interested. Thanks.
I understand... Let me know if I can help with anything else...
Old 09-07-2005, 09:03 AM
OttoNP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd also have to have theft learn performed, if you just install that ECM (the used one) in your car it will not start...
Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 AM
xstang
Drifting

Originally Posted by OttoNP
You'd also have to have theft learn performed, if you just install that ECM (the used one) in your car it will not start...
My car started just fine with the new ECU......
Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
OttoNP
Racer

Right, it will start with a new ECM. The replacement parts are shipped ready to be installed (they may need programming). On the first ignition cycle, these "new" ECMs learn the password that is passed to it from the keyless entry module. This password is unique. Therefore, your stock ECM will only work in your car and if any of us install it, it will not work because the password will be different. We can perform the theft learn and then it will work, but the VIN stored in it will be different. I don't know how the aftermarket modified ECM handles this, but that is how the stock ECMs work.

So, if you order a new ECM from the dealer, you only have to install it (maybe program it) and then learn crank variation.

If you install a used stock ECM from junk yard, someone else, you have to learn theft (keyless module password), and crank variation at a min. Really you should do a full reprogram of the module so that the VIN number saved in it is correct and matches your car. I'm not sure about what happens on corvette when it is different, but on other GM car lines the crank variation will be lost intermittantly if the VIN numbers do not match.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 AM
xstang
Drifting

My car started right up and the car just had a check engine light. The vin didn't match and that is the reason for the crankshaft variation relearn. So if what you are saying is true, why did my car start with a different VIN programmed in the ECU?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:02 AM
OttoNP
Racer

I'm not sure what you mean, where is the source of the ECM you are talking about? I think your saying that it was new, which is exactly what I was saying. You only have a problem if you try to use a used one from another vehicle, like if someone tried to use yours.

If I'm remember hearing you right it sounds like you bought a new ECM at the dealership and shipped it to Ron@Proautotech for a tune. Then, when you received it you installed it and it worked, which it should since it was new. Your old one will also work in your car. Plus, I don't know what in the world Ron did to it. The theft protection is a password, not your VIN number. The VIN number not matching will cause the check engine light for the crankshaft variation, you can perform it and it will fix it, even without the VIN matching for awhile, though I don't know if it will stay learned. On other GM cars I've played with it has come back on unpredictably.

As far as I know the there are three things you can change with a ECM

Reprogram it - this changes VIN and just about everything
Theft Learn - this learns the password from the key module
Crank Learn - this learns the crank shaft sensor variation

Get notified of new replies

To Buying spare ECU to use for tune?

Quick Reply: Buying spare ECU to use for tune?