C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Cold Airbox Save $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not i had the same idea a few weeks ago but I thought the angle of the filters when they were turned over was too great and would cause them to hang down. Also, I didn't know how to seal them to the shroud. When you finish and have some pics i'm going to try it.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

You can actually rotate the filter housings in the main body quite a bit. Even thought the openings are "shaped", they are flexible, and have enough play to make adjustments.

I don't know if I'll get to work on the project further this week (on vacation next week), but will update when I can.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by aaaaa
Believe it or not i had the same idea a few weeks ago but I thought the angle of the filters when they were turned over was too great and would cause them to hang down. Also, I didn't know how to seal them to the shroud. When you finish and have some pics i'm going to try it.
Thanks
Playing around last night, I heated the Filter holders in a 140 deg. oven for 10 min and they force fit just fine.
It would be great to have a kit that had filters, templates, an add on shroud and instructions for this for say $199.00. If there were real gains I bet it would sell !!!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baf2000_1
Playing around last night, I heated the Filter holders in a 140 deg. oven for 10 min and they force fit just fine.
It would be great to have a kit that had filters, templates, an add on shroud and instructions for this for say $199.00. If there were real gains I bet it would sell !!!
Didn't think of heating them-good idea! I bet it would sell too.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've made my templates (out of stiff paper), and will hit the sheet metal brake when time allows. I don't think I'll go to the trouble to make a perfect seal, but should be able to contain most of the air. Personally, I'm more concerned with losing precious air to the radiator, than "ramming" air into the intake. As most of us already know, "ram air" is usually very small compared to the benifits of "cold air". I already know my mod is good for making "cold air"
Old 11-08-2005, 07:05 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Why do you think GM wouldn't do something like this from the factory?
It seems so simple, no added cost, clear benefits.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:23 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably for fear of someone hydrolocking their engine and GM having to replace it on their dollar. If you do this yourself and they hydrolock the engine, it's on your dollar.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

water, AND the filter get dirty faster when they can get fresh air. I know that sounds stupid, but everything must fit into their "recommend service interval"

From past experience, one weekend at the track can fill your filter full of debris if you travel aggressively behind competitors (isn't that the point?).
Old 11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default system...

So David,how's the system working for u so far??
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

I did it last night then drove about 50 miles to check it out. First impression is no SOTP difference but i did stop and feel the intake and it was cold. Not cool, but COLD. Everything from the filters to the manifold was cold. This has got to improve performance but not enough that I could sense it. The filters are high enough that I'm not worried about water. In fact they are about the same height as stock just upside down. My only complaint is my workmanship. I am not skillfull enough to have done this well. The shroud is pretty butched up-not something I'm proud of but it was difficult to cut in place.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

same here, good results, but ugly construction. Once I build my templets to rivet to the tops/sides, I'll likely pull the shroud off and clean up my cuts., even though you won't be able to see it
Old 11-17-2005, 10:04 PM
huskeric
Pro

thanks for the idea! I just completed and can easily tell a difference. The car simply pulls much harder and breaks the tires loose like never before. Though I've not dyno'd, I can say I have picked up a few free ponies...
Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Default My Imagination?

The only thing I've done is this CAI and removed the screen. I didn't notice any improvement but I liked the idea. It's been just over a week and the car seems stronger but I chalked that up to my imagination. Today on my way to work I needed to change lanes and gave it a bit too much gas, the tires broke loose (TC/AH on) unintentionally. That has never happened before. It took me by surprise. Is it the colder weather, my imagination or is the car running better?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:21 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I did something very similar but used cone K&N's. If someone wants to host/post the pictures I will e-mail them to you. My entire set-up cost 110 bucks and looks awesome with a chrome pipe, clean cuts, and the stock air bridge was adapted to fit the peices. I have no desire to change what I have especially due to the looks of the system.

My main goals were to get away from having to use paper filters and to get some cool air in the engine compartment/filters. I cut the shroud in a way that the flaps hang down blocking water from hitting the filters. I never drove in rain but I'm sure its as good as any other that breaths from the bottom.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Can't wait to se the pics.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:04 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by aaaaa
Can't wait to se the pics.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:00 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I did something very similar but used cone K&N's. If someone wants to host/post the pictures I will e-mail them to you. My entire set-up cost 110 bucks and looks awesome with a chrome pipe, clean cuts, and the stock air bridge was adapted to fit the peices. I have no desire to change what I have especially due to the looks of the system.

My main goals were to get away from having to use paper filters and to get some cool air in the engine compartment/filters. I cut the shroud in a way that the flaps hang down blocking water from hitting the filters. I never drove in rain but I'm sure its as good as any other that breaths from the bottom.
I'll host your photos if you'd like. PM me and I give you an address you can send the photos too. I'll set it up and then send you a link.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Cold Airbox Save $$$$

Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 PM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I just finished removing the shroud and flipping over the stock air filter holders. And there is definately a difference in the acceleration of the car! In my mind seat of pants is all that matters. Now this would not be good to drive in the rain but is an improvement in breathing. Much more air gets into the engine comp. and she runs 10-15% cooler too!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 PM
KHAN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

u can host pics on www.tinypic.com

Let us see what you did.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by quickride
I'll host your photos if you'd like. PM me and I give you an address you can send the photos too. I'll set it up and then send you a link.
PM sent. Please just give me your e-mail address and take care of the rest. I don't have much in the way of computer know how or interest.

If anyone else beats him to the punch I'll send the Pictures to the first e-mail address I get. You take care of it from there.

Quick Reply: DIY Cold Airbox Save $$$$