C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SWAIN TECH coating for my LG Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SWAIN TECH coating for my LG Headers

UPS delivered my new LG Longtube headers yesterday. I finally decided on having them coated by SWAIN Tech Coating, www.swaintech.com .Swain does coatings for the Corvette C6-R and other race teams. It is not as pretty as Jet Hot but it is a true ceramic coating that is .015” thick. Swain coating is not affected by high temperatures like other coating because it is ceramic and will not change its state until the metal that it is attached to starts to melt. The Jet Hot is about .003 “thick and is aluminum based. The other good thing about Swain is the fact that they are located about 35 miles from my house so I just delivered my new LG headers to them in the back of my Jeep. .
I will keep everyone informed.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

what did it cost ?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
what did it cost ?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

White Lightning Coating

Swain Tech Thermal Barrier Coating, TBC-EX -- TBC-EX is a 3-layer .015-.020" thick permanent coating. The coating is pearl white in color and extremely durable. It reduces radient heat by more than 50%. (It is NOT Hi-Temp paint like other products.)

AUTOMOTIVE HEADERS ORDER FORM
10-Cylinder $280-$425
8-Cylinder $225-$275
6-Cylinder $175-$215
4-Cylinder $125-$165
Cast Iron Manifolds (non-turbo) $125-$175
Turbo Charger Housing $75-$100
Collectors, Turbo Tubing, Odd Lengths Quote
Stainless Headers Add 30%
Zoomies $200
Old 11-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for pics of the install! I only wish I would have researched it a little more before I installed a set.

I will also be interested in your temp readings with the relocated ambient temp sensor.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:35 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did it cost ?
My Kooks' stainless headers cost $265 + shipping. Had them drop shipped from Scoggins-Dickey. Finish is whitish in color and doesn't change over use and it does knock down the temps.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:20 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry, I just got back home. I will do photos of my SWAIN coated LG headers when I get them back and let everyone know what I paid. I had a set down talk with Dan Swain the President of Swain Tech Coatings and found out that he has a C5 Corvette that he ran in a Lap of America. This is a no BS coating. Someone needs to tell me how to put the photos on the Forum.
gary@grbowler.com
Old 11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Swain Tech does a great job with their coatings. They coat about anything metal that needs coating. Their piston coatings are spending but very nice. Good luck and sleep good knowing your headers are at the right place.

Randy
Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Swain Tech does a great job with their coatings. They coat about anything metal that needs coating. Their piston coatings are spending but very nice. Good luck and sleep good knowing your headers are at the right place.

Randy
Randy,
I think SWAIN is for Corvette owners that want more than looks. You are correct about the cost but the quality is above all the others and if worth every cent. Does DRM use SWAIN? I know that Audi and the C6-R GT1 teams do. It makes me feel good that I made a correct choice. Thank you for your credible input. I will sleep good!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Lusky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone close to South Louisiana that does the ceramic coating?

thanks,
Lusky
Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Well...no rush or anything but Im sorta still waiting to see what it looks like. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:08 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crabman
Well...no rush or anything but Im sorta still waiting to see what it looks like. Thanks.
crabman,
Go to www.swaintech.com .They show some coated headers on the web site. Swain is not a nice looking as Jet Hot but that is not what Swain is all about.
I will take pics of my LG when I get them back. Swain could take two weeks. My C6 is up for the winter so that is not a problem
Old 11-29-2005, 02:52 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

SWAIN had this pic of a 4 cyl header
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2005, 03:34 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Ah, thanks that works fine. I had already went to the website but didnt see a picture with that detail. Looks fine to me and the performance of the coating is more important to me than its looks anyways. Still, dont want to bolt something up that I percieve to be butt ugly so I was wanting the better look.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:22 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ah, thanks that works fine. I had already went to the website but didnt see a picture with that detail. Looks fine to me and the performance of the coating is more important to me than its looks anyways. Still, dont want to bolt something up that I percieve to be butt ugly so I was wanting the better look.
Some like the white just fine. The Shelby Cobra owners love the SWAIN coated headers with side pipes all in white. I ordered a case of VHT flate black for my LGs. With the SWAIN coating as a thermal barrier the 1500 degree VHT will never burn off.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have used their coatings on the pistons before. It is always top shelf and stays even in the tuffest conditions. I haven't tried their header coatings because most headers either come coated or are SS and don't really need coating. But SS can benifit from using coatings, it makes them ready to go to the moon. Over kill? Maybe but you will have a setup you will never worry about again.

Randy
Old 11-30-2005, 04:34 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We have used their coatings on the pistons before. It is always top shelf and stays even in the tuffest conditions. I haven't tried their header coatings because most headers either come coated or are SS and don't really need coating. But SS can benifit from using coatings, it makes them ready to go to the moon. Over kill? Maybe but you will have a setup you will never worry about again.

Randy
Randy, the following is from CF member Brett:
I have Dynatech SuperMaxx headers instead of the LT's but they are almost identical.

On my test runs with the stock exhaust the IAT min temp was 77 with a max of 111. With the headers it was min 84 with a max of 133. Ambient temps were within 2 degrees during both runs. I did run another test with the headers but the ambient was higher at 86 degrees. This test was three 1/4 mile runs with a cool down run at highway speeds between each run. The car did not idle for more than a minute during this entire test. The results were min IAT 90, max 120. In all of the recordings I have done with my car I have never seen the IAT over 120 with the stock exhaust. Now with the headers it will reach 130 in a little over a minute of idling at normal operating temps. Once the IAT rises it takes a few miles of driving to get the temps back down.

All testing was done using EASE software connected to the ECM. Which means the numbers I see are the same as reported to the ECM.

However the engine bay does cool faster with the headers when you shut it down.

I just noticed that you have the CAI option on your Halltech. This might solve the high IAT problems I have seen. I wish there was someone close to Houston with the Halltech CAI that would allow some IAT testing to see how well it works.
END QUOTE
I hope the SWAIN coating keeps the underhood temp. down.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:19 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

what did it cost ?
The SWAIN coating of headers (2) cats, (1) X pipe & (2) mid pipes is $490.00. Swain is also coating the inside of the headers as deep as possable

Get notified of new replies

To SWAIN TECH coating for my LG Headers

Quick Reply: SWAIN TECH coating for my LG Headers