C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End From C5 In C6?

Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rear End From C5 In C6?

Anyone heard if a C5 rear center will fit in a C6? I read that somewhere & I'm hoping to put a built rear from a C5 in my 6

Thanks

Jason
Texas Speed
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

These pictures are of the mounting bolt pattern for both the early 2005 differential and the C5 differential that some people have put on the C6. It appears that the bolt pattern for the C5 and early 2005 carriers are identical making the switch to the C5 differential for those with the weakest 2005 C6 differential only require the switch to a modified mounting bracket for the C5 rear. Note: if you can already mount a 2006 diff to your 2005 C6 then you can't mount the C5 diff directly without changing the rear part of the transmission that mates to the carrier.

The C5 rear uses a center mounting bracket with 2 bolts that come out of both the top and bottom of a separate rubber mount. The mounting of the C6 rear is on the sides of the carrier and cause more stress to the casing.

To mount the centrally located bolts requires the drilling for the new mount location. A separate peice could be used to connect the C6 mounting locatios for the outgoing C6 carrier. It appears much less involved than previously beleived since the rear casing of the transmission is the same for those with the weakest casing.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you just swap the end castings with the different mounting brackets from the early C6 onto the C5 unit? I have a very early 05 C6 and was thinking of using my Z06 carrier out of my C5 too.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:51 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

I had thought about that as I beleive the reason they are breaking is due to the wing mounts rather than the case exploding from weakness, however, the case doesnt accept the center mounting bracket from the C5's rear and it would require a weld. The core is 700 bucks for the C5 so it isnt as big a deal. The C6 core will be of value to those that did break one and don't want to go through the process of this swap. At 2050 for the C6 core, the swap will pay for itself.

GM will eventually revise this issue eventually since they are having to pay for it in the form of warranty work.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Nicodemus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it seem that some sort of gridle for the case to distribute the load on the case would solve this problem? Where are the cases cracking? I thought that the force of the ring and pinion was what was cracking the cases. I am very interested in this because I have 4.10 gears installed and this would most likey leave me to cover the cost if it breaks. I had these installed before I found out about the cases busting. Does anybody have any pictures of a broken case?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't it seem that some sort of gridle for the case to distribute the load on the case would solve this problem?
Yes there is.

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dte_c6_diff_strut.htm
Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

So again, If I have a 3:42 ZO6 C5 rear and I want to use it in my very early (June of 04) built 2005 C6 can I just pull the ends of the case off of my C6 rear diff and bolt them in place on my C5 3:42 ZO6 diff and Iam good to go? I dont need the C5 mount anymore if Iam putting them in my C6. Iam not worried about strength, my car will be very mildly modded and will not run slicks. I will take the chance something might break and deal with it if it happens.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Cucchiara
So again, If I have a 3:42 ZO6 C5 rear and I want to use it in my very early (June of 04) built 2005 C6 can I just pull the ends of the case off of my C6 rear diff and bolt them in place on my C5 3:42 ZO6 diff and Iam good to go? I dont need the C5 mount anymore if Iam putting them in my C6. Iam not worried about strength, my car will be very mildly modded and will not run slicks. I will take the chance something might break and deal with it if it happens.
No you cant just pull the ends off since you need something to hold the diff in the car attached to the cradle. Not sure if the ends are interchangeable. The C5 diff. attaches with a center mount and doesnt have the ends stressing the case. After viewing all options Cartek decided that the C6 case even with available fixes went with a C5 install in their C6. I will go with their view on this one. The side mounts are the problem.

If anyone wants to buy a brand new DTE brace in the DTE link above, I have one new in the box, unused for 325 shipped. They have been shown in practice to add to the strength of the case and even in the event of diff failure it holds the assmebly together so as to not take other parts with it such as the transmission output shaft. The C6 strut is different in design than the C5 strut and therefore will not work with my diff swap plans.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 03-27-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:29 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

I plan on riding out my diff until it breaks, if it breaks...I'll probably buy your brace and hope to make it through the summer. I just hate the pain in installing them. I'm hoping my easy launches will win out.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

lemmee know

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End From C5 In C6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End From C5 In C6?