C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a z51?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Art Wake
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a z51?

I am in the market for a new corvette and recently have been to several dealerships. I want an 06 loaded, with z51. My question is why would the sales people be trying to talk me out of the z51 package. It seems that more then not they say it's not worth it, the ride is to rough and so on. Am I missing something or should I stay away from the z51.

My reason for wanting it is not to go to the race track I just want all the performance I can get and don't want to look back and wish I had it.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Because they don't have one in stock or can locate one for you to sell to you.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Wake
I am in the market for a new corvette and recently have been to several dealerships. I want an 06 loaded, with z51. My question is why would the sales people be trying to talk me out of the z51 package. It seems that more then not they say it's not worth it, the ride is to rough and so on. Am I missing something or should I stay away from the z51.
My reason for wanting it is not to go to the race track I just want all the performance I can get and don't want to look back and wish I had it.
There has been availability problems, so if you're set on Z51 they may not have a sale.
Get what you want.
And I don't know why you wouldn't want Z51, unless you're driving on really crappy roads. Then F55 may be the ticket.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sales folks are saying that because the average car owner as well as some corvette owners place a priority on ride quality. Some prefer the base or F55 suspension options. That being said many people don't think the Z51 ride is uncomfortable. The Z51s ride is no worse than other sports cars that have only one suspension setup available, such as M3s, some 911s, 350Zs.

I don't blame the sales people for trying to talk you out of the Z51. Chevy misleadingly advertises it as an option suitable only for track driving when that is not necessarily true. Some like it on the street as well. Everyone has a preference.

Last edited by rfopt; 02-18-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I can vouch for that..The F-55 is the way to go.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven both the Z-51 and non Z51. I bought the non Z and made a few upgrades. When the road gets BUMPY, the Z51 gets NERVOUS. I live in the Northeast with bumpy roads and my non z with some carefully selected upgrades never gets nervous.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:11 PM
BrandonS
Racer

Yea, but wouldn't you expect a less predictable, more bumpy ride over uneven pavement w/ a stiffer suspension to begin with? I don't have a c6, but i do have an s2000 w a suspension stiffer than stock. You just need to know when to use the full potential of your car and when not to. A super stiff susp. will be better suited to the track, but will also still perform under nominal road conditions..... but if the road is bumpy you'd better watch out. I have no doubt that the f-55 will out perform a z51 under those conditions.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:28 PM
d_bravo33
Instructor

As a couple of people have said, it's likely that the sales reps didn't have one in stock or inbound. Did you find one to drive? The only way to decide, I think, is to drive both the Z51 and base or F55. If you don't see the difference, save your money.

My '96 LT4 was equipped with Z51 and we loved it. I ordered my C6 with the option after test driving two with Z51s, and two with base suspension. It simply preference...and, for me, being close to lots of smooth, curvy roads and some accessible tracks in Northern California.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:37 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

If GM ran their operation right, you should be able to buy/order the vette that YOU want. Sometimes that is not always the case, though, especially with the vette.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Wake
I agree with those who say or imply that it is likely that they don't have one available to sell you, nor can they get their hands on one to sell you. Z51 has been on constraint for most of the '05 and '06 production run. Ask yourself why.

Don't tell me.......The salesman likely told you that there was not "that much" of a performance difference between the two in an effort to get you to buy the non Z51 equipped car didn't he? Don't believe it. Any time someone tells you that consider their motives. More often than not, they either are trying to sell you a non Z51 car or they are trying to justify their own purchase.

Indeed you do. I could not agree more. You are about to buy a CORVETTE . ..........So get all the factory performance that you can afford and don't let the fact that they cannot get what you want, deter you and make you end up with something that you do not want. It is a fact that the Z51 offers the most factory performance in the C6 Corvette money can buy short of going to the Z06.

Don't settle for less because you will regret it. No need in making a monthly payment or paying cash for something less than what you wanted in the first place. Every month you send in that payment you are liable to wonder what might have been had I gone ahead and gotten a Z51. If you are spending that much money, then you may as well get what you want and don't worry about whether some salesman is going to make his commision.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-18-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:04 PM
z51dcs
Advanced

Do you prefer better cooling, braking, acceleration, and handling; or do you prefer a ride that is more compliant? Its personal preference and you really can't go wrong, performance levels of all C5 and C6 vettes are far superior to most other vehicles you will encounter. I have had both, my preference is Z51, I like to charge thru corners as hard as possible.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 PM
99 The Hard Way
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this was mentioned, but I bought the Z51 for the gearing and the brakes, not the suspension. I can adjust that somewhat with different shocks. In the C6 it's more than just suspension, it's a performance package. I think it also has extra coolers, and I don't recall the G meter on the heads up display on the non Z51. Just a few more thoughts
Scott
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rfopt
The sales folks are saying that because the average car owner as well as some corvette owners place a priority on ride quality. Some prefer the base or F55 suspension options. That being said many people don't think the Z51 ride is uncomfortable. The Z51s ride is no worse than other sports cars that have only one suspension setup available, such as M3s, some 911s, 350Zs.

I don't blame the sales people for trying to talk you out of the Z51. Chevy misleadingly advertises it as an option suitable only for track driving when that is not necessarily true. Some like it on the street as well. Everyone has a preference.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Daylon
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I've driven both the Z-51 and non Z51. I bought the non Z and made a few upgrades. When the road gets BUMPY, the Z51 gets NERVOUS. I live in the Northeast with bumpy roads and my non z with some carefully selected upgrades never gets nervous.
A set of Bilisteins will cure the nervous feeling, just swapped mine and could not believe the difference!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS WON
Because they don't have one in stock or can locate one for you to sell to you.

Unless you said something indicating ride quality is a high priority for you, IMO the only reason a salesperson would try and talk you out of it would be if he/she didn't think he could get one (or get one quickly, he wants to sell you a car today after all).
Old 02-18-2006, 08:37 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Daylon
A set of Bilisteins will cure the nervous feeling, just swapped mine and could not believe the difference!
That's not suprising. My impresion test driving a Z51 was that the stock shocks were crude.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Daylon
Pro

Originally Posted by xs650
That's not suprising. My impresion test driving a Z51 was that the stock shocks were crude.
Very, If I was ordering a new Z51 I'd order the shocks first then the car!

Get notified of new replies

To Why a z51?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 99 The Hard Way
I don't recall the G meter on the heads up display on the non Z51. Just a few more thoughts
Scott
The non-Z51 has a G-meter on the HUD. I've got the base suspension and I can assure you that it's there.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:25 PM
fredgpowell
Pro

I would say z51.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:22 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

There are very strong opinions and preferences on this issue...but what it should come down to is YOUR priorities and how YOU are going to use the vehicle. IMHO you should figure out what's important to you and how you are going to use the car and then test drive both and decide what works best for YOU.

If you test drive the F55, be sure to drive it on less than perfect roads...this is where it has it's advantages.

Quick Reply: Why a z51?