C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Fuel Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 PM
SIRCAPTN21
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Fuel Gauges

I filled my 2005 C6 with fuel last week but didn't check accuracy of HUD fuel gage and regular fuel gage at that time. After a week of not driving the car, I finally got a chance to drive the C6 and observed the HUD fuel gauge showing 1/2 tank of fuel and the regular fuel gauge at the full mark. Not sure why this happened but suspect one of two fuel tank sending units being inoperable. Has anyone had this problem with the 2005 C6. Any help in understanding the C6 fuel system and possible cause of inaccuracy in fuel gauges would be appreciated. Sounds like I'm going to have to take it to the dealership.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:08 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

If it is like the c5, it will take the fuel level reading for the drivers and passengers side, and average them. Somehow the reading in the hud's fuel gauge is probably getting an "empty" for one of the sides, but the cluster gauge is getting proper readings from both sides. In C5 years, it stranded some people when it wasn't balancing the fuel level between the two tanks; it would run out of gas on one side, and you'd be stuck even though you have half a tank of gas left.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Originally Posted by SIRCAPTN21
I filled my 2005 C6 with fuel last week but didn't check accuracy of HUD fuel gage and regular fuel gage at that time. After a week of not driving the car, I finally got a chance to drive the C6 and observed the HUD fuel gauge showing 1/2 tank of fuel and the regular fuel gauge at the full mark. Not sure why this happened but suspect one of two fuel tank sending units being inoperable. Has anyone had this problem with the 2005 C6. Any help in understanding the C6 fuel system and possible cause of inaccuracy in fuel gauges would be appreciated. Sounds like I'm going to have to take it to the dealership.
Fuel gage in the hud? There isn't a fuel gage in my 05 hud. Double check the manual - there isn't mention of one.

Are you sure in the hud you're not looking at one of the following: coolant temp., trans. oil temp., eng. oil temp., eng. oil pressure?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Al Engel
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 95 Posts

No fuel gage on the HUD. You looking at something other than Fuel status on the windshield. RTFM
Old 10-26-2005, 09:46 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SIRCAPTN21
No need for trip to dealer...straight from the Owners Manual, page 3-19:

If your vehicle is equipped with the Head-Up Display (HUD), you can see some of the driver information that appears on your instrument panel cluster.

The information may be displayed in English or metric units and appears as an image focused out toward
the front of your vehicle. The HUD consists of the following information:
• Speedometer
• Turn Signal Indicators
• High-Beam Indicator Symbol
• Tachometer
• Oil and Temperature Gages
• Shift Light (Performance SHIFT Light) - This light is used for performance driving to indicate that the vehicle’s best performance level has been reached to shift the transmission into the next higher gear. The SHIFT light will display at an engine speed of about 6,250 rpm, just prior to reaching the engine fuel cut-off mode.
• Check Gages Warning
• Engine Coolant Temperature Gage
• Transmission Oil Temperature Gage
• Engine Oil Temperature Gage
• Engine Oil Pressure Gage
• G-Force Gage
• Audio Functions, Street Mode Only
• Navigation, Only with Navigation Radio, Street Mode Only
• Check Gages Warning
Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I wish that it had a fuel gauge like the C5 had though!
Bill
Old 10-26-2005, 12:29 PM
WestsideVette
1st Gear

Default Fuel sender problem

i had a similar problem, except the dash gauge read correctly, then zero. the sender was the problem. they had to drop the entire rear end and spent about a week replacing the units.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You're not seeing the fuel gage in the HUD in a 2005 C6. Page 3-20 of the owner's manual tells you what's available in each of the 3 modes - Street Mode, Track Modes 1 & 2.

• Street Mode — No tachometer, circular tachometer
and linear tachometer.
• Track Modes 1 and 2 — No minor gage, coolant
temperature, transmission oil temperature, engine
oil temperature and engine oil pressure.
If your vehicle is equipped
with a navigation radio,
many of the turn-by-turn
navigation features
will also be displayed on
the HUD if you are in
Street Mode.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
• Track Modes 1 and 2 — No minor gage, coolant
temperature, transmission oil temperature, engine
oil temperature and engine oil pressure.
After replying to this post, this morning I checked my track1 hud. 4 of the 5 listed above.

It looks like I'm only seeing : no gage, coolant temp., eng. oil temp., eng. oil pressure.

Has anyone else cycled through their pages to see which minor gages they have avail?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I just checked my hud after a short trip. In the track mode 1 or 2, 1 see 4 different gages, one at a time. Water temp, oil press., and oil temp. are obvious. The 4th one seems to be tranny oil temp.

EDIT: Note, the owner's manual for 2005 indicates on page 3-48, that automatic transmission fluid temperature is displayed on the HUD and/or DIC if equipped. Sounds like manual tranny cars don't have tranny fluid temp. on the DIC and HUD.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Fuel Gauges

Quick Reply: C6 Fuel Gauges